Transfer speed down after a while RRS feed

• Question

• I had an old PC on which I installed a 120 days trial version of WHS. At first it worked just fine, but after a while the connection speed between my desktop and server went down to 20 kbps. Copying files from my PC to the server is fine, but ie. I can't even play music directly from my WHS network shares!

I bought a brandnew server, a new network hub that supports gigabit connections and I installed a purchased WHS on it. Same as before, it worked fine, even better now with the gigabit connection.
    But since this morning, I got exactly the same problem. Copying files from my WHS to my desktop is ridiciously slow (about 15-50 kbps).
    This is what I tried so far:
    - Reboot both machines
    - Reset router and hub
    - Restore factory defaults on router
    - Ping gives perfect results (no timeouts, every ping has <1 Ms)

I don't even know where to look for possible causes...
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I found the cause of the problem, and it's very serious. There are 2 brandnew hard drives in the server that I use for data. One of those 2 hard drives is failing. The event viewer shows a lot of CRC errors, and the particular harddrive makes an unusal clicking sound...

Fortunately, I had replication on for all my data, so everything >should< still be on my other hard drive.

So now the question is, what is the best coarse of action to fix this ? I tried copying all data to an eternal hard drive, but it fails because of CRC errors... The problem is becoming more and more severe...
    • Marked as answer by Mathieu Maes Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:38 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Hi Mathew,
    the FAQ How to recover data after server failure may help you to recover the data.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:37 PM
  • You can try removing the drive from the storage pool using the Windows Home Server console. That may or may not work, depending on the exact problem. If it doesn't, since you say you already have duplication turned on for all shares you can:
    • shut your server down
    • physically remove the drive from the server
    • restart your server
    • remove the drive (now shown as "missing" in the console) from the storage pool.
    If you do this, you may lose your backup database (which isn't duplicated) if any of the components of the database are on the failing drive. You really don't have a choice in this, however.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:56 PM

All replies

• Is it really a hub, or is it a switch? If a hub, it would be sensible to collisions, while a switch creates point to point connections between machines in your network.
    Does that happen in both directions or only in one?
    What happens, if you attempt to copy a similar amount of data locally on your client PC?
    Which security suite is involved?
    Which operating systems on the client? Are the drivers and the Bios on both the client and the server up to date, as well as the firmware of the router?
    Are there more than one network adapter and more than TCP/IP protocol installed on the client?
    Olaf
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Thanks for your reply,

- Sorry, it's not a hub. I have a DSL Modem/Router and a seperate Switch.
    - It happens in only 1 direction. Uploading to the servers goes like a breeze, downloading is lowband
    - I also tried transferring files from/to my laptop. My laptop (running XP) does not seem to have any trouble
    - I only have 1 harddrive with 1 partition in my desktop. Copying files happens almost instantly. I also tried copying files from a USB drive to the harddrive, it transferred 10/Mbps which is pretty good for USB tranfers.
    - I have no additional security software on my machines as it only slows down stuff. They both have the standard firewall enabled and Vista has Windows Defender.
    - The desktop is running Vista 64bit. I tend to keep all firmware, BIOS software and drivers up to date.
    - Yes, my network has a bit more devices: Firstly I have a DSL modem/router with Wifi enabled and a built-in 4-port switch. There is a laptop, PPC and Nintendo DS using the Wifi. I have 1 long cable (about 10 metres) going from the router to the 5-port switch. Both the server and Desktop computer are connected to that switch.

I also forgot to mention that the problem doesn't occur all the time. It happens pretty much all the time, but it has some good moments too. I tried analyzing my network traffic with some freeware tools, but there isn't any unneeded traffic going on that I can detect...

Kind regards,
    Mathew

Friday, May 1, 2009 9:11 AM
  • Hi Mathew,
    that sounds all relatively fine.
    What happens, if you connect to a shared folder on your wife's laptop and try to copy stuff from here?
    Did you verify, that the cable is ok for the connection between the switch and the PC and has no (even slightly) damage?
    Since you say, the problem is during downloading from server sometimes, does this happen mainly around full hours or on Sunday during the backup window? Around each full hour a duplication run is done on the server, and on Sunday the backup cleanup is scheduled, which both could explain a slowdown. Also if another backup is running on the same or another machine, the prompt delivery of data could be affected.

Olaf
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

I found the cause of the problem, and it's very serious. There are 2 brandnew hard drives in the server that I use for data. One of those 2 hard drives is failing. The event viewer shows a lot of CRC errors, and the particular harddrive makes an unusal clicking sound...

Fortunately, I had replication on for all my data, so everything >should< still be on my other hard drive.

So now the question is, what is the best coarse of action to fix this ? I tried copying all data to an eternal hard drive, but it fails because of CRC errors... The problem is becoming more and more severe...
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Hi Mathew,
    the FAQ How to recover data after server failure may help you to recover the data.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:37 PM
  • You can try removing the drive from the storage pool using the Windows Home Server console. That may or may not work, depending on the exact problem. If it doesn't, since you say you already have duplication turned on for all shares you can:
    • shut your server down
    • physically remove the drive from the server
    • restart your server
    • remove the drive (now shown as "missing" in the console) from the storage pool.
    If you do this, you may lose your backup database (which isn't duplicated) if any of the components of the database are on the failing drive. You really don't have a choice in this, however.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Olaf, Ken,

Thanks for your help. I couldn't figure out which drive is which inside the box, so I went to the hardware manager and disabled the faulty HDD. After that, I removed the harddrive from WHS console and I can now access all my data without CRC errors.

Consider this problem solved!
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:37 AM