Can I use Dell version of XP to repair? RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot get the Key Updater Tool to work.  I am going to try a repair.  My version of XP Pro
    is apparently a coporate version with a blocked VLK.  I have ordered my WGA kit via the internet and received my new legal key.  But the updater will not work after of days of trying.
    I do have a Dell XP Pro CD, with a legal key altho it is unsupported by Microsoft.  Is there any reason I can't use this CD to repair my current installation to see if it will "fix" it ?? (the only realy suggestion that I see has been offered up )   I am trying my best to not to have to wait for the new CD I just purchased and wipe.
    Sunday, September 3, 2006 7:25 PM

Answers

•  rebound wrote:
    I cannot get the Key Updater Tool to work.  I am going to try a repair.  My version of XP Pro
    is apparently a coporate version with a blocked VLK.  I have ordered my WGA kit via the internet and received my new legal key.  But the updater will not work after of days of trying.
    I do have a Dell XP Pro CD, with a legal key altho it is unsupported by Microsoft.  Is there any reason I can't use this CD to repair my current installation to see if it will "fix" it ?? (the only realy suggestion that I see has been offered up )   I am trying my best to not to have to wait for the new CD I just purchased and wipe.

Assuming you have a Dell Windows XP Professional reinstallation CD, you can use it with your Dell Product Key to perform a "Repair Install".  Please note that the WGA Kit Product Key will not work with a Dell reinstallation CD because that key is a "Retail Version".

How to Perform a Repair Install of Windows XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Sunday, September 3, 2006 7:45 PM
  • I'm assuming you have a Dell computer.  If you do not have a Dell compuer, you cannot use the Dell reinstallation CD with a non-Dell computer.
    Sunday, September 3, 2006 8:11 PM

All replies

•  rebound wrote:
    I cannot get the Key Updater Tool to work.  I am going to try a repair.  My version of XP Pro

Assuming you have a Dell Windows XP Professional reinstallation CD, you can use it with your Dell Product Key to perform a "Repair Install".  Please note that the WGA Kit Product Key will not work with a Dell reinstallation CD because that key is a "Retail Version".

How to Perform a Repair Install of Windows XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Sunday, September 3, 2006 7:45 PM
  • That answered my question as to whether it would repair.  Thanks a bunch.  Now another question then since the repair with the Dell CD will more than likely work.  If I read you right,
    when installing obviously I can't use the new key sent to me by Microsoft during the install process with the Dell CD.  But, can I then use the Key Updater Tool, after the installation, to update to the new key sent to me in my email from Microsoft for my WGA kit?  Or is that what you mean when you say it won't work ?   I don't mean to belabor the point but I am obsessed with solving this if nothing more than to say I did it and learned from it. What a lesson!  :)
    Sunday, September 3, 2006 8:10 PM
  • I'm assuming you have a Dell computer.  If you do not have a Dell compuer, you cannot use the Dell reinstallation CD with a non-Dell computer.
    Sunday, September 3, 2006 8:11 PM
  • Ok, I understand.  That answers it.  Thanks very much for prompt reply and for all your help with everyone in these forums.
    Sunday, September 3, 2006 8:15 PM