MS Money 2005 UK stopped opening in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using Microsoft Money UK 2005 for over 10 years without any problems on Windows 10. My laptop recently did a Windows update to v1803 and I haven't been able to start MS Money since then. If I click on the Money icon, I get the Windows spinning blue circle for a few seconds, and then goes back to idle without launching MS Money. If I double click the icon, a popup appears with 'Money is already running', but it doesn't launch and there is no MS Money process in task manager.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Money, tried updating the mnyob99.dll file etc., but nothing seems to work. I don't think it is the Windows version itself that is to blame as I can run MS Money fine on another PC with the same version.  However, during the update, MS Money was open and Windows must have tried to shut it down automatically - is it possible that this has left some file or settings locked so MS Money now fails to open?

Friday, June 7, 2019 11:03 PM

Answers

• To provide an update on the problem that I was having (couldn't run MS Money 2005 after a Windows Update), I tried most of the solutions suggested on this page and on another website without any success. At this point, I'd reconciled myself to not having a solution and moved on to using MS Money from another PC (not ideal, but at least it worked there). This has been the situation for the last 4-5 months.

Then, a couple of days ago, my PC did another major Windows update to v1903 (took about 6-7 hours to upgrade) and then, lo and behold, MS Money was working again. I didn't touch anything else, so I'm pretty sure it was the update that fixed it. Still think something was locked under the old version which caused the issue but, whatever it was, this has made my day!

Thanks for everyone's help (particularly Cal Learner and SC489) with this.
    Monday, October 28, 2019 7:10 PM

All replies

• You should not do the Money Deluxe Plus Sunset mnyob99.dll

Try opening Sample.mny.

Also copy your *.mbf files onto other media such as a USB flash drive.

Saturday, June 8, 2019 3:10 AM
  • A lot of my problems when using Money 2005 on Windows 10 were solved by always running Money as Administrator.
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 7:48 PM
  • Make sure you have Internet Explorer 11 enabled under Add/Remove Windows features.

MS Money 2005 (UK) works fine under the latest version of Windows 10 in a user account.

Also run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt to check / repair your system files.

• Edited by SC489 Saturday, July 6, 2019 1:33 PM
    Saturday, July 6, 2019 1:31 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I've done all the things you've suggested in the past (and just repeated) to no avail.  As mentioned, I strongly suspect the culprit is that MS Money was open when a Windows Update occurred and Windows tried to shut everything down and reboot and apply updates - and it hasn't worked since.  So, was wondering whether this could leave MS Money in a state where a file or something else is locked open and doesn't allow it MS Money to start?

Unless someone has some other ideas (short of a clean Windows install), I've almost given up on this.  I have MS Money working on another Windows 10 laptop, so I just use this for the time being.  Not ideal, but not the end of the world either.

Sunday, July 7, 2019 6:06 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I've done all the things you've suggested in the past (and just repeated) to no avail.  As mentioned, I strongly suspect the culprit is that MS Money was open when a Windows Update occurred and Windows tried to shut everything down and reboot and apply updates - and it hasn't worked since.  So, was wondering whether this could leave MS Money in a state where a file or something else is locked open and doesn't allow it MS Money to start?

Unless someone has some other ideas (short of a clean Windows install), I've almost given up on this.  I have MS Money working on another Windows 10 laptop, so I just use this for the time being.  Not ideal, but not the end of the world either.

I presume you have tried opening Money by right-clicking Sample.mny and choosing Open... and that caused your same symptom.

You can make sure there is no *.lrd file in the folder with your Money (*.mbf) file, but if that were the problem, you would get an error message rather than that thing you are getting.

So I now think you should try reinstalling but this time, by carefully paying attention, early in the install process look for something to click on to let you install into a different folder than the default. I forget what it is that you click on.

I think the default is to install into "Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005". You could choose something like  "Program Files (x86)\Microsoft_Money_2005", or  "Program Files (x86)\MMoney2005",  or whatever. Just choose something you will recognize later.

Sunday, July 7, 2019 6:23 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion - I was really hopeful this might work if there was something messed up with the previous installation.  So, I uninstalled the previous installation, manually deleted the "Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005" folder (which was empty after the uninstallation apart from an empty "Common" folder) and then re-installed MS Money. 

After extracting some files, the installer comes up with a screen with the Microsoft terms & conditions on the right and also a "Change where the files will be stored on my computer" icon on the left, so I click on this and choose a new folder as you mentioned and then click 'I agree' to the terms and conditions and then the installer hangs - doesn't go any further and has to be manually killed.  Tried this several times with different folder names (also with/without creating the folder manually beforehand), with the same result.  Where you type in the folder to store files, it also has an option to Browse - if I use this to try to install to an existing folder, the installer shuts down by itself.

Finally, let the installer install into its default location and it now installs fine, but I'm back to the situation where MS Money doesn't start.  Not sure if these installer problems are a general deficiency of the installer (ie doesn't let you change the default location), or something specific to my setup.

PS Yes, I have tried opening the sample.mny file once MS Money is installed - same result (so it's nothing to do with my actual Money files).

Monday, July 8, 2019 6:14 PM
  • One more idea:

Make the "Administrator" account visible on the login screen.

https://www.technipages.com/windows-administrator-account-login-screen

Try logging in as that user, and install from there.

After that, you could hide the Administrator account again.

Alternatively, create a new administrative user, and install as that user.

Monday, July 8, 2019 6:21 PM
  • Try running the MS Money installer as an Administrator and use the compatibility mode for Windows XP
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 10:00 AM
  • To provide an update on the problem that I was having (couldn't run MS Money 2005 after a Windows Update), I tried most of the solutions suggested on this page and on another website without any success. At this point, I'd reconciled myself to not having a solution and moved on to using MS Money from another PC (not ideal, but at least it worked there). This has been the situation for the last 4-5 months.

Then, a couple of days ago, my PC did another major Windows update to v1903 (took about 6-7 hours to upgrade) and then, lo and behold, MS Money was working again. I didn't touch anything else, so I'm pretty sure it was the update that fixed it. Still think something was locked under the old version which caused the issue but, whatever it was, this has made my day!

Thanks for everyone's help (particularly Cal Learner and SC489) with this.
    Monday, October 28, 2019 7:10 PM