Backup strategies ~ What's best? RRS feed

• Question

• Many contributors to this forum stress the importance of multiple backups but I wonder whether the advice is logical.

It goes without saying that any backup will NOT include data added to the primary file since it was backed up ~ fresh backups are obviously more useful if it is necessary to restore a backup (less recent data to reinsert).

A point less regularly stressed is that backups themselves should be opened ~ to prove that they are good to go.

As some here may recall, I have found holding 7 backups named: *** 1 - Monday,  *** 2 - Tuesday,  .... ,  *** 7 - Sunday all stored in one folder on a different drive is a strategy that has worked perfectly for me. On exit from the program I point to  *** # - Today  (whatever that is) and overwrite that backup ~ and I do this EVERY time I exit Money.

Quite separately I save a copy of my data file at the end of every financial year  (and then slightly modify it not to automatically add regular transactions).

My experience of Money is that the easiest way to corrupt the data file is to give the program insufficient time to complete whatever it was trying to do. Having learned that, it is a long time since I have had to resort to a backup ~ and when I did I was able to catch up quickly.

Is there an even better way?

Teabag

PS    I still use Money 2000 International English - which did not include the multiple backup option.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 6:34 AM

All replies

• Money 2000 had the ability to back up with an upon-exit backup and a scheduled backup (which had floppies in mind). I think you are using the upon-exit backup and have selected to have Money ask each time. Then you take the opportunity to change the target filename.

I do my scheduled backup to a USB flash drive. With Money 2000, that flash drive must have less than 2GB  of free space. Money 2005 has that limitation too.

Another thing you could consider is to have a batch file do the following:

1. delete backup #5.
    2. rename backup #4 to backup #5.
    3. rename backup #3 to backup #4.
    4. rename backup #2 to backup #3.
    5. rename backup #1 to backup #2.
    6. take the latest batch file and copy it to  backup #1.

If you want to know how in a batch file you can do step 6, I can tell you. The method essentially finds the latest file that fits a pattern, and lets you do the copy. I don't do that for my Money files, because I use Plus. But I do use a batch file that implements that find-newest method. It is non-obvious. 

Then you could invoke that backup file every week with the Windows Scheduler.

You would think the question of how to best do backups would come up a lot. Nope. I wonder if you are the first, at least the first to do so without it being to late to avoid a major data loss? Maybe not, but I am expect it averages more than 3 years between such questions.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:37 PM