Question Regarding SQL Server 2008 70-432 and 70-452 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to work and attain certification in SQl Server 2008(70-432&70-452). Preveiousl I've no database experince except SQL and access. I want to know can I take the exam of 2008 server by attending trainings and playing with SQL Server 2008. I'm asking this question because on certification page of Microsoft official website I learned that 70-452 exam need 2-3 years of experince in working with SQL server.

Also, there is no recomended book from MS regarding preperation of  70-542 . So which book should I refer.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Regards,

Abbi

Friday, April 23, 2010 3:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Abbi,

Why Microsoft mentioned 2 yrs exp is because of the person who is going to write this certification should have real time experience so that he can easily answer most of the practical questions. However if you put effort and practice for next 6 months to 1 year if you are fresher for this technology then you will be eligible. First go deeply about this product and also prepare to go for latest technology which is coming soon SQL server 2010 so you can save money as well. Even though if you complete SQL 2008 exam then again 2010 will launch most of the company will refer latest technology certified professional. So I would suggest don't go for exam now wait and learn more about this technology, SQL server 2010 is also similar to 2008 so that you can directly go for SQL server 2010.

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    • Proposed as answer by Manish84 Sunday, May 9, 2010 8:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Monday, May 10, 2010 3:19 PM
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:43 AM
  • Abbi,

Yes you can attain the certification, by heavily practicing all the aspects of the cert exams in your learning environment.

In my experience, you can master the concepts in shorter period of time by extensively practicing the subjects - such as partitioning the table or setting up full text indexes on your own dev server installation. The rest of the information is for you to kinda memorize like, how many max instances an Enterprise edition can have, or standard edition can have only 16 instances on a server etc. etc.

Although, I have been working with sql server for 8 years, but I never did any dba work just the development, so I have to do about the same things.

Hope I answered your question.

feel free to write back.

Khan

Friday, April 23, 2010 6:32 PM

All replies

• Abbi,

Yes you can attain the certification, by heavily practicing all the aspects of the cert exams in your learning environment.

In my experience, you can master the concepts in shorter period of time by extensively practicing the subjects - such as partitioning the table or setting up full text indexes on your own dev server installation. The rest of the information is for you to kinda memorize like, how many max instances an Enterprise edition can have, or standard edition can have only 16 instances on a server etc. etc.

Although, I have been working with sql server for 8 years, but I never did any dba work just the development, so I have to do about the same things.

Hope I answered your question.

feel free to write back.

Khan

Friday, April 23, 2010 6:32 PM
  • Also, you can check out the training kit

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Implementation and Maintenance by Mike Hotek

The e-learning module on Microsoft's website is

https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/offerDetail.aspx?offerPriceId=258737

Friday, April 23, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Ok thanks for your advice, one thing more I want to know there is no recommended book from Microsoft about 70-450 Exam, then which study material should I refer for this exam, though for 70-432 exam there is microsoft training kit avalible.

Looking for your coporation once again.

Regards,

Sbbi

Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Hi Abbi,

Why Microsoft mentioned 2 yrs exp is because of the person who is going to write this certification should have real time experience so that he can easily answer most of the practical questions. However if you put effort and practice for next 6 months to 1 year if you are fresher for this technology then you will be eligible. First go deeply about this product and also prepare to go for latest technology which is coming soon SQL server 2010 so you can save money as well. Even though if you complete SQL 2008 exam then again 2010 will launch most of the company will refer latest technology certified professional. So I would suggest don't go for exam now wait and learn more about this technology, SQL server 2010 is also similar to 2008 so that you can directly go for SQL server 2010.

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    • Proposed as answer by Manish84 Sunday, May 9, 2010 8:41 PM
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:43 AM
  • Abbi,

I believe Microsoft will come up with 70-450 study guide at some point in time. I think MS is letting 70-443 and 70-444 study guides get its worth befor getting 70-450 out.

I think if you really have to go with Study guide, then go with 70-443 and 70-444 study guide and add 2008 tutorials to your study materials (as posted by Sachin in an earlier post)

Also, keep in mind that you would probably need both study guides (70-443/70-444) as 70-450 is one exam combining everything.

Good luck,

Bobby Zee

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:29 PM