Register Device License RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone give me a walk-through on how you register a device license for CRM 4?

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:29 AM

Answers

• In addition to Neil's comments,

I believe there is nothing of that sort to register your device license manually.

When you buy the license, you will be given a License & Authorization key which determines the type of license(User or Device CAL) you use and I guess that microsoft might verify it when we run through the Registration wizard for CRM after installation.

Thanks...

Cheers, Edwin
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Hi Carl, when you create a user you'll need to specifcy their Windows logon (AD) username. But the fact that you have purchased a client access license or a device access license for them doesn't matter. I don't think you do anything differently in CRM. CRM doesn't have the ability to record whether a user is licensed with their own CAL or whether they share a 'DAL' (although you might want to make a note of this on a custom field on the user account to make it easier for you to track DAL usage).

If you are ever audited you need to be able to prove that you have the correct mix of licenses to cover your users and/or devices.

I haven't ever actually purchased a device access license, so I'm making some assumptions here, but I'm 90% sure I'm on the right track. If any other community members have purchased DALs, it would be good to know.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

• Proposed as answer by ckeller Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:36 PM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Carl, I don't believe you need to register any licenses for Dynamics CRM.

This is my understanding: Normally, there will be a server license which determines the server license edition (Workgroup, Professional or Enterprise) and enables up to 10,000 client access licenses. These are managed on a 'trust' basis -- Microsoft trusts customers to purchase sufficient licenses for each user or device. If you are audited you'll need to be able to demonstrate you have sufficient licenses, but there is nothing you need to do to register them.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Thanks Neil,

What I was thinking of: You can buy two types of licenses. One for Clients (which you register on a AD user). The other type of license is the device license. You buy this and register a computer, not a person, in CRM.

How do you register this computer-license to access CRM? You cannot use the Active Directory, cause it's not a person.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:00 PM
  • In addition to Neil's comments,

I believe there is nothing of that sort to register your device license manually.

When you buy the license, you will be given a License & Authorization key which determines the type of license(User or Device CAL) you use and I guess that microsoft might verify it when we run through the Registration wizard for CRM after installation.

Thanks...

Cheers, Edwin
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Hi Carl, when you create a user you'll need to specifcy their Windows logon (AD) username. But the fact that you have purchased a client access license or a device access license for them doesn't matter. I don't think you do anything differently in CRM. CRM doesn't have the ability to record whether a user is licensed with their own CAL or whether they share a 'DAL' (although you might want to make a note of this on a custom field on the user account to make it easier for you to track DAL usage).

If you are ever audited you need to be able to prove that you have the correct mix of licenses to cover your users and/or devices.

I haven't ever actually purchased a device access license, so I'm making some assumptions here, but I'm 90% sure I'm on the right track. If any other community members have purchased DALs, it would be good to know.

• Proposed as answer by ckeller Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:36 PM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Thanks Neil and Edwin.

Anyone used this type for licence before and can confirm?

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:35 PM