Install DVD bundled with PP1? RRS feed

• Question

• Will there be such a release? Will Windows Home Server with PP1 in the future (a.k.a. should I wait with buying?)?

Saturday, July 5, 2008 12:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would have thought yes, the fundamentals of PP1 will be incorporated into the WHS DVD, but that could be quite some time away.

If you purchase now, which obviously won't have PP1, then it will be available via Windows Update, as soon as a slot can be arranged, once it becomes 'gold'.

Currently, you can install the beta PP1 with an OEM version of WHS, in which case, you would just need to remove that version, when the final version is available.

Colin

Saturday, July 5, 2008 1:31 PM
  • Microsoft will be refreshing the OEM and eval media once Power Pack 1 is released. (I can't tell you when that will happen, sorry...) However, there will be no real difference between installing PP1 as an update, and installing it as part of the initial installation, so there's no need to wait.
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 4:17 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Microsoft will be refreshing the OEM and eval media once Power Pack 1 is released. (I can't tell you when that will happen, sorry...) However, there will be no real difference between installing PP1 as an update, and installing it as part of the initial installation, so there's no need to wait.

Actually, there is one small difference:  Server Reinstallation (Restore).  As you pointed out before, it seems to be more robust (and forgiving) than RTM.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 4:54 PM
  •  Jeinhor wrote:
    Yes, but if I only have the OEM install DVD, will I be able to recover a PP1 installation without PP1 bundled? Can I get the system up and running and re-install PP1?

Yes.

However, I would recommend you not access any files on the server until after you install all of the critical updates (so PP1 will get installed again).

Saturday, July 5, 2008 11:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would have thought yes, the fundamentals of PP1 will be incorporated into the WHS DVD, but that could be quite some time away.

If you purchase now, which obviously won't have PP1, then it will be available via Windows Update, as soon as a slot can be arranged, once it becomes 'gold'.

Currently, you can install the beta PP1 with an OEM version of WHS, in which case, you would just need to remove that version, when the final version is available.

Colin

Saturday, July 5, 2008 1:31 PM
  • Microsoft will be refreshing the OEM and eval media once Power Pack 1 is released. (I can't tell you when that will happen, sorry...) However, there will be no real difference between installing PP1 as an update, and installing it as part of the initial installation, so there's no need to wait.
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 4:17 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Microsoft will be refreshing the OEM and eval media once Power Pack 1 is released. (I can't tell you when that will happen, sorry...) However, there will be no real difference between installing PP1 as an update, and installing it as part of the initial installation, so there's no need to wait.

Actually, there is one small difference:  Server Reinstallation (Restore).  As you pointed out before, it seems to be more robust (and forgiving) than RTM.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 4:54 PM
  • One more thing that I know of: the boot screen won't change if I install it as an update.

Interesting thought, what happens if I have a PP1 machine and system disk crashes? Will I be able to recover without installing bundled PP1?

Saturday, July 5, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Why would you want to? The reason for the Power Pack is to increase operational speed, cure bugs and an all round general improvement.

Colin

Saturday, July 5, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Yes, but if I only have the OEM install DVD, will I be able to recover a PP1 installation without PP1 bundled? Can I get the system up and running and re-install PP1?

Saturday, July 5, 2008 11:51 PM
  •  Jeinhor wrote:
    Yes, but if I only have the OEM install DVD, will I be able to recover a PP1 installation without PP1 bundled? Can I get the system up and running and re-install PP1?

Yes.

However, I would recommend you not access any files on the server until after you install all of the critical updates (so PP1 will get installed again).

Saturday, July 5, 2008 11:55 PM
  • Got it, thanks.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 9:32 PM
  • Is this going to be available as a download, I have the first release of the DVD and would like an updated dvd without doing all the updates.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:35 AM
  • You will be able to download Power Pack 1 through Windows Update or the Microsoft Download Center once it's released. But no, the Windows Home Server with PP1 .iso isn't likely to be available for general download.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:12 PM
  • Anyone tried slipstreaming the PP1 RC4 update into a WHS RTM dvd?  Using something like nlite.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:54 PM
  •  almonde wrote:
    Anyone tried slipstreaming the PP1 RC4 update into a WHS RTM dvd?  Using something like nlite.

Why would you want to do that?  It's a beta version of Power Pack 1.  Besides, Power Pack 1 makes fundamental changes to the way DE works, so even if you tried to slipstream the final version of Power Pack 1 when it comes out, I don't think you're going to like the results. Wink

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:48 AM
  • I admit there is not a massive advantage from slipstreaming an RC, but i always like up-to-date install media.  Whether it be service packs or 'power packs'.

I can;t see why it should cause any problems, DE is only a windows process after all, SP2 for windows XP introduced some pretty big chnages, there has never been a problem with that.  Anyway once PP1 goes GM it'll be slipstreamed by MS into the install DVD. 

If anything i think it's better to start a system with the most up to date files from the go, less chance of orphan sys files etc lingering on your system.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 9:07 AM
  •  almonde wrote:
    Anyone tried slipstreaming the PP1 RC4 update into a WHS RTM dvd?  Using something like nlite.
    Because Power Pack 1 relies on other updates that have been released since Windows Home Server was released, you would have to slipstream not just PP1, but also those other updates. I don't have a list of them, I'm afraid.

You might find it easier to create a custom system restore image using whssysprep. You'll find instructions over here (scroll down to the post by runtime360).
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Thanks Ken, good advice and a useful link.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:04 PM
  • When I'm testing multiple permutations of an issue, WHSSYSPREP is how I do it. I create the data load I want (as long as it's under about 12 GB) on a server that's been installed and updated, but not activated or OOBE'd. Then I use WHSSYSPREP and take an image of the system disk afterward using Acronis True Image. I can lay that image down in about 15 minutes, then I go through OOBE from a virtual machine on my desktop system. That takes a while if my data load is toward the upper end of the range, but it's not too bad.

Overall, it's dramatically sped up my system prep workflow. The initial installation still takes just as long, but resetting to my original configuration no longer takes hours of my time, and a lack of certainty that I've got the identical software configuration at the end.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:25 PM