CRM2011 Online- sales reps see all open Opportunities, but sec role is set for User owned RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a Sales rep role which is set to read only User owned for opportunities. Open opportunities View still displays all opportunities in the system. nobody shared opportunities.   Is this a bug?

thank you

Nicolette
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Nicolette,

This can be a bit complicated to troubleshoot without access to your system. Since it's online, it is really easy to start a case with Microsoft and would be the simplest way to find out if it's a bug.

A few things to check:

1. Does the Sales Rep have only 1 role? Is there a chance that a different role assigned to the user has rights to view all opportunities?

2. What rights does the sales rep have for "Account" and "Contact"? Does the user have rights to read all accounts and contacts? Does the sales person own the accounts and contacts that are the potential customer on the opportunity? The "reparent" casacade behavior may be giving the user rights to the child opportunities. You can test this by creating a new account not owned by the sales rep, adding an opp to it, and then seeing if the sales rep can see it.

Best,

Phil

Phil Edry – Altriva Solutions – http://www.altriva.com/AltrivaBlog.aspx
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Edry Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:05 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:08 PM
  • It is unlikely that this is a bug since it deals with sensitive features such as security model. Besides Phil's suggestions, another thing you should check is whether the users belong to teams, and if so, whether the teams have other security roles which grant certain permssions to the user implicitely.

Are you able to verify that no opportunities are shared?

Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Thank you Phil

1. Does the Sales Rep have only 1 role? Is there a chance that a different role assigned to the user has rights to view all opportunities?

He has only one role

2. What rights does the sales rep have for "Account" and "Contact"?

He has User rights for Accounts and Contacts

I had Append and Append to rights to Opportunitiy set to organization, and I fixed that without any effect on the Open opps list

Does the user have rights to read all accounts and contacts? Does the sales person own the accounts and contacts that are the potential customer on the opportunity? No

The "reparent" casacade behavior may be giving the user rights to the child opportunities. You can test this by creating a new account not owned by the sales rep, adding an opp to it, and then seeing if the sales rep can see it.

I might have reparented a few accounts, and at that momnet there were noi opportunities created in the system. I will test it

Thank you

Nicolette
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Thank you Gonzalo

I checked that Opps which are assigned to diff users are not shared with my user (not shared at all).

At some point I had a team with all memebers of the organization, and I assigned some specific types of accounts to the team. at that moment I realized the accounts visible for a sales rep are not correct (there were way too many accounts in Active accounts view).

What I did to fix it is removing the users from the team, (which is now empty) and later I will have to reassign those accounts  to a diff team or just user.

There are no other teams at this point.

I think that assigning the account owned by my general team propagated to the subaccounts at that point, which is proably why the active account list was wrong, but I can't see the connection with opportunities.

Daniela

Nicolette
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Thank you Phil, you were right.

I actually realized that Potential Customer on Oportunity is an account owned by my Sales Manager, and even though the Opp is owned by the Sales Manager, my Sales Rep can see that. IS a good lesson. It means that, when a Sales Manager creates an Opp for a rep's account, no assign needs to take place.

thank you Phil and Gonzalo for your good advice.

Nicolette
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:28 PM