Why did a SQL qustion came on my 70-680 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Yesterday took my 70-680 exam and was feeling very confident that I was well prepared to go into the action.. The test started well, but after been taking the test in 30 min. a surpriesed a SQL question pop up and little adrenalin rush went through my body, because I was not prepared to SQL question(s)..

I just want to make notice that SQL question are still the , at least in the exam that I took, but I do not about other people taking the same exam..

So my question is this

Does this SQL question count towards the score on the test?

Best regards,

Thorkell

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:37 AM

Answers

• Microsoft constantly updates and adds content to ensure the ongoing validity and reliability of our certification exams.

To evaluate the psychometric performance of each item, we must see how it performs in an exam like situation. Candidates aren’t scored on these items until we are sure that they are psychometrically sound and technically accurate measures of the content domain. As a result, some of the items that you saw may not have been scored when you took your exam. If they meet our psychometric requirements, they may be scored in future versions of the exam or they may be removed from the question pool.

This is an industry recognized best practice for ensuring the validity and reliability of the exam and is critical to maintaining the integrity of the certification process.

In terms of the SQL question that you saw on 680, although it references SQL, the question is actually about Windows7. It does not require knowledge of SQL to answer it correctly, but you do have to understand how applications, such as SQL, work in the Windows7 environment.

• Proposed as answer by Sean Massey Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, May 25, 2012 3:30 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:25 PM

All replies

• If you wish to challenge exam items, please be sure to do so within 3 calendar days of taking the exam. The necessary form, procedures and contact info can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/exam-policies.aspx#tab4 .

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:11 PM
  • Does this SQL question count towards the score on the test?

If it were in the exam then, yes, it does count towards the score on the test.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Does this SQL question count towards the score on the test?

If it were in the exam then, yes, it does count towards the score on the test.

This is not correct.

A. Microsoft is committed to continually updating exam content and utilizing innovative testing techniques. Our goal is to increase the relevance of our exams, offer a more comprehensive and valuable certification, and ensure the security of exam content. To gather the data needed to update and improve the quality of exams, we present new content to candidates without counting the results toward their score. As soon as we have the necessary data to evaluate the quality of the question, it will be scored. Microsoft will not inform candidates about which questions are unscored; as a result, you should answer every question as if it will be scored.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/exam-prep.aspx#tab3

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

• Proposed as answer by trip_to_tokyo Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:21 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Thank you for your correction: clearly more utterly absurd behaviour on the part of the people who set the exams and clearly out of kilter with every other exam board I have worked with over the years.

This:-

To gather the data needed to update and improve the quality of exams, we present new content to candidates without counting the results toward their score. As soon as we have the necessary data to evaluate the quality of the question, it will be scored

- should clearly not be done in any exam since it could, and should, be done before any exam is presented.

Clearly the examiners are wasting the precious and valuable time of candidates completely unnecessarily.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Microsoft constantly updates and adds content to ensure the ongoing validity and reliability of our certification exams.

To evaluate the psychometric performance of each item, we must see how it performs in an exam like situation. Candidates aren’t scored on these items until we are sure that they are psychometrically sound and technically accurate measures of the content domain. As a result, some of the items that you saw may not have been scored when you took your exam. If they meet our psychometric requirements, they may be scored in future versions of the exam or they may be removed from the question pool.

This is an industry recognized best practice for ensuring the validity and reliability of the exam and is critical to maintaining the integrity of the certification process.

In terms of the SQL question that you saw on 680, although it references SQL, the question is actually about Windows7. It does not require knowledge of SQL to answer it correctly, but you do have to understand how applications, such as SQL, work in the Windows7 environment.

• Proposed as answer by Sean Massey Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, May 25, 2012 3:30 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:25 PM
  • The purpose of the exam is to test a candidate's knowledge and its application: it is not for Microsoft to test out the quality of their exam questions!

I think that thorkel deserves a refund for having his / her time wasted completely unnecessarily.

I have proposed Jeff's second posting as the answer as it appears to answer thorkel's question.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:36 PM
  • The purpose of the exam is to test a candidate's knowledge and its application: it is not for Microsoft to test out the quality of their exam questions!

I think that thorkel deserves a refund for having his / her time wasted completely unnecessarily.

I have proposed Jeff's second posting as the answer as it appears to answer thorkel's question.

Why should they get a refund as I cannot see where they've stated they failed.  If they passed, should Microsoft reverse their pass and give them a refund?

Please see lmunson reply where it clearly states that the question wasn't about SQL, it was about Windows 7 therefore there is no issue with this question being in the exam.

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:02 PM
  • Jeff - they should get a refund because their time is being wasted!

They have paid for the exam.

If Microsoft want to get people to test their exam questions then they should be paid for it - that's only fair.

If Microsoft want to include questions for which no marks are awarded there must be a voluntary section at the end of the exam inviting candidates to participate voluntarily - once again, that's only fair.

Sneaking in questions for which no marks are awarded smacks of bad practice and it's not one to which I subscribe.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:59 AM
  • Jeff - they should get a refund becuase their time is being wasted!

They have paid for the exam.

If Microsoft want to get people to test their exam questions then they should be paid for it - that's only fair.

If Microsoft want to include questions for which no marks are awarded there must be a voluntary section at the end of the exam inviting candidates to participate voluntarily - once again, that's only fair.

Sneaking in questions for which no marks are awarded smacks of bad practice and it's not one to which I subscribe.

You seem to be blind to the fact that the SQL question reported was not about SQL Server at all, it was about Windows 7 therefore it was relevant to the exam.

Can you please show me where the OP wasted their time because they failed the exam because of this question.

Furthermore, when you commence an exam you agree to ALL terms and conditions that go with that exam.  If you don’t want to do test questions, don’t do the exam.  It’s simple.

As Microsoft’s conduct in relation to exams seems to be of concern to you and you have made it quite clear in a number of replies to forum posts that you don’t like Microsoft or the way they conduct their exams (despite being a MCC!), I will create a Discussion on this topic based on your reply as it’s something that should be discussed independent to this thread.

Please Note: To ensure that the OP's thread is not hijacked by dicussion on how and why Microsoft conducts its exams the way they do, any further replies that do not directly address the OP's question on SQL will be moved to the following discussion http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/CertGeneral/thread/a75371ca-dfa2-4099-9d14-c2811ada00ba

Jeff Wharton

• Edited by Mr. Wharty Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:27 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:09 AM
  • Hi

I apppreciate for your reply.

I was raising this question because  in another forum it is stated that this SQL question "were included in error" (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/CertGeneral/thread/1c6dcf9a-d0da-4c87-8734-731315e11175 by Veronica Sopher) and would be removed from the exam. This is said in February 2012, but the SQL question is still on the exam, at least what I got..

Now Imunson has made a good argument for the apperance of this question, which I am satisfied with, where TCP/IP protocol is part of learning for 70-680 exam.

At least I thank you all for your reply,

Best regards,

Thorkell

Friday, May 25, 2012 1:10 PM