none
Need to replace non-primary drive in same slot RRS feed

• Question

• I have the HP WHS.  There are four slots for SATA drives.  I need to replace one of the drives with a larger one.  I can't just unload all my data off that drive by using the Console because I don't have enough room to do that.  What I want to do is image that drive (outside of WHS) like with Acronis and load the data onto a larger drive.  Then I want to replace the smaller drive with the larger one.  Can I do that without causing problems with WHS?  Once WHS boots back up with the replaced drive, will it recognize the larger size drive and a different physical drive in the same slot?

Thank you for your help.

Friday, August 8, 2008 2:02 AM

Answers

1. Install the new drive and add it to the storage pool using the console.
    2. Remove the old drive from the storage pool using the console.
    3. You're done.
    HP recommends you install drives from the bottom up, but it shouldn't cause a problem to have a gap.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 4:26 AM

All replies

1. Install the new drive and add it to the storage pool using the console.
    2. Remove the old drive from the storage pool using the console.
    3. You're done.
    HP recommends you install drives from the bottom up, but it shouldn't cause a problem to have a gap.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 4:26 AM
  • I don't have anymore slots so I can't do the steps you outlined.  I need to replace the drive in the same slot.  I don't want to add it as an external drive either.  In addition, I can't unload the data on the drive I am replacing and then substitute it out later.  There is not enough room.  Can I do the steps I outlined in my initial question?

Friday, August 8, 2008 6:22 AM
  • I recommend against the use of disk imaging tools. Using them may work, but will place your server in an unsupported condition. Here are some alternatives:
    • If you have duplication turned on for all shares (or have space to turn it on), and you are willing to risk the loss of your current backup database until you've backed all your PCs up again, you can simply shut the server down and replace the drive. This will effectively create a "failed secondary drive" scenario. Windows Home Server will complain about the missing drive when it restarts. At that time remove it using the console (Windows Home Server may post a network health warning about duplication, and the removal could take some time), then add the new drive using the console. If, when you removed the drive using the console, you were told that you would lose backups, reset your backup database.
    • Try moving one of your internal drives to an external case, or connecting it using something like this, and installing the new drive in it's place. Then boot your server. I've seen WHS complain about the interface change, though (refusing to fully recognize the drive that was moved out of the server), which could lead you back to the previous suggestion.
    • Connect one of your current drives using an eSATA enclosure. Or the new drive.
    • Turn duplication off for everything if it's currently on, then swap drives as above. There's a window of vulnerability, however, which you may not be comfortable with.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 1:17 PM
  • Interesting that imaging a drive would put WHS in a unsupported condition.  I take that to be WHS won't see the same data and a larger drive and just keep working.  Seems strange that the WHS team didn't allow this.

Based on your information above, it appears that I can't replace the drive in the same slot.  I will have to use an external connection and move the data off the old drive.  I would then not be able to just move the new drive to the old drive's slot because that would change the location of data for WHS.  So I will have an external drive with an open slot in my main bay slots.  This is definitely a bug and unfortunately something I can not do given where the WHS unit is stored.

Thank you for your advice.  Hopefully the WHS team will fix this for the future so I can use my WHS unit for future storage.  Right now I will not be able to use it anymore.

Friday, August 8, 2008 1:50 PM