Firewall and unknown networks RRS feed

• Question

•  

I use WLOC Version 2.0.2500.14 Virus Def 1.24.4919.0 and firewall 1.2.30.112

I have never had an issue really with WLOC until this update. I now have 4 networks connected.

Tampabay.rr.com is my Internet connection via LAN.

Unidentified Network Automatic Tunneling Ps ?

Unidentified Network 6to4 Pseudo-Interface?

Unidentified Network Teredo Tunneling Pseu?

I have a Linksys Router and the modem supplied by BrightHouse Networks which is Moto Surfboard.

This has showed up on all computers with this version of WLOC on my network, I was just hopeing it is a Microsoft and WLOC thing. Right now I have them set to Public until I have more information.

My computer is intel based 3.06GHz processor 512MB Ram 400MHz  running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with ALL updates listed on Microsoft update. Via Chipset.

Also svchost.exe I have 6 listed in Task Manager. Proccess Explorer said they are from Microsoft. Not trusting this since one is using 56-70% CPU power (Celeron D 3.06GHz) and MsMpEng.exe takes up another 30%  somtimes winss.exe and winssnotify.exe don't make things any better when they start taking 10-20% or what ever is left this keeps my system at 100% CPU usage with no end in sight. I have tried uninstalling WLOC and I also ran the clean up tool then reinstall same thing. I have a paid subscription yet can't find the phone number for support. Norton keeps numbers simple to find I can only hope Microsoft will in the future do the same. I would like to use my pc sometime this year so please someone, anyone HELP!!!  PS Why are there so many svchost.exe processes running? My Processor usually stays 25-30 C now it is reaching 40-60 C because it has no cooldown point. I may need a new CPU after this which I am sure I will have to buy my self. For now I have stopped all network activity and killing the process when I have to use the pc.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 5:53 PM

Answers

• Are you using Windows XP or Vista?

if XP

* For the CPU issue, please try disabling PRNP service for the CPU issue. (type services.msc on command prompt, find PRNP service and disable it)

* for the other 4 networks, they are IPv6 transition technologies. Unless you know of an application that you uses them, you can turn them off or even uninstall IPv6 support for XP.

Neeraj

Sunday, December 23, 2007 4:15 PM
  •  

In addition to Neeraj's answers, here's how to reach support - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:16 PM
  • The flow described in the FAQ for how to reach support should be correct - what isn't matching for you?

The phone number is only available after validation of your subscription during that crazy (yes, I hate the support contact flow) process. Since trial users are not entitled to phone support, the flow was created to filter trial users out and direct them to email support only.

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:15 PM

All replies

• Are you using Windows XP or Vista?

if XP

* For the CPU issue, please try disabling PRNP service for the CPU issue. (type services.msc on command prompt, find PRNP service and disable it)

* for the other 4 networks, they are IPv6 transition technologies. Unless you know of an application that you uses them, you can turn them off or even uninstall IPv6 support for XP.

Neeraj

Sunday, December 23, 2007 4:15 PM
  •  

In addition to Neeraj's answers, here's how to reach support - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:16 PM
  • Ok Ipv6 issues fixed PRNP not listed  in services (XP HOME SP2)

Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:19 PM
  • The "flow" is not as it appears. Just looking for the Phone Number I need to speak with them directly.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:23 PM
  • The flow described in the FAQ for how to reach support should be correct - what isn't matching for you?

The phone number is only available after validation of your subscription during that crazy (yes, I hate the support contact flow) process. Since trial users are not entitled to phone support, the flow was created to filter trial users out and direct them to email support only.

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Great well I guess I will enter the swarm and battle it out since I have paid and yet seem to still pay for it lol

Sunday, December 23, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Is "PRNP" a typo? I google on it or "prnp service" and all I see is this post or stuff about nutrition. What is PRNP?

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:34 PM
  •  

I guess it was....
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 10:54 PM
  •  TheDude37 wrote:

Is "PRNP" a typo? I google on it or "prnp service" and all I see is this post or stuff about nutrition. What is PRNP?

I think it may have been a typo. PNRP - Peer Name Resolution Protocol.

See this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, December 27, 2007 1:29 AM