LiveOne Care backup feature RRS feed

• Question

• LiveOnce Care alerts me to the fact that I have not backed up up the files in my PC and that I have to configure the backup feature.
    I proceed to configure backup, I choose "device" and go on to select location. System asks me to "Add a Network Location". I want to backup to a 300 GB external hard disk. So I use "Browse" and click on "F:\" which is the external hard disk. System says that "The entered network share name is invalid". But I find no place where I can enter an external hard drive, rather than a destination in a network where I can backup my files.
    My computer uses Windows XP, Media Center, version 2002, with SP3.
    What should I do next?

Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:30 PM

Answers

• How is the external disk connected to the PC? If it is a eSATA drive, Windows (and OneCare) will see this as an internal drive, which is not a valid destination. If it is connected via USB or Firewire, the drive should appear when your click "where" for the configuration. Clicking the option to add a network location means browsing to a network Share, typically on another device within your network such as a PC or a NAS. If your external drive is not showing up in that first dialog, and is not connected via eSATA, then you may have software installed that is blocking OneCare from accessing it.
    If it is a eSATA device you can use a workaround to configure it as a Centralized Storage device per the instructions here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/22258a6a-3e94-4ac2-a3e7-b21683fb913c
    Note that these instructions will require you to create a Share on the drive or Share the entire drive and set permissions for the Share for Everyone/full access rights which are required for centralized backup to a Share.
    if the drive is connected via USB or Firewire and does not appear and you can't identify any conflicting software and can access the drive via Windows Explorer, please contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:40 PM