none
I forgot my Money password! RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using the Sunset edition for years, including with windows 10. 

I had my computer worked on recently and now I cannot get into the program!  I've already reset my Microsoft password and it doesn't work for Money!  You know how devastating it would be to lose the YEARS of financial data I have.

Friday, July 1, 2016 12:32 PM

Answers

• Thank you, Cal.  I do know the password now (found the notebook that has them all.)  I have only ever used one email with Money.  I chose the "forgot password" option and changed my Microsoft password, but I note that Money wants the password associated with the Live ID I use for signing in to Money.  How very confusing.  I always tick the "I want to sign in to Money directly...." option.

An earlier poster was advised to try to open from the *.mbf and I did make sure I had a fresh one (and a fresh *.mny) before I sent my computer to be checked.  Do you think it's worth a shot?  Heck, anything is!

• Marked as answer by pobruce Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:10 PM
    Saturday, July 2, 2016 2:55 AM
  • OMG it opened.  This time I deleted and re entered my email address and the old password and it opened!  The email address I entered was exactly the same one that I was seeing so go figure!

That is wonderful. I would get rid of the email address part now.

Yes, the forgot password thing is confusing, because it cannot help now.

To remove the Live ID (with the email address), go to
    File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your LiveID.  To remove
    or add a conventional password, also see File->PasswordManager.

A conventional password will be better now that the LiveID servers for Money are gone.

• Marked as answer by pobruce Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:11 PM
    Saturday, July 2, 2016 3:53 AM

All replies

• There are two kinds of passwords.  There is Microsoft ID/
    LiveID/Passport), has both an email address and a password as part
    of the credentials and which I presume you are talking about, and
    there is a conventional password.

I suggest you write down each email address you might have used. Then write
    down all of the email addresses you might have used. Think of permutations.
    Keep paper and pencil by your bed in case you think of something to try.
    Think of all of the places that you may have written down your credentials.
    Even the passwords for other applications may be useful, since many people
    will use similar passwords for different applications.

You must tick the "I want to sign in to Money directly, without
    access to all online services.  " To get that choice, ou may have
    to disconnect from the Internet.  Start Money, and try to log in
    offline.  Try all of the permutations you can think of.  Write down
    what worked.  We did have one poster succeed in remembering the
    credentials. Keep pencil and paper by the bed. Check your notes.

In any case, you will need to use the credentials that were in effect at the time that you
    saved that Money file. Your attempt to change your password had no effect on what Money needs from you.

If you rememberd part of the password, there is a program that could try some things. For example, if you knew the password was somewhere between pobruce0000 and pobruce999, you could get that program to try all of those. The password is case-sensitive. The email address part is not. You don't have to still have access to the email address. You just have to enter what was entered when you applied the password.

Friday, July 1, 2016 8:19 PM
  • Thank you, Cal.  I do know the password now (found the notebook that has them all.)  I have only ever used one email with Money.  I chose the "forgot password" option and changed my Microsoft password, but I note that Money wants the password associated with the Live ID I use for signing in to Money.  How very confusing.  I always tick the "I want to sign in to Money directly...." option.

An earlier poster was advised to try to open from the *.mbf and I did make sure I had a fresh one (and a fresh *.mny) before I sent my computer to be checked.  Do you think it's worth a shot?  Heck, anything is!

• Marked as answer by pobruce Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:10 PM
    Saturday, July 2, 2016 2:55 AM
  • OMG it opened.  This time I deleted and re entered my email address and the old password and it opened!  The email address I entered was exactly the same one that I was seeing so go figure!
    Saturday, July 2, 2016 3:04 AM

That is wonderful. I would get rid of the email address part now.

Yes, the forgot password thing is confusing, because it cannot help now.

To remove the Live ID (with the email address), go to
    File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your LiveID.  To remove
    or add a conventional password, also see File->PasswordManager.

A conventional password will be better now that the LiveID servers for Money are gone.

• Marked as answer by pobruce Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:11 PM
    Saturday, July 2, 2016 3:53 AM