whs 2011 second day dashboard and launchpad ceases function RRS feed

• Question

• On approximately the second day of runtime the WHS 2011 dashboard fails.  This includes the The Dashboard safemode on the server.  I did not install any software.  The only thing I changed was where the shared folders were located, which btw is annoying that you cannot delete them straight out.  

I have 3 client computers 1 win 7 ult 2 win 7 pro they all have the same issue.  

I have re-installed the OS for a 3rd time hoping that it will solve the problem.  I read somewhere that you have to let the server sit for 24hours before connecting computers to it but there is no mention of what will happen if this guideline is not followed.  

Also at about the same time the windows update fails to retrieve updates and also fails to install randomly.

• Edited by jzn2 Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:27 AM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

At first, you need to make sure that your WHS 2011 and clients are all up-to-date.

I think you changed the customized shared folders location? Am I right? By default, there are five shared folders that it can’t be deleted. Only the customized shared folders could be deleted. It’s by design.

At the same time, I suggest that you could look into the Event Viewer to verify whether there are some related errors or warnings included or not. I believe it could be checkpoint here.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:13 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2012 6:40 AM