WHS 120-Day Eval RRS feed

• Question

• I recently received my copy of Windows Home Server - 120 day evaluation and would really like to get it up and running but when I get to the Name Your Home Server screen, no matter what I enter for a name I always get the WHS Setup Error  telling me that the name already exists on your network, try again. What would be the cause of this error and what can I do to get past it?

Thx
    Monday, March 17, 2008 7:57 PM

Answers

• I had ordered it directly thru Microsoft from their web site and I don't believe power cycling the router is necessary since all my machines are working fine with the router as is. When you mentioned KVM I had a thought since my machines are connected thru a KVM so I decided to try it on my laptop. Without any issues It moved past the server name question so there's something not right that is preventing it to go beyond the server name question when trying to install it on the preferred machine that I would like to run / test it on. I will try a few other configurations and see what the outcome will be.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:20 AM

All replies

• If you have keyboard and monitor attached the simplest solution is probably to unplug the network cable and then try again.

If you bought OEM  box with no KVM connectors you could try resetting (power off fo a few minutes, then power on again) your router.

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:34 PM
  • I had ordered it directly thru Microsoft from their web site and I don't believe power cycling the router is necessary since all my machines are working fine with the router as is. When you mentioned KVM I had a thought since my machines are connected thru a KVM so I decided to try it on my laptop. Without any issues It moved past the server name question so there's something not right that is preventing it to go beyond the server name question when trying to install it on the preferred machine that I would like to run / test it on. I will try a few other configurations and see what the outcome will be.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:20 AM