Office 2007 Enterprise: Validation not completed - ActiveX error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to download the 'save as pdf' etc add-in for Office 2007, but Validation is not working for me.

I've tried running IE as Administrator, same problem each time - the ActiveX control won't install. (similar results in firefox)

The error message initially is:

Validation Not Completed: ActiveX Error
    There are several reasons why validation may not have succeeded.

The Microsoft Genuine Advantage Tool requires the user account to have administrative privileges on the computer.
    The Microsoft Genuine Advantage Tool requires access and is unable to communicate with the Microsoft validation servers. Please click here to learn more about troubleshooting your antivirus, antispyware, Internet Explorer and firewall settings.
    [0x80080296]

Then I tried the diagnostic site but it didn't get any further:

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results
    Passed Active scripting allowed 
    Passed Display images enabled 
    Passed Computer time and date correct 
    Passed ActiveX enabled
    Failed Windows validation ActiveX loaded 
    Failed Office validation ActiveX loaded 
    Failed Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded

The link in other threads regarding diagnostic tool doesn't work at the moment so I can't find a way of giving you the detailed information you may need.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 12:41 PM

Answers

• Hello Rjharte,

No problem. Well I verified and the website is operational. Is there a possibility you may have been experiencing temporary difficulity with connecting to the internet through your connection? Please try again. It is good you created a support incident. Take care and keep us posted.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA and OGA forum Manager

Friday, September 7, 2007 9:40 PM
  • Rjharte,

Suggestion, please contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP). The possibly conflict may be between your ISP and MS Servers. What country/city are you located in?

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, September 10, 2007 11:35 PM

All replies

• After failure, did you click on the "Resolve Now" button?

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 1:15 PM
  • Thanks for replying...

Yes, I did click 'resolve now'. I'm brought to a screen as follows:

Adjust Internet Explorer security settings for ActiveX control behavior 

Internet Explorer may not be configured to download ActiveX controls for security reasons, or you might have declined to install the ActiveX control when Internet Explorer prompted you to download, install, or run the control.

Please wait while the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls install. The Microsoft Genuine Advantage program requires the installation of these ActiveX controls.

Do you see Internet Explorer's Info Bar displayed as shown in this picture?

If so, follow the two steps below to install the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls from Microsoft.

If not, and installation of the ActiveX control does not occur, try installation again.

...And so I'm in a loop - 'try installation again' brings me to the same place, because I never see IE's Info Bar.

My security settings in IE and Firefox are at their default.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 1:36 PM
  • Try the following:

1. Temporarily disable any third-party anti-spyware,pop-up blocking, or internet security programs.

2. Launch Internet Explorer and from the Toolbar select: Tools > Internet Options > Security >

Custom Level > Medium High and click the Default button, click OK and Apply.

3. Close Internet Explorer, then launch it again and try validating: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 3:11 PM
  • Thanks again Carey, but alas the same result.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:21 PM
  • Rjharte,

I would like for you to try something before you create a support incident. 

Step 1: Install the OGA engine manually

1. Download the ActiveX cab file from the following link and then save it to the Desktop.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=58813

Open the downloaded cab file and we will find the following two files:

OGACheckControl.dll

OGAControl.inf

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "%windir%\system32" (without quotations) and press Enter. Copy the LegitCheckControl.dll files into the opened system32 folder.

3. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "REGSVR32 OGACheckControl.dll" (without the quotations) and press Enter. We will see a popup message stating this process succeeded.

4. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "inf" (without quotations) and press Enter. Copy the OGAControl.inf file into the opened inf folder.

5. Right click on the copied OGAControl.inf file in the inf folder, and then choose Install. The OGA engine will be installed automatically.

After we finish the above steps, please restart the computer and try to validate Office again.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/WhyValidate.aspx?familyid=8b081f3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af-5a6322f4fd01&displaylang=en

Can we pass the validation successfully? If we do pass the validation successfully this time, we can conclude that the validation issue is now resolved and we need to try the further troubleshooting steps?

If not, let's move on to the step 2 to re-activate the Office Product by phone.

Step 2: Re-activate the Office Product by Phone

Step 1: Rename the data.dat

-----------------------

1. Open the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

2. Locate the data.dat files

Step 2: Contact the Activation Center

-------------------------

Restart the computer and contact the Microsoft Activation Center to re-activate the Office XP program. The Office Activation Center can be reached at (888) 652-2342 from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM Pacific Time.

Please re-post here should you need further assistance.

Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, September 7, 2007 3:06 AM
  • Thanks Stephen - alas I created a support incident before seeing your post, I'm sorry - I received one reply and am waiting on further guidance.

In the meantime, I tried to download the OGA engine manually but click the link above leads to an error:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:

• You are not connected to the Internet.
    • The website is encountering problems.
    • There might be a typing error in the address.

Friday, September 7, 2007 2:58 PM
  • Hello Rjharte,

No problem. Well I verified and the website is operational. Is there a possibility you may have been experiencing temporary difficulity with connecting to the internet through your connection? Please try again. It is good you created a support incident. Take care and keep us posted.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA and OGA forum Manager

Friday, September 7, 2007 9:40 PM
  • Thanks Stephen,

I seem to have a general problem in connecting to the Microsoft servers - Firefox for instance can't load this forum. But even when using Internet Explorer (as I have been doing throughout in this process) the links posted in this forum to MS website refuse to load while my normal internet usage continues unhindered.

I appreciate the help you have tried to give - hopefully we'll find a resolution and I'll let you know.

Kind regards,

Ross.

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:22 AM
  • Rjharte,

Suggestion, please contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP). The possibly conflict may be between your ISP and MS Servers. What country/city are you located in?

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, September 10, 2007 11:35 PM