Backups evaporated! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Backups were successfully performed last night, as where the scheduled CHSDSK activities, but at 18:26 this evening I got the event message:

"Got Error: WHS.Backup.DatabaseFilesMissing Type:WHS_NOTIFICATION_REMOVE Head:The backup database has errors Desc:Click to run the Backup Database Repair Wizard."

There are no other indicators of a problem in any of the logs. One of the discs required a check about a week ago, which was executed and reported as clear, and all three disks appear as healthy in Server Storage, with no CHSDSK errors.

I duly ran the Repair Wizard which, as notified, took some time and when I got back this evening almost all backups for all machines had been lost - well, one machine has backups up to the middle of last month and none since, and my PC only has the backup that's been performed this evening - so presumably no "master" backup if I needed to rebuild my machine.

I'll do full backups for all machines tomorrow and order a spare HDD (I have plenty of small ones but no point in adding anything under 500GB) in case one of the disks is failing, though everything seems OK.

The ease with which these have all evaporated has rather unsettled me as, with the exception of an add-in install that went awry, WHS has been rock solid 'til now :(
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    you are right, that the backup database could be more robust as it is currently.
    Microsoft set high efficiency in storing usually not needed stuff (only needed in case of rare disasters) over reduncancy. It's also not treated as an archiving solution. This may cause sometimes the database go down due to minor errors.
    Also not always damaged sectors are visible in the console, sometimes a look into the event log of the server gives a better idea of what is going on.

But at least usually a backup database loss happens not at the same time in which you need to perform a disaster recovery.

If not already done, you may wish to register on Connect and create a feature request or vote for similar requests.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 2:01 AM