Import organization and User Mapping RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I tried to import an organization in the CRM2011, but I found something that I dont understand and need your comment or advise....

I wish to create an organization B, which the interface is 80% similar to Organization A; So that I backup the db of Organization A and import it as Oranization B, in the CRM deployment manager. When I come to the step of User mapping, I found there are 5 users in the table given, which is from Organization A, but I want it to be empy, except the CRMAdmin. I tried to map the admin as CRM admin which same as the deployment manager, it mapped and imported successfully.However, those user profile from Organization A also mapped and displayed in the CRM of Organization B,and they cant be deleted from the user management. 

It will be confusing if Organization B saw user that not related to them....may I ask how could I only Map the admin but not all user from the source organization while I import the organization please?

Please advise and comment,many thanks

Friday, June 15, 2012 2:46 AM

Answers

• Users cannot be deleted from CRM; and while the Organisation Import allows you to map only a single User, the other User records will still exist in the newly imported Organisation.

There is no supported way around this.  The extraneous Users can be disabled but not deleted.

If you don't require the data from Organisation A, why not create Organisation B as a fresh (out of the box) CRM Organisation.  You can then create a Solution in Organisation A ensuring that ALL customisations are added.  Export that solution and import it into Organisation B.  They will look exactly the same, sans data.

--pogo (pat) @ pogo69.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by Linn Zaw Win Friday, June 15, 2012 6:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ksun_Chan Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:27 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 3:30 AM

All replies

• Users cannot be deleted from CRM; and while the Organisation Import allows you to map only a single User, the other User records will still exist in the newly imported Organisation.

There is no supported way around this.  The extraneous Users can be disabled but not deleted.

If you don't require the data from Organisation A, why not create Organisation B as a fresh (out of the box) CRM Organisation.  You can then create a Solution in Organisation A ensuring that ALL customisations are added.  Export that solution and import it into Organisation B.  They will look exactly the same, sans data.

• Proposed as answer by Linn Zaw Win Friday, June 15, 2012 6:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ksun_Chan Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:27 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 3:30 AM
  • Also.  If some of the data is required, you can use a combination of Advanced Find Data Exports and Data Imports to copy the data from one Organisation to the other.

Friday, June 15, 2012 3:31 AM
  • As pogo mentioned, there's no supported way to delete a user.

Anyway, there will be more users created for Org B, correct?

That time, update the username of those 5 empty users and re-use those user records.

As long as there are not so many users like hundreds of users, I don't think that it going to be a big deal.

For the scenario with so many users, better use the solution import and data import as pogo mentioned.

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:45 AM
  • Hi pogo69, thanks for your reply.

Oh , I can import solution and keep the existing customization? Sorry, I dont know about this way...I am new to Dynamic CRM.....let me have a try.........thanks

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:46 AM
  • Hi pogo69, thank you very much for your comment and advise, I just tested the import solution, it work fine! But I found that, after I import the solution, customized entities remain some default unchange, like the Form interface, some of the fields remain in Organization B which had been removed in organization A. May I ask that is normal; So I have to pull and restructure the Form interface? or I made any mistake during the Import process?

Many thanks

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:31 AM
  • Hi Linn Zaw Win, thanks for your reply. 

*consider. thats tricky but work XDDD, let me have a try on it later so I will know which way is better and save more time for the development, thanks !

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:32 AM