new machine with a windows home server hard dtrive. RRS feed

• Question

• i have a acer home server. I have taken out the harddrive. I was going to put it into another machine. Should i make the harrdrive a primary since it has my server os installed on it. Please reply or email me at nikhilenator@gmail.com. If you have any questions or solutions
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 5:21 AM

Answers

• Why is it that you're removing the drive from your Acer server? Is there a problem with the Acer server? Have you contacted Acer for support?

It's not likely that you will be able to take the drive from your Acer server, install it as the boot drive in some other computer, and have Windows Home Server boot, at least not without a good bit of work. There will probably be too many hardware differences, the most likely result being a blue screen early in the boot process.

If you tell us what you're trying to do, perhaps we can help you a bit more...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:41 PM
  • i am tring to install the harddriveto another machine. We could find accer support
    As Ken said, if you are trying to use that drive in another PC and get it to boot WHS, you have virtually no chance.  If however, you want to install another OS (XP/Vista/7/etc) on it, it should work.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:47 AM

All replies

• Why is it that you're removing the drive from your Acer server? Is there a problem with the Acer server? Have you contacted Acer for support?

It's not likely that you will be able to take the drive from your Acer server, install it as the boot drive in some other computer, and have Windows Home Server boot, at least not without a good bit of work. There will probably be too many hardware differences, the most likely result being a blue screen early in the boot process.

If you tell us what you're trying to do, perhaps we can help you a bit more...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:41 PM
  • i am tring to install the harddriveto another machine. We could find accer support
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:40 AM
    As Ken said, if you are trying to use that drive in another PC and get it to boot WHS, you have virtually no chance.  If however, you want to install another OS (XP/Vista/7/etc) on it, it should work.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:47 AM