Cannot activate XP RRS feed

• Question

• We got hit by lightning late last year, and my Gateway desktop from 2004 died. I was able to save the hard drive with all of my data, files, pictures, etc intact. A friend gave me his extra Sony Vaio desktop computer, but since I did not purchase his copy of Win XP, I wiped his hard drive, took it out and put mine in since it was still good. Legally I should use the one I paid for, and I should be able to use the one I paid for.

Since Gateway uses OEM software, my product key is not working.
    I have called Microsoft numerous times. They have verified my product key is valid and they told me that by reinstalling Windows XP Pro from my original disc, that it would then validate.

But.. that did not work.

So.. I have paid for a computer and Windows XP and I cannot use it even though I have paid for it? Gateway will not help me since the computer is more than 3 years old. Microsoft will let the technical department get it working.. for $59. They tell me my only other options is to purchase Vista or Windows 7.

Look.. this is 7 years old. It will not run Windows 7, and Vista is not an option.
    I simply want to be able to use my hard drive and get my old computer working again - even if it's in a different "body". I shouldn't have to pay $59 to get a 7 year old computer working.. especially since I have my Windows XP Professional disc that came with my computer!

Can someone please tell me either how to get my activation codes to actually activate? Or can someone please give me an updated code so I can use what I have already paid for?

I understand there are safeguards to prevent unauthorized copying / bootlegging. There's a LOT of this out there. But, some of us actually play by the rules, and I would simply like to be able to use my computer... and just because I had to put it into a Sony Vaio desktop should not matter. But apparently it does.

If you can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:39 PM

Answers

• Hello rockrdude,

Unfortunately, you are not "playing by the rules" and that is why you cannot activate your XP.

The license for XP that came with your Gateway computer is an OEM license and as such, is valid ONLY on the computer onto which it was originally installed and activated.  The OEM license does not permit you to move the license to any other computer, period.

Moving the hard disk drive with the installed OEM license from your Gateway is in fact an attempt to move the license to a different computer, and that's not allowed.

Does the Sony have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) sticker for any version and edition of Windows affixed to the computer case?  If so, the computer is still licensed to run that version and edition of Windows.  The person selling you the computer cannot retain the OEM license that came on the computer for other uses, as the license is only valid on that one original Sony computer.

Again, if the Sony has a Windows CoA, you might be able to order a set of Recovery discs from Sony, which would put the licensed installation of Windows back onto the Sony.

Enter your model number into the upper right corner of the following page to see if Recovery CDs are available:  https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/categorySearch.do?operation=subCategorySearch&subCategory=109&category=3&subCategoryName=Recovery%2520CD&categoryName=Computer

You can also try www.restoredisks.com.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:05 PM

All replies

• Hello rockrdude,

Unfortunately, you are not "playing by the rules" and that is why you cannot activate your XP.

The license for XP that came with your Gateway computer is an OEM license and as such, is valid ONLY on the computer onto which it was originally installed and activated.  The OEM license does not permit you to move the license to any other computer, period.

Moving the hard disk drive with the installed OEM license from your Gateway is in fact an attempt to move the license to a different computer, and that's not allowed.

Does the Sony have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) sticker for any version and edition of Windows affixed to the computer case?  If so, the computer is still licensed to run that version and edition of Windows.  The person selling you the computer cannot retain the OEM license that came on the computer for other uses, as the license is only valid on that one original Sony computer.

Again, if the Sony has a Windows CoA, you might be able to order a set of Recovery discs from Sony, which would put the licensed installation of Windows back onto the Sony.

Enter your model number into the upper right corner of the following page to see if Recovery CDs are available:  https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/categorySearch.do?operation=subCategorySearch&subCategory=109&category=3&subCategoryName=Recovery%2520CD&categoryName=Computer

You can also try www.restoredisks.com.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply, Dan.

There are restore discs available for a price, and I'll just spend the money and order a set.
    I guess I figured that since Microsoft told me my verification codes would work, that they would work.
    But, I understand I was on the phone with various call centers in other parts of the world, and that the people I spoke with did not truly understand what was going on, and that they were reading from scripts.

At least the discs are available, and I thank you for pointing me in the right direction. :o)

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 7:11 PM