Remote access: which message to believe? RRS feed

• Question

• On my Windows Home Server setting dialogue, I see that remote access is "not available". If I click on repair, the wizard tells me it is unable to configure my router for UPnP and that remote access is not available. 

If I click on the "details" button in the Domain Name section, and click "refresh", it tells me all is well and "Your domain name is configured and is working correctly. You can now lo on to Remote Access".

So which message should I believe? I haven't yet tried to access my home server remotely, though it did work fine last week when I tried.

Steve Woodward
    Monday, October 11, 2010 5:12 PM

All replies

• First message means the server is not able to configure your, and there may be an issue with port forwarding. This could happen if the IP address of your server has changed. If this is the cause of your problem you may need to reconfigure port forwarding in your router. To prevent this from happening again best assign fixed Ip address to your server (preferably in DHCP settings of your router or set manually on the server).

Second message you tells you domain name is setup correctly. Effectively this means your chose domain name is linked to your current external IP address.

For functional remote access both should be OK. Best thing to do is test remote access from a system outside your network.

Could also be your external IP address has recently changed. If this is the cause the problem (first message) should normally disappear within 24 - 48 hours, it takes some time to propagate this change to public DNS servers.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:15 AM