HP computer + Windows Vista Home Premium = JUNK RRS feed

• Question

• In April of 2007 I purchased a HP computer with Windows Vista Home Premium... Big Mistake. I have had nothing but problems both hardware (internal plug in connectors loose) and software... Windows Vista Home Premium is very difficult to operate. It crashes or slows down without cause. No software disc back up was provided at purchase (you do not get a disc with the operating system). An attempt at an upgrade has resulted in a black screen telling me the software (Vista) is not a valid copy. Forget trying to uninstall the upgrade... it will not let you.

I am on my way to buy a MAC...
    • Changed type Stephen Holm Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:25 PM Make a question
    • Changed type Stephen Holm Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:25 PM Make a question
    Friday, September 12, 2008 11:55 PM

Answers

• Robert Ahlborn said:

In April of 2007 I purchased a HP computer with Windows Vista Home Premium... Big Mistake. I have had nothing but problems both hardware (internal plug in connectors loose) and software... Windows Vista Home Premium is very difficult to operate. It crashes or slows down without cause. No software disc back up was provided at purchase (you do not get a disc with the operating system). An attempt at an upgrade has resulted in a black screen telling me the software (Vista) is not a valid copy. Forget trying to uninstall the upgrade... it will not let you.

Hello Robert,

We are sorry to hear you are not happy with Vista. It appears as if the majority of your concerns is with the system itself vs. Vista. Personally I am running Vista Ultimate and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. The version of Vista you are using is more than likely Vista OEM SLP. In turn HP will provide you with Technical support. Have you called them and explained any error codes and actual problems you are experiencing? If not I encourage you to please contact their technical support. As far as the software disc back up you need to call HP and discuss this directly with them. Many computer manufacturers provide a utility and directions for end users to produce their own Recovery Media Disc prior using the computer whatsoever. Please look @ your documentation and see if you have any information.  Next you mention an upgrade has resulted in a black screen telling you the software (Vista) is not a valid copy. We really need more definitive information such as error codes and/or messaging.  

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Please provide a brief synopsis describing your customer scenario, including any dialogue, error messages, or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Step 2: Tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows.

1. What edition/version of Windows Vista is titled?

·         Home Basic

·         Home Premium 

·         Business

·         Ultimate

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Hopefully I have provided you information which will help you. In turn the MGA Diagnostic results will enable our team to analyze exactly what you are experiencing as well as trying to provide you with a resolution.

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:39 PM

All replies

• Robert Ahlborn said:

In April of 2007 I purchased a HP computer with Windows Vista Home Premium... Big Mistake. I have had nothing but problems both hardware (internal plug in connectors loose) and software... Windows Vista Home Premium is very difficult to operate. It crashes or slows down without cause. No software disc back up was provided at purchase (you do not get a disc with the operating system). An attempt at an upgrade has resulted in a black screen telling me the software (Vista) is not a valid copy. Forget trying to uninstall the upgrade... it will not let you.

Hello Robert,

We are sorry to hear you are not happy with Vista. It appears as if the majority of your concerns is with the system itself vs. Vista. Personally I am running Vista Ultimate and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. The version of Vista you are using is more than likely Vista OEM SLP. In turn HP will provide you with Technical support. Have you called them and explained any error codes and actual problems you are experiencing? If not I encourage you to please contact their technical support. As far as the software disc back up you need to call HP and discuss this directly with them. Many computer manufacturers provide a utility and directions for end users to produce their own Recovery Media Disc prior using the computer whatsoever. Please look @ your documentation and see if you have any information.  Next you mention an upgrade has resulted in a black screen telling you the software (Vista) is not a valid copy. We really need more definitive information such as error codes and/or messaging.  

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Please provide a brief synopsis describing your customer scenario, including any dialogue, error messages, or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Step 2: Tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows.

1. What edition/version of Windows Vista is titled?

·         Home Basic

·         Home Premium 

·         Business

·         Ultimate

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Hopefully I have provided you information which will help you. In turn the MGA Diagnostic results will enable our team to analyze exactly what you are experiencing as well as trying to provide you with a resolution.

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Hello Stephen,

Thank you for the very informative reply. The computer in question (my home computer) will not connect to the internet. It only opens in "Safe Mode" and all attempts to start in normal mode fail. I cannot justify spending any money having it serviced at this point. I was serious about switching to a Mac, I need a basic computer that will get me to the internet, and handle basic duties for the household, and I need it to operate without problems or viruses... I bought a Mac...

Bob Ahlborn

Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:55 PM