New WHS build, registry error just before finishing... RRS feed

• Question

• HI All,

I recently received an Intel SS4200-EHW machine ( http://www.intel.com/design/servers/storage/ss4200/index.htm ) and decided I would install WHS on it.

Intel provide instructions on how to do that ( http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4200ehw/sb/ss4200ehw_whs_integration_guide.pdf  ) which i followed. For those who dont read the guide the basic steps are. Install WHS, use a floppy to do the drivers (AHCI/SATA) at the initial part and then during the blue screen setup. Once at the desktop I installed the chipset drivers, eSATA, updated HW monitor drivers and NIC. I then connected to Windows Update and installed every update available. There were reboots between each driver and each set of updates.

Just when I thought I was done I started experiencing the error  "Registry hive (file): SOFTWARE was corrupted and has been recovered. Some data might have been lost." after entering the user/pass . Which doesn’t seem to have any solution from a Google search.

As I couldn’t solve it I decided a reinstall was needed and so did that. On this 2nd attempt I decided to grab the latest NIC and Chipset drivers from the Intel site, rather than the versions on the ss4200 page which were older (I also didn’t follow the step to update the drivers for the hardware monitor as I didn’t plan to use it). I used the up to date drivers and then began the Windows update process again.

Once again, near the end of the build the error started happening. With some digging I couldn’t see anything wrong but did notice that if I choose to RESTART I get the error after I log back in to the admin account. (It appears directly after entering the password). If I choose to SHUT DOWN and then power back on I don’t get the error. It also appears to only happen on the Admin account.

Have any of you seen/heard of this before, and if so are there any solutions?

The only thing I think it can be is one of the Windows Updates, but given that there are over 50 it would take rather a long time to work out which!

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:17 AM

Answers

• What is the recommended way to apply updates if not from the server desktop?

You should use the WHS Console to update your server.  You can either A) set it up to install updates automatically or B) check for updates manually by clicking the Update Now... button.

Great, thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Veridian3 Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:55 PM
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:55 PM

All replies

• OK, on my third attempt at a build... so far so good. Machine has shown no errors this time.

I decided to try everything I could to fix it that had not been tried.

1) Re-downloaded the WHS image and re-burned from my MSDN account.
    2) Changed the graphics card I used for the install from a 7300LE to a 4350.
    3) Upgraded the 512mb which it arrived with to 2gb
    4) Reinstalled the whole OS again from scratch and when doing the updates I shut down after each batch rather than restarted.
    5) Didnt update the eSATA drivers using the intel site ones, then the Win Update ones. Just went direct for the Win Update ones.

It seems that one of the above things might have fixed my problem. Un-sure which it was ... I also have a bit of a theory that it might have been time related. I noticed on the first two builds that the time zone was not working properly. Before starting the build I set the date/time in the BIOS and by the time I reached the desktop I was seeing the time in the US by default. Which had also updated in the BIOS. On my first two builds I just updated the time zone when I saw it and carried on. I have a suspicion that the changing of the date/time when mixed with windows updates was causing time stamp problems when restarting. And the less than specific error I was receiving was the result of this. It also explains why it only happened on the admin account as that was the only one which the updates to the OS and time zone were applied on.

I have no way of confirming this though, and I don’t intend to break my working install to confirm but it is a theory I have... could be completely wrong! :)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:32 AM
  • OK, on my third attempt at a build... so far so good. Machine has shown no errors this time.

I decided to try everything I could to fix it that had not been tried.

1) Re-downloaded the WHS image and re-burned from my MSDN account.
    2) Changed the graphics card I used for the install from a 7300LE to a 4350.
    3) Upgraded the 512mb which it arrived with to 2gb
    4) Reinstalled the whole OS again from scratch and when doing the updates I shut down after each batch rather than restarted.
    5) Didnt update the eSATA drivers using the intel site ones, then the Win Update ones. Just went direct for the Win Update ones.

It seems that one of the above things might have fixed my problem. Un-sure which it was ... I also have a bit of a theory that it might have been time related. I noticed on the first two builds that the time zone was not working properly. Before starting the build I set the date/time in the BIOS and by the time I reached the desktop I was seeing the time in the US by default. Which had also updated in the BIOS. On my first two builds I just updated the time zone when I saw it and carried on. I have a suspicion that the changing of the date/time when mixed with windows updates was causing time stamp problems when restarting. And the less than specific error I was receiving was the result of this. It also explains why it only happened on the admin account as that was the only one which the updates to the OS and time zone were applied on.

I have no way of confirming this though, and I don’t intend to break my working install to confirm but it is a theory I have... could be completely wrong! :)

You should not logon to the server desktop to install updates from WU (it's unsupported and users that have installed some of the Software, Optional updates have had issues afterwards).
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:30 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 2:58 PM

You should use the WHS Console to update your server.  You can either A) set it up to install updates automatically or B) check for updates manually by clicking the Update Now... button.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:42 PM

Great, thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Veridian3 Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:55 PM
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:55 PM