none
Loosing "scores" when participating in product previews: When a preview forum for a product is removed to another location you score may degrade. I.e. number of helpfull post, answers. RRS feed

• Question

• FYI

Loosing "scores" when participating in product previews: When a preview forum for a product is removed to another location you score may degrade. I.e. number of helpfull post, answers ... while the number of replies remains obscuring the statistics.

Not my motivation for participating. However, just note any effect on the motivation in general:

When (re)moving the previous preview forum, for each cycle of Windows client, i.e. participating in Win8, Win 8.1 ... Win 8.x, your statistics are going to be null'ed for each iteration of a preview. So quantity (number) of anwers will grow high ... while overall quality of answers get low ("grows" lower). The effect: Anybody interested in this relation between number of answers and their quality may be motivated to not participate in previews.

I did not mark answers initially using the forums ... started doing that later when later suggested to do so by others ... to help out ... including voting - and also started to note the statistics.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 12:28 PM

All replies

• @Computermensch - I am trying but I don't really follow what you're saying here.

When points and achievements are earned, they remain intact even if the asset (thread, blog, wiki, sample, library article) to which you contributed is retired.  So you should not see any decrement in points or achievements if, for example, questions you answered in a forum are moved to an archive, or even if they are completely deleted (which rarely happens anyway).

There is a mechanism to decrement points/achievements for individual contributions if a reversible action occurs.  For example, if your post is first marked as an answer by a moderator (i.e., you gain points) but the OP subsequently unmarks your post as an answer because she doesn't feel it fully addressed her question (i.e., you loose the points you gained when it was marked as an answer).  However as I said above reversals don't occur in the scenarios you describe.

What you may notice is that the activity list associated with your profile only lists the most recent 100 activities.  That doesn't mean that older activities have been "removed", only that they are not shown.  Any recognition you earned in association with those older activities remain intact.

Can you clarify what you're seeing that lead you to believe you're losing recognition after preview programs are ended?

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:00 AM
  • Yes, the statistics for the forum (i.e. # helpfull, # replies, # answers) goes down when i.e. a preview is archived (moved off the Windows 8 hierarchy).

Look into that - I may be wrong? But I think thats what I quickly observed when the fomer preview of Windows 8 (.0) was archived.

One effect of that would be i.e. participating in Win8, Win 8.1 ... Win 8.x, your statistics are going to be null'ed for each iteration of a preview.

So just dump a post about that - guess thats not the intention when archiving previous previews. The new stuff going on with the release cycles is to increase their number with continous development of Windows.Thus, given the current forum pratice around archieving test forums, this is goingto happen often ... unless I am wrong here.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:52 AM
  • As I said above I'm quite certain of the mechanisms behind recognitions points (my team is responsible for both the MSDN/TechNet Forums app and the recognition service).  The points do not go down as a result of threads in which you've contributed being archived or even deleted.

I'm not sure what you saw previously.  It sounds like you're not entirely sure either.  If you see something happen like that again, where you think something unexpected is happening with your points or achievements, the best thing to do is promptly start a thread in the MSDN and TechNet Profile and Recognition Discussions forum.  That will enable the team to look into it in a timely way to understand whether there are any potential issues that could cause your problem to occur.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:27 AM