Backing Up Windows Server 2003 & 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Is is possible to backup Windows Server 2003 & 2008 with Windows Home Server?  It seems to me that the basic file backup should work okay.  If so, could WHS also backup SQL and Exchange Server without any technical issues?
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I would not rely on it, although it is possible. Some people are using Windows Home Server to backup SBS, which contains Exchange Server and may behave very similar. But if I remember correcty, they have also modified some configuration to stop certain services while backup is running. You should also test a restore.
    Also be aware, that backup to Windows Home Server may make the restore more convenient, but you cannot rely solely on it. The backup database may fail, the Home Server may be destroyed by the same incident (overvolte, fire, theft) like the normal servers and so on, so nothing can replace backing up to external medium and store it offsite in a protected place.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Hi,
    I would not rely on it, although it is possible. Some people are using Windows Home Server to backup SBS, which contains Exchange Server and may behave very similar. But if I remember correcty, they have also modified some configuration to stop certain services while backup is running. You should also test a restore.
    Also be aware, that backup to Windows Home Server may make the restore more convenient, but you cannot rely solely on it. The backup database may fail, the Home Server may be destroyed by the same incident (overvolte, fire, theft) like the normal servers and so on, so nothing can replace backing up to external medium and store it offsite in a protected place.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    And, of course, it's not supported.  :)
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:45 AM