Dual Processor support? RRS feed

• Question

• Just got accepted and wanted to start tonight putting this onto an actual server.

Dual p3-866
    1.25gb ECC PC133 SDRAM
    Add on 4 port PCI SATA card with 4x 160gb WD
    Pioneer DVR-110 PATA DVD +/-
    3x PATA 160gb WD
    Nvidia BFG6600GT AGP
    PC&C 510 Deluxe NON-SLI

*Either 2x generic 10/100 cards or two spare D-Link 100/1000 cards that are non supported by another OS.

I have 2 spare matching p3 1ghz procs that I am not currently using. Will WHSb2 work with the dual processors or do I need to dump in a different MB and Proc?
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:23 PM

Answers

• My previous WHS was on a IBM Xeon dual processor. I didn't have any problems. Why I stop using it was because of small SCSI drive. Way too expensive to replace the SCSI drive.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:29 PM
  • WHS is based on Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition, and, like what say Microsoft here : http://www.microsoft.com/Windowsserver2003/sbs/evaluation/sysreqs/default.mspx this system can run with 2 processor

You can setup WHS ^^
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:40 PM
  • Just want to make sure.  I like to try older HW first and then if needed or warranted go more towards last/current gen hardware.

Hopefully in a little over 4 hours from now I will be installing this into my standby server.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:43 PM

All replies

• My previous WHS was on a IBM Xeon dual processor. I didn't have any problems. Why I stop using it was because of small SCSI drive. Way too expensive to replace the SCSI drive.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:29 PM
  • WHS is based on Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition, and, like what say Microsoft here : http://www.microsoft.com/Windowsserver2003/sbs/evaluation/sysreqs/default.mspx this system can run with 2 processor

You can setup WHS ^^
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:40 PM
  • Just want to make sure.  I like to try older HW first and then if needed or warranted go more towards last/current gen hardware.

Hopefully in a little over 4 hours from now I will be installing this into my standby server.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:43 PM
  • You'll be fine with the CPUs.  I'm using dual 700MHz P3s.  The NICs will probably work, just have a look at the text on the main chip and do a web search for that code.  If it's got Windows Server 2003 drivers, or maybe WinXP drivers you'll be fine.

cheers,
    Ben
    Friday, April 20, 2007 5:23 PM