none
having trouble provisioning a sqlexpress db RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to do the Walkthrough "Creating a Sample Database". However I am trying to use sqlexpress as the sever db.
    When I try to provision the DB the SyncSvcUtil completes with out error, but nothing changes on the db and the diagnostic tool complains that provisioning "failed".
    I changed the targetDatabase entry in listdbconfig to
    <TargetDatabase Name="MyName" DbServer=".\sqlexpress" DbName="listdb" UseIntegratedAuth="true" />
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Can you provide the error details when you provision the db. Can you also check if the listdb is created in sqlexpress when creating dataabase.

Thanks,
    Ramesh V

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:59 PM
  • yes the listdb is created, I created that before I tried to provision it.

I'm not sure what I can give you for "error details" as I said it completes without error. Is there some log or something I can look at?

The results after running the provision command is:

Reading specified config file...

Generating DbSyncScopeDescription for scope DefaultScope...

Provisioning Database MyName for template scope DefaultScope...

SyncSvcUtil completed with no errors.

If I try again it complains with:

System.InvalidOperationException: Database MyName already contains a template sc

ope DefaultScope. Please deprovision the scope and retry. at Microsoft.Synchronization.ClientServices.SyncSvcUtil.ProcessConfigFile(Arg

sParser parser) at Microsoft.Synchronization.ClientServices.SyncSvcUtil.Main(String[] args)

SyncSvcUtil failed.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Hello,

You can use verbose option, but you already mentioned that when you first time provision there was no error. Do you have SQL Express and SQL Server on this box. Just wondering if you are refreshing the right database to see whether the sync tracking tables etc are created or not as part of provisioning step.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Ah I see, that helps. I changed the name of the DB and SyncSvcUtil no longer can connect.

I'm not sure I understand what is happening. Do I need more in the TargetDatabase node to direct it to sqlexpress?

<TargetDatabase Name="MyName" DbServer=".\sqlexpress" DbName="listdb2" UseIntegratedAuth="true" />

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:39 PM
  • May I know what is the output when you say syncsvcutil no longer connect. May I know how did you created database on sql express. can you see listdb2 on sql express.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Thanks for all of your help on this.

After renaming the sqlexpress db to listdb2 and changing the DbName in listdbconfig to match the output is :

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "listdb2" requested by

the login. The login failed.

Login failed for user ....

As for creating the database I used VS to add a new sql database (listdb2.mdf)  and ran a stored proc on the new db to create the tables, etc...

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:27 PM
  • It seems to me that the user who is running provisioning doesnt have permissions on listdb2.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Thanks again, its the same user, and I don't have any permissoins set. But I'm sure this problem is on my end, as I really dont know anything about SQLExpress.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:56 PM