Restore Experience RRS feed

• Question

• It was time to upgrade the harddrive in one of my boxes so a ran a manual backup, swapped the drive and booted off the restore CD. When running the restore CD it loads a small window with a message about "initializing windows, loading drivers, etc." It took probably 10 minutes for the process to get past this screen. I initially rebooted at this screen and then on the second try I let it sit for a while and it finally got past it. Should it have taken so long?

System: Athlon 1.4mhz, 1gig Ram

Anyway, everything seems to have worked perfectly. I was concerned that I may have to reactivate XP because of the hardware change, but I never got the prompt.

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:59 AM

Answers

• The initial screens are the Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE for short) loading and configuring the drivers for your machine to have a display and network connectivity so that the Home Computer Restore Wizard can find your home server to initiate the restore process.  It usually takes at least 5 minutes for WinPE to load and I have had it take over 10 minutes on older, slower machines. 

Glad to hear the restore process worked

Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:07 PM

All replies

• The initial screens are the Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE for short) loading and configuring the drivers for your machine to have a display and network connectivity so that the Home Computer Restore Wizard can find your home server to initiate the restore process.  It usually takes at least 5 minutes for WinPE to load and I have had it take over 10 minutes on older, slower machines. 

Glad to hear the restore process worked

Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:07 PM
  • I've got a problem with restore:

1. Because my IPTV box works only with provider’s DHCP server, all of my PC are set to fixed IP (my router can't work with VLAN).

2. WHS Restore CD can't find WHS in my network environment and it’s no way to set IP address manually,

3. I could restore my HDD only after starting DHCP server.  

Monday, July 2, 2007 4:58 PM
  • I had to restore my computer today and it worked like a charm.

A great experience.

Thank you.

Dawg.

Monday, July 2, 2007 5:02 PM