SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Maybe someone can save me some time...

I have handhelds in the field that run CE 5 with a .NET 2.0 compact framework application using SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition as the data store. We use Active Sync to launch a desktop application when the device is cradled, and we then go and retreive the data--big hassle. We have been hoping for some time that Microsoft would provide us a way to sync this data right out of the database on the handheld to a desktop database. Someone at Microsoft did develop sync functionality to go from SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition to Microsoft Access, but that is not useful to us at all.

We would like to use Active Sync to launch our custom desktop application to sync data from SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition on the handheld to SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition or SQL Server 2005 Express Edition on the desktop. Does this service accomplish that?

Thanks for your help!

Michael

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 9:38 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Yes, Sync Services does exactly that. However, not all the pieces are implemented yet. The support for devices is in the works so as a provider for SQL Express. Today, you can synchronize between SQL Server\Express with SQL CE on the desktop.

Thanks

Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Rafik,

So are you saying that I could manually transfer the CE database from the device to the desktop and then perform the sync? Though that does not excite me, that would still save me a lot of time. And then the next question: do you have an approximate ETA for device support?

Thanks for your help!

Michael

Sunday, November 25, 2007 9:14 PM
  •  

Yes, that's one possibility.

I don't have an ETA as of yet. We should have clearer timeline by the new year.

One thing I did not mention is that you cannot use SQL CE as a server on the desktop; you have to use SQL Express instead.

Thanks

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:48 PM
  •  

Right! We don't use CE on the desktop. However, I believe you are saying that we can mount a CE database on the desktop and sync to it? Or are you suggesting that transferring the database from the handheld to the desktop won't work? Sorry, your last response seemed to suggest it could.

Thanks again!

Michael

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:51 PM