Media Extenders RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have good recommendations for a media extender?
    This has been the hardest thing to find for me, and it doesn't seem that many big manufacturers have them.  I've seen the TVX online, and Roku and a few others, but would like to know what people have had good experiences with. 
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 11:22 PM

All replies

• I have a Roku currently.  Works pretty well.  I'm looking to buy a Squeezebox soon.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Has anyone seen the Helios from NeoDigits?
    UPDATE:
    I received the NeoDigits Helios X5000 today.  It has the ability to connect to the server via either Windows Media Connect, or it's own Helios software.  I've run it using both, with not much difference in performance between the two, but I think the Helios software looks a little bit better as interfaces with the box, and is probably a little bit quicker, but can't prove that.

Anyways, it definitely does work.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 10:03 PM
  • I've been testing with the TVIX M5000 and WHS the past few days.  I presently have around 1.3TB of HD material, with around 750GB of that already in WHS. 

Using TVIX Netshare 1.08 the TVIX unit can see all of the WHS video material from my Video share folder.  Streaming HD over 100MB network is instant.  Flicking between HD movies and shows also is basically instantaneous as well.  It's very impressive.  DIVX and DVD .iso files also play just fine.  The Netshare software provides the same access speed as you'll get using an actual hard drive inside of the TVIX.  You basically don't need a HDD anymore, and can just run all of your material from WHS.

There are a couple of caveats.  Netshare is not a service.  This means that in order for it to run, you have to remote into WHS and start the software.  To keep the software running just close your terminal services window and the Administrator will remain logged in with the software running.  This is no big deal.

The Netshare software also does not like a root path for its sharepoint.  This means it doesn't like \\server\videos as it treats the videos share folder as the 'root'.  You can use D:\Shares\Videos as and that works.  You are just reading files from this path - not writing - so WHS should be OK with that.  A second alternative is that you can create a TVIX folder under \\server\videos and map to that in Netshare using \\server\videos\TVIX.  Netshare will allow this.  But this also means that all of your video content has to be under the TVIX folder in order to be seen.

Monday, March 12, 2007 11:36 AM
  • I have not been able to sucessfully access a HDD from a TViX HD M4000P on my Windows XP Professional (sp2) PC shared using TViX Netshare using the TViX NFS network mode. However, I am able to access the the same HDD using a Windows share using the TViX SAMBA network mode.

Is the sever naming syntax different for SAMBA and NFS? The DIVCO documentation shows three different example server names: "tvixhd1", "/tvixhd1" and "//tvixhd1" for either SAMBA or NFS network mode. However, I notice your naming syntax is different from DIVCO's documentation (at least for the NFS network mode). For example, you would use "\\server\shares\videos" for "D:\Shares\Videos". Would "\\server\shares\videos" be entered into the TViX NetShare settings, or would just "\videos" be entered, or something else?

Thanks for any help on this.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 6:46 PM
  • I'll point out that leaving the Administrator account logged in via a disconnected Remote Desktop session is a bad idea for a number of reasons.

First, you only have two simultaneous RD sessions available, and the WHS console uses RDP to work. Leaving someone logged in and disconnected ties up one of those connections.

Next, when you next connect via Remote Desktop, are you going to remember that you need to leave this session running? Sooner or later, you'll forget.

Finally, leaving the administrator account logged in to a server is a pretty large potential security gap.

Instead, check and see if the netshare app can be run as a service, using srvany.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:26 PM