none
Backup Time and wireless laptops RRS feed

• Question

• I have a laptop that I keep attached to AC power overnight, but when it goes into sleep mode the wireless turns off, and hence WHS can't wake it up to back up.  I should note that a manual backup when connected to a wired connection went perfectly.

Is there some option to initiate an automatic backup at the next possible time, if the laptop misses its backup window?  Anti-virus products have something similar for system scans.
    • Edited by jam244 Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:20 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:18 PM

Answers

•  WHS doesn't wake the clients for backup - they wake themselves, as well as start the backup process (based on the client's Connector config.)
    If you've updated your WHS to Power Pack 1 (and, updated your clients as you should have), there's an option to wake (or not) the client for backup:
    right-click the Connector icon in the system tray > check "wake this computer for backup."
    The client (your laptop) will now (dependent on its power-management settings and such) wake itself during the backup window, and back itself up.

HTH,
    -Chris
    • Marked as answer by jam244 Friday, November 14, 2008 1:08 PM
    Friday, November 14, 2008 2:26 AM

All replies

•  WHS doesn't wake the clients for backup - they wake themselves, as well as start the backup process (based on the client's Connector config.)
    If you've updated your WHS to Power Pack 1 (and, updated your clients as you should have), there's an option to wake (or not) the client for backup:
    right-click the Connector icon in the system tray > check "wake this computer for backup."
    The client (your laptop) will now (dependent on its power-management settings and such) wake itself during the backup window, and back itself up.

HTH,
    -Chris
    • Marked as answer by jam244 Friday, November 14, 2008 1:08 PM
    Friday, November 14, 2008 2:26 AM
  • I see.  I figured it was wake-on-lan (WOL).  I guess I'll have to wait and see if it works, I just installed the PP1 agent on the laptop today.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 5:27 AM
  • No, Windows Home Server doesn't use Wake On LAN for anything. As for successfully backing up upon a resume from sleep, hibernation, or (for Vista) hybrid sleep, it's strongly dependent on the hardware. Many laptops shut wireless (or networking in general) down entirely when they enter low power modes. If it takes too long to reestablish a network connection, a backup may not occur.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 14, 2008 12:19 PM
  • Interesting... well, it worked just fine for me!  Thanks for the help.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 1:08 PM