Vista won't validate after hard drive upgrade on HP Pavilion RRS feed

• Question

• Purchased an HP Pavilion a6110n a few years back, it came with Vista installed.  Had to upgrade the hard drive recently, cloned the partition to the new drive and now I get an error stating that "an unauthorized change has been made to Windows.  The security processor reported a system file mismatch error."

I figured something had gone wrong with the product key, so I re-entered the key on the label on the outside of the case.  Got the message "the following failure occurred while trying to use the product key: Code: 0xC004f033  Description: Software licensing service reported that the product key is not allowed to be installed.  Please see the event log for details."  Of course, I don't know where to find the event log.

Admittedly, the product key has been used before.  On this computer.  The only thing that's changed is the hard drive.

How can I re-validate my Vista installation?

Saturday, June 25, 2011 1:50 AM

Answers

• "Richard J. Martin" wrote in message news:dfa0d927-fa88-4410-a557-604a371ffa5b...

Purchased an HP Pavilion a6110n a few years back, it came with Vista installed.  Had to upgrade the hard drive recently, cloned the partition to the new drive and now I get an error stating that "an unauthorized change has been made to Windows.  The security processor reported a system file mismatch error."

I figured something had gone wrong with the product key, so I re-entered the key on the label on the outside of the case.  Got the message "the following failure occurred while trying to use the product key: Code: 0xC004f033  Description: Software licensing service reported that the product key is not allowed to be installed.  Please see the event log for details."  Of course, I don't know where to find the event log.

Admittedly, the product key has been used before.  On this computer.  The only thing that's changed is the hard drive.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
     - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:30 AM

All replies

• "Richard J. Martin" wrote in message news:dfa0d927-fa88-4410-a557-604a371ffa5b...

Purchased an HP Pavilion a6110n a few years back, it came with Vista installed.  Had to upgrade the hard drive recently, cloned the partition to the new drive and now I get an error stating that "an unauthorized change has been made to Windows.  The security processor reported a system file mismatch error."

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
     - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:30 AM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:51 PM