none
How to determine why SyncToy 2.0 locks up RRS feed

• Question

•  

I really love SyncToy 2.0 but I've discovered there is a particular sub-directory upon which a very large SyncToy synchronization is freezing up.  Once SyncToy gets locked up I cannot stop or cancel I must kill the app.   I can access all the files in the directory so I don't think it is a file access issue.  Instead I think SyncToy is exhausting memory or maybe I have some bad memory (god forbid).   It was getting very late last night and I was experimenting.  I think I tried to sync just the 280 jpg files in that subdirectory with a new directory and it still failed.  I plan to copy the subdirectory to a new device, reboot and try to sync just that subdirectory and see if that fixes it.   All the same it would be great to get some diagnostics out of SyncToy when it freezes up.  Do anyone know of a way to get a running list of which file it is evaluating or something like that?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:59 PM

All replies

• You could try to set the SyncToy logging option to Verbose (see instructions in the Help file or SyncToy FAQ on the forum). This will make it print out the list of all directories it is inspecting including the time-stamps. You can use this to figure out which directory is taking longer.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 4:28 AM
    Answerer
  • I'm having the same problem. While syncing a folder from a Western Digital NAS drive to a USB drive connected to a computer, Synctoy freezes at the exact same subdirectory (on the NAS drive) every time. (The subdirectory is all jpg files.) Synctoy worked fine going from the USB drive to the NAS drive, but now won't go the other direction.

I deleted the hidden DAT files in all the subdirectories and deleted all the file pairs in Synctoy and then rebooted the computer and tried again--no joy.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 12:20 AM
  • I am also having the same problem.  I've been using SyncToy for a while on many different computers and this is a first for me.  It's occurring when syncing a Windows Server 2003 computer with a USB external hard drive.  Any ideas?
    Friday, November 14, 2008 5:33 AM
  • Is this happening during Preview or Sync? Is your folder pair set to Recycle Deletes and Overwrites? Do you have a large number of deletes that may be synchronizing?

Friday, November 14, 2008 7:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the information. Did you find this during your Hatfield studies?
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:58 AM