none
Money 2005 and 1105 Patch RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, PLEASE someone help me I am trying to reload money 2005 onto my computer after reformatting, I have tried every way possible via searches etc. but cannot get the patch 1105 to update on my old version. I have made copies of discs pulled the update from my backup and tried to integrate it into a new cd etc. but read that since jan 11 you cannot do this. PLEASE HELP - thanks Kim
    Monday, May 30, 2011 2:02 PM

All replies

• UK?

Monday, May 30, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Yes !!
    Monday, May 30, 2011 4:07 PM
  • The Money install disk that you purchased installs version (I think) 14.0.120.910. Help->About shows the version.
     To be useful, this had to be changed to 14.0.120.1105. This was done typically by opening
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\Sample.mny". A Microsoft server would apply the update. The server
    is gone. :-(

If you had an image of your old "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles" folder from before you formatted,
    you could install Money 2005 with your disk, and then overwrite the
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles" folder with the contents of the saved folder. The version
    would then be 14.0.120.1105.

You could then have used the method described in http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx to produce an install
    disk that you could reinstall Money 2005 UK version 14.0.120.1105 in the future.

Here is an older thread, that discussed the problem, that I think you should read: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/nb-NO/money/thread/ba8e9925-b188-4885-a057-3fbf96a99412

Monday, May 30, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Thanks.... I am not an expert here so need to take it step by step !!! the version i have is : 14.0.120.730 and when I previously reformatted and reinstalled got that first way to work.

I have on an external drive that MNY Core files, which i copied onto another document and tried to get it into the old version which i had copied onto my computer but it didnt work

on your 2nd way to solve how do i overwrite with the MNY Core files? - sorry to be a bit thick !!!

Many thanks for your help

Kim

Monday, May 30, 2011 5:07 PM
  • I have located the update but when i right click and run as administrator it asks me if it is ok to run i say yes and then it  does nothing......

It is called mnyupdate and on the properties has the 1105 on it ? it has the money logo on it and also the admin sign.....

Monday, May 30, 2011 5:21 PM
  • mnyupdate.exe sounds enticing, but that is not going to do it for you. It would be trying to get to that server that is not available.

So how do you overwrite the folder? I would normally use a command window to do that, but that would confuse most people I think. I decided to try the procedure I started to write using Windows Explorer,  but it did not overwrite the files. It only made a copy of the files. Here is my revised suggestion:

Open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer). You can do that with WindowsKey+E, where "WindowsKey" represents the key on your keyboard that has the Windows logo. Then at the top click Tools, and on the General tab, tick the ShowAllFolders box. The reason for that is that the MNYCoreFiles is hidden by default.

Now browse to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005" and select the MNYCoreFiles folder. Right-click and choose Rename. Change the name of that folder to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles.old or some such. I did not test to make sure this is going to work, but I think Windows will allow it after a pop-up or two confirming the action.

Then browse to your backup disk. Locate the MNYCoreFiles. Select that folder, right-click, and choose Copy. Then browse back to your "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005" folder. Paste into that folder. Again you will get a permissions pop-up.

You might also want to paste your MNYCoreFiles folder, copied from the backup disk, onto a USB flash drive also, in case something unexpected happens.

If things work as we hope, you will be able to launch Money then, and see that you have version 14.0.120.1105. If successful, make your modified install disk and keep it safe. Also congratulate yourself on your prior backup efforts.

I hope this answer leads to success. I understand how stressful it would be to be locked out of your Money file.

Monday, May 30, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Not good news I am afraid.... all went well till relaunch and then came up with an error message:

Unable to initialise an essential Money component. Please reinstall Money from your original product discs?

Damn really thought that was going to work !!!

Really appreciate all your help ...... do you know what that is ??

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you!!

Kim

Monday, May 30, 2011 7:31 PM
  • On the next one is says it cannot find C:\Program Files/Microsoft Money 2005/MNYCoreFiles\checksku.exe !

ta

Kim

Monday, May 30, 2011 7:33 PM
  • What is your OS?  Try starting Money by right-clicking the Money launch icon and choosing RunAsAdministrator.

Monday, May 30, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Windows 7 - it was working perfectly well before on this - I have tried your suggestion re right clicking several times

Just had a thought - I am re installing after uninstalling and I am going to go to windows.old file where there is another old copy..... will try and run it from there???

thanks

kim

Monday, May 30, 2011 7:58 PM
  • nope that didnt work either...... aaaahhhhhh i have on this since 8.00 am !!!!! i am going MMMAAADDDD !!!

sorry bout that !!!

next.........

Kim

Monday, May 30, 2011 8:03 PM
  • I am sorry that this is not working. It seemed encouragaging. I don't understand the use of a windows.old file, but if it is on your reformatted drive, I can't see that it could be useful. Keep trying. If nothing works, you might want to read thru the thread I mentioned in the my first post on this thread.

Monday, May 30, 2011 8:08 PM
  • I think i might have to give up, i have been through all your threads and tried everything ! I can see the update but just cannot get it to overwrite onto the money file !

thanks anyway

Kim

Monday, May 30, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Did you read the 11-2 post?
    Monday, May 30, 2011 8:16 PM
  • 11-2 ? where is that please?

ta

Monday, May 30, 2011 8:18 PM
  • This is just desperate, following a crash of my hard drive. I'm basically in the same boat as Kim but worse as I have no image of a patched copy of Money. In spite of having backups of my MNY file it now looks like I can't access my years of carefully-backed-up data due to the absence of this 1105 patch for the software.

I've spent the entire day reading about this and faffing around, and having concluded that I can't get round it - I'm just dumbfounded. The 3 things that irk me most are:

1. This problem is due to a bug that Microsoft released in my original CD of the software.

2. They still have the patch but have consciously decided to make it unavailable.

3. US users get a sunset version, but as a UK user there is no equivalent. 

How can we lobby for the 1105 patch to be re-instated?!?

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:35 PM
  • You have my sympathy.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's attitude over this whole sorry affair has been disgraceful. Originally, the last shipped US product, which required activation, was not even going to be able to be re-activated after January 2011. Only after numerous complaints did they make avilable the Sunset version (without the activation requirement).

It appears that Microsoft are not concerned about the (relatively) few users elsewhere in the world, so we're just left high and dry.

This is all too typical of Microsoft who seem to think that users of their software can just put up with any level of inconvenience.

I assume you have NO windows system backups which contain the Money program folder in "Program Files" ? 

Thursday, June 2, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Thanks for the sympathy Ashley.

Sadly I've never backed up Program Files as I've always assumed I can just re-install my software from disks. I've never had a hard drive crash on me before so it was always a somewhat theoretical exercise, though thank goodness I did back up "My Documents" quite regularly.

It seems that MSFT could easily provide a free download of the patched Money 2005 install disk with no warranty as a non-US sunset version. Or even just make a statement saying that it will waive it's copyright on Money 2005 and allow others to freely distribute it (in which case I could legally get hold of a patched install disk from another forum user).

After this debacle it's going to be unthinkable for me to hand over more money to Microsoft when I buy my replacement computer. I see there's a product called iBank which may just about do the job of MS Money on an alternative operating system.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 12:05 PM
  • When I first heard about Microsoft pulling the plug on Money I looked around at alternatives.

Moneydance seemed like quite a good bet and a friend of mine is now using it and is very happy with it. It can run on either Windows or Linux.

I stuck with Money 2005 as I have a large amount of historical data, was happy with the product and didn't want any conversion effort. I plan to use it for as long as possible. However, as it uses IE for all it's screen rendering I was concerned that at some point IE would be changed and it would break Money.

With that in mind, I have now created a Money alternative using Excel. It has all the features I use in Money and in fact can do some things Money can't (like automatic price downloads for investments). I now run both systems in parallel and am building up a nice amount of historical data in my Excel solution in addition to Money 2005. This means that at any point I can drop Money and just carry on using Excel. Hopefully in the long run, Microsoft will keep Excel going as it has a (slightly !!!) larger user base than Money.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:43 PM
  • In Windows Explorer, go to Organize\Folder and search options\View tab and check "Show hidden files, folders and drives". If this is not done you are unlikely to copy everything needed.

Then reinstall Money 2005 and rename the MnyCoreFiles folder to MnyCoreFiles.old.

Copy and paste the MnyCoreFiles folder from Windows.old to the new installation and you should be able to run your data file.

You might be able to open a UK Money data file in Sunset http://www.microsoft.com/money/sunset.mspx. A few have said they can, many say it will not work. I think it will work if you have not used any UK Region customisation features.

Friday, June 3, 2011 8:10 AM
  • Hi - I have precisely the same issue, but without the backup files. Woudl bee keen to know if this fix worked?  Or if there is a list of the know files that changed and if its possible to manually patch?

Cheers

Saturday, June 11, 2011 1:41 PM
  • I am also in the same boat as AndySinc and not amused to say the least.

I had a disk crash on my PC which left me with only a backup copy of my Money 2005 data I've been keeping for 8 years. I don't have any mny or m14 files. I do not have a backup of the 1105 updated program folders from earlier, either.

I am a UK user and run Windows7 64-bit Service Pack 1; the installed version of Money 2005 shows 14.0.120.730. It obviously doesn't update to 1105 now that the server is unavailable.

I cannot restore the backup file before being able to upgrade to 1105. I tried installing the sunset version, but it is not compatible with the version of backup file from 2005 and does not restore.

Any ideas please?

Saturday, June 11, 2011 5:58 PM
  • I am neither a lawyer nor an ethicist, but I think that you would be on pretty safe ground if you could get a patched version of the Money core files from someone and installed it on your computer.  I do understand that it is probably a bit risky for someone to make the files publicly available on the net, but if you knew someone who could give it to you, i think you would not go to h*ll if you used it.
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 3:49 AM
  • I am neither a lawyer nor an ethicist, but I think that you would be on pretty safe ground if you could get a patched version of the Money core files from someone and installed it on your computer.  I do understand that it is probably a bit risky for someone to make the files publicly available on the net, but if you knew someone who could give it to you, i think you would not go to h*ll if you used it.
    I agree. But there are several affected versions of Money 2005, so you would need to be sure you had the updated files for the correct version or you might corrupt your data file.
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:55 AM
  • I have the exact same issue. If you have any joy at any time I would welcome any help
    • Proposed as answer by ecklish Thursday, July 7, 2011 3:52 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Hi, I had the same issue too and have been searching around for solutions.

Since I did not backup my entire folder, I manage to locate a friend who owns MS Money 2005. Copied the MnyCoreFiles and copied the setup files per following and the version is immediately upgraded to 1105.

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

So thankful that all my 5 years data are reinstates.

PS: rememebr to create a backup copy of MnyCoreFiles folders.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:55 AM
  • Also after the MNYCoreFiles restore here for my Purchased Product if anyone is sharing. It isn't backed up by the default (Recommended!!!) Windows Backup settings.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:57 PM
  • In exactly the same situation as RJ38...

It is unbeleivable that Microsoft havn't made it available.

Desperate to find the MNYCoreFiles files somewhere!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:19 PM
  • I've been able to get to System Restore to see my old MNYCoreFiles folder and make a copy.

I've moved my issue to thread :   Cannot Restore MS Money from Backup - Passport email or password incorrect

Friday, June 17, 2011 12:44 AM
  • I had the same problems as a lot of owners of a UK-version of Money experienced. Through a torrent download I obtained a working version of Money 2005 with 1105. It opens all my data (mny) files! I will be more than happy to offer it through DropBox or YouSendit
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 10:43 AM
  • I had the same problems as a lot of owners of a UK-version of Money experienced. Through a torrent download I obtained a working version of Money 2005 with 1105. It opens all my data (mny) files! I will be more than happy to offer it through DropBox or YouSendit

I hope you virus scanned it to hell and back.  I found a similar thing on Usenet (just out of interest) and Kaspersky decided it was a trojan.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 12:03 PM
  • I'd very much appreciate a copy of the 1105 files if at all possible.  This is killing me!

Monday, June 20, 2011 8:23 PM
  • I'd like to take up on your offer Hugo. I couldn't find any other source of 1105 files. Let me knwo what I need to do please.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:07 PM
  • I've had the same problems as people here but did have a 1105 version working on another computer. I tried copying the MNYCorefiles folder from the working version into the computer with the non-working version and had the same error messages as Kim. So, I deleted and replaced each MNYCorefile one by one and tried opening the Sample Money file after each file replacement to see if the new 1105 version had been installed (a very painful and slow process). Anyway, after going through the MNYCorefiles alphabetically and still getting the old version, I finally opened the sample Money file with the 1105 version after replacing one of these 5 files: manifest / marble / market /market32 / mcmoney.dll. Not sure which one did the trick but I am now running an 1105 version.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:37 AM
  • I am in the same situation, having a paid for copy of UK Money 2005 but not the 1105 patch.

The worst part is that Microsoft has but me in this position. On 6 June 2011, I ran the 'Windows 7 upgrade advisor' which I downloaded from Microsoft. This advises which programs will run on Windows 7. For Microsoft Money Version 14, it read "Paid update available. We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program. Get a paid update to a compatible version"

I have now done a clean install of Windows 7, and do not have a backed up copy of the MNY core files required for the 1105 patch, so I am not able to run Money and I  have not yet been able to locate a paid update.  But on 6 June 2011 as far as Microsoft were concerned, a paid update version is available. Are they going to honour that advice? I will be persuing this with them.

In the meantime if anyone knows how to get hold of the 1105 patch to get Money 2005 working on Windows 7 64bit, I would be very greatful to learn about this.

Richard
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:07 PM
  • HugoAriman....Which torrent did you use? I would like to get this.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:54 PM
  • I have a friend who having spent a very frustrating week trying to sort this 1105 mess out has decided to look around to see if there is a copy of the updated disc in the illegal torrent sites. There is one which is named as MS money 14.0.120.1105 iso and he tells me that he has downloaded it and has no viruses in it (or so his checker stated ) (avg professional) I have informed him that it is very naughty and no doubt illegal to do so however his argument that Microsoft has discontinued it and left thousands of users to find thier own way out of this mess I have to say swayed me somewhat. I of course would not recommend anyone on this forum to do as my friend has and should just accept that sometimes you will have to lose years of work because that is the way of things. We should realise that sometimes profits are more important than mere customers.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Is the iso for the UK version or the International version?
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Hi all - I have very reliable information that Microsoft is now aware of the issue around patch 1105 and is working to put both the international and UK English patches up on microsoft.com for download. It may take a week or more though, so hang in there!

Cheers

Friday, June 24, 2011 11:59 PM
  • Hi all - I have very reliable information that Microsoft is now aware of the issue around patch 1105 and is working to put both the international and UK English patches up on microsoft.com for download. It may take a week or more though, so hang in there!

Cheers

That sounds really good.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:10 AM

Cheers

That sounds really good.

True, but I'd trade it for an option to import 2005 data directly into Sunset.  Also MS have known about the patch for ages and done nothing about it EXCEPT remove it.  I wonder what might have changed.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 10:32 AM
  • Any update on the progress on this ?

I've been without MS Money for over two weeks now and finances are in a mess.

Monday, June 27, 2011 9:13 AM
  • OK guys this is very funny but I need an answer to this please .. I was told to come here for a resolution but nothing is happening :(
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:56 AM
  • HugoArlman, I would be exceedingly grateful for these files so that I can retrieve 14 years wth of work. I am not familiar with DropBox or YouSendit but I am willing to learn if you could somehow send me the files.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:33 AM
  • I'm with you, Andy - just for fun I had downloaded the Sunset version and installed it (which deleted my 2005 version - I know, I was warned0 but refused to open my Money file - so, I uninstalled and re-installed 2005 forgetting that it had previously updated and so, I too, am unable to open my 1105 version files. Very frustrating, especially as I have other software which works with my Money file to sync with my hand-held!

Is there really no way we can persuade MS to make the 1105 update available?

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:41 PM
  • I'm with you, Andy - just for fun I had downloaded the Sunset version and installed it (which deleted my 2005 version - I know, I was warned0 but refused to open my Money file - so, I uninstalled and re-installed 2005 forgetting that it had previously updated and so, I too, am unable to open my 1105 version files. Very frustrating, especially as I have other software which works with my Money file to sync with my hand-held!

Is there really no way we can persuade MS to make the 1105 update available?

Good news. See http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/7a8004a7-4b5d-436c-b0c6-99167d9ce509 Try to be patient. I don't have a schedule. Things sometimes take longer than planned anyway.

Had you paid close attention, I think you could have opted to not uninstall Money 2005 during the install of Money Plus Sunset. I still would have copied the MNYCoreFiles first, just in case.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Hugo - as long as it is still working and your computer is not infected, I would be very keen to acquire the necessary files to allow me access to my 2005 files!
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Are they large files? Could you email your working copies so that we can access our files?
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:58 PM
  • I am in the same situation, having a paid for copy of UK Money 2005 but not the 1105 patch.

The worst part is that Microsoft has but me in this position. On 6 June 2011, I ran the 'Windows 7 upgrade advisor' which I downloaded from Microsoft. This advises which programs will run on Windows 7. For Microsoft Money Version 14, it read "Paid update available. We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program. Get a paid update to a compatible version"

I have now done a clean install of Windows 7, and do not have a backed up copy of the MNY core files required for the 1105 patch, so I am not able to run Money and I  have not yet been able to locate a paid update.  But on 6 June 2011 as far as Microsoft were concerned, a paid update version is available. Are they going to honour that advice? I will be persuing this with them.

In the meantime if anyone knows how to get hold of the 1105 patch to get Money 2005 working on Windows 7 64bit, I would be very greatful to learn about this.

Richard
    I have taken this issue up with Microsoft. Their responce is

I am sorry to inform you that the assisted support for Microsoft Money expired on January 8, 2008 as the product is out of support lifecycle. Please refer to the following web link for information on support lifecycle;( http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/)

So why did the Windows 7 upgrage advisor not say this on 6 June 2011?? I do not think we will have much chance of Microsoft doing anything about this issue!!

Richard
    Monday, July 4, 2011 11:37 AM

• In Windows Explorer, go to Organize\Folder and search options\View tab and check "Show hidden files, folders and drives". If this is not done you are unlikely to copy everything needed.

Then reinstall Money 2005 and rename the MnyCoreFiles folder to MnyCoreFiles.old.

Copy and paste the MnyCoreFiles folder from Windows.old to the new installation and you should be able to run your data file.

You might be able to open a UK Money data file in Sunset http://www.microsoft.com/money/sunset.mspx. A few have said they can, many say it will not work. I think it will work if you have not used any UK Region customisation features.

Good news at last, for me at least. I have followed DominicP advice in his last paragraph as I have not used any UK region features. I downloaded US Money sunset and was able to open my files as administrator. At first everything looked great, I could input data etc but when I tried to use the reporting feature, the system would not run and I got a message about data file being corrupted. This led me to look at the Knowledege data base and I found kb/902466 "How to use the Microsoft Money Standard file repair utility" I followed the Quick repair feature and now all reporting is working and every thing seems A OK. Am I a happy man!!

Thanks DominicP your champion.

Richard.

Richard
    Monday, July 4, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Good news at last, for me at least. I have followed DominicP advice in his last paragraph as I have not used any UK region features. I downloaded US Money sunset and was able to open my files as administrator. At first everything looked great, I could input data etc but when I tried to use the reporting feature, the system would not run and I got a message about data file being corrupted. This led me to look at the Knowledege data base and I found kb/902466 "How to use the Microsoft Money Standard file repair utility" I followed the Quick repair feature and now all reporting is working and every thing seems A OK. Am I a happy man!!

Thanks DominicP your champion.

Congratulations. That does not work for most UK users. I suggest you review your backup policy. In particular, until you get some longer term success, you might want to keep more backups.

In M+: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
      Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
         a location rather than typing the path.
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _28_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _2_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

Then periodically, perhaps each month or three, copy your latest
    backup (uniquely named by Money) to a CDR.

* The reason I have Money ask me, is that I don't want to back up
    each time I exit.  If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
    not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
    backup files.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to Postpone.

Monday, July 4, 2011 6:52 PM
  • I also would much appreciate if I could receive this but am not so technically minded how does DropBox or YouSendit work (I will search Google)
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Anyone who isn't prepared to wait for the official Sunset 2005 release, I'm prepared to make the 1105 patch available. Just email me at money2005@jimwillsher.co.uk

I'm quite sure this is probably against Microsoft's Terms and Conditions, but I'm afraid that the T&Cs went out the window when Microsoft dumped us all in the sh*t......

Jim

PS this will available for a limited time only.

Saturday, July 9, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Hopefully a few more people are in a happier situation than they were on Saturday. I've stuck my head above the parapet and helped a few people get access to their Money 2005 UK files, it's now time for others to share the support and do the same.

My offer to provide the MnyCoreFiles folder is now closed.

Jim

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:42 AM
  •  

If anyone would like to email me a copy of the 1105 patch, I will be happy to send it on to anyone who asks.  Please send to:

rangdaa@gmail.com

I will post here when it has arrived.

Rangdaa

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:15 AM
  • Rangdaa - did you ever get it? I'm still in desperate need of 1105!

Lozza

Sunday, July 24, 2011 11:50 AM
  • The file is available here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9MZ91B87

AS

Sunday, July 24, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

I have had the same problem and have followed the instructions above from rangdaa, but am still getting an error message saying it can't find  C:\ Program Files (x86) money\ checksku.exe.  Has anyone any idea where I can find this file please? Without this file the program just won't load let alone access my existing money files. Please help, someone!!

Timcyp

Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Hi, PLEASE someone help me I am trying to reload money 2005 onto my computer after reformatting, I have tried every way possible via searches etc. but cannot get the patch 1105 to update on my old version. I have made copies of discs pulled the update from my backup and tried to integrate it into a new cd etc. but read that since jan 11 you cannot do this. PLEASE HELP - thanks Kim

This will help, just released by Microsoft on the 27th July 2011:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26915

Install your original disc, then RUN this update BEFORE you run Money 2005

Mike
    Friday, July 29, 2011 7:13 AM
  • This will help, just released by Microsoft on the 27th July 2011:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26915

Install your original disc, then RUN this update BEFORE you run Money 2005

Mike
    Mike, the download available via that URL would be  self-contained. There would  no need to use your original disk. However I just tried to download the file. It seems to not download for me right now.

Friday, July 29, 2011 9:51 AM
  • That link doesn't work properly.

When you take the download option it gives you a dialog box to download a file called UK2005web.exe with a filetype of HTML document, file size is 1.21kb.

You need to CANCEL that and you will then be returned to the "Thank you for downloading Money 2005 QFE2" page. On that page there is a hyperlink to take if the original download didn't start properly. Take that link and you will asked to download the proper file called Money2005-UK-QFE2.exec which has a filetype of Application and is 27.5 Mb in size.

Friday, July 29, 2011 11:30 AM
  • Looks like the main download link has now been fixed.

I have also used the file to test an install which works fine. Just to confirm what the download page says, the file can be used to do a full UK Money 2005 (level 1105) install. You do not have to install a previous version and then upgrade.

Friday, July 29, 2011 1:10 PM
  • I cannot find checksku.exe anywhere in the Dropbox download file and it does not exist in my Money 2004 installation.

It also is not included in the new Money 2005 UK - QFE2 so I expect we can ignore it.

Friday, July 29, 2011 2:01 PM
  • I have also used the file to test an install which works fine. Just to confirm what the download page says, the file can be used to do a full UK Money 2005 (level 1105) install. You do not have to install a previous version and then upgrade.

Does the new release still automatically update shares online or has that been removed?
    Friday, July 29, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Thanks to everyone for your help.  I now have all my old Money files available again at long last!
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Does the new release still automatically update shares online or has that been removed?

It looks like it does. I've been doing all my price updates manually since January but on this new test install I added a symbol to a fund and ran an update. The latest price entry showed as having a source of "Online".

Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:21 AM
  • Does the new release still automatically update shares online or has that been removed?
    Yt looks like it does. I've been doing all my price updates manually since January but on this new test install I added a symbol to a fund and ran an update. The latest price entry showed as having a source of "Online".
    That is good.
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 8:11 PM
  • It will update shares and funds. Probably a sop to appease us. This should not be expected to last indefinitely.

For shares you need the LSE Symbol http://www.eoddata.com/stocklist/LSE.htm.

For British Funds, the SEDOL number prefixed by GB and zeros to make an 11 character reference.

e.g. SEDOL A1B2C3 use GB000A1B2C3.

I've got the codes and stuff, I was just wondering whether to switch from 2005 Patched to the QFE2 version.
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Hi guys, i read a lot of the forums and realised i was stuffed as i had no way of installing the update after a system reinstallation. BUT to my amazement, i installed the sunset upgrade from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=20738 and it only worked! nigh on 15 years of data including my old quicken stuff so hopefully i can move to a new package asap.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Particularly if you are in the US, PocketSense may make the Money Plus Deluxe Sunset installation more useful by fetching OFX statements from servers provided by your financial instutions.

Most people on this thread were not using a US version of Money. Since your installation worked well, I presume your installation was a US version.

Glad things went well.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:41 PM
  • I just got this sorted.  Reinstalled from Money disk, and then used the updates at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8D3E4565-A804-48E0-8F8C-75AB8DE405A1&displaylang=e&displaylang=en.  File opened perfectly.
    • Proposed as answer by VancouverBrit Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:55 PM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:54 PM
  • If its the update that money 2005 needs to function try this it worked  for me? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26922
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:45 AM
  • Although the solution is shown further down this chain, it takes a bit of finding.

If you already have the original version of Money 2005 installed, download the upgrade pack from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26915

Run it and then start Money.  It will give you a brief upgrade message and then should run OK.  I copied my .mny files from a Vista machine to Windows 7 64 bit and all seems to be working OK.

Now just breath a sigh of relief!

• Proposed as answer by wd5mush Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Do you still have that version??  Where are you.?

I am desperate to get up and working Money on my new computer (Windows 8)  as I have years of data in my back up file.   My Money is the 730 version everyone seems to be mentioning and it seems there is no way forward unless I can get the 1105 version.   I would gladly pay expenses to get the disk to me and return it.   I am in Cornwall.

Sunday, January 6, 2013 8:18 AM
  • Further to my last  Dropbox would be fine if you still have the info.
    Sunday, January 6, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Just read the first, sticky post in this forum.
    Sunday, January 6, 2013 8:35 AM
  • http://money.mvps.org/downloads/patches.aspx

1105 patch can be found here, just installed on my Windows 8.1 Laptop and it works! Hurrah! Saved for future use, if it works at all next time, may have to run a Win7 VM just for that ;)

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:58 PM