Condused....Client and server side RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to synchronization and am confused about some things.

1. Before synchronising we need to add about 3 more columns (insert_timestamp,update_timestamp,orginator_id) to the database. Is this applicable only to the server side database or also the client side database?
    2. Both my databases have same tables (including table name). However, do they need to have the same database name?
    3. Do i configure my sync tables at the server side or client side?

Hope some one can help answer the above question.

Thanks

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 10:46 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 4:02 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Yes, there are samples in VB. Check out the SDK page, there is a separate download for a sample in VB.

Thanks

Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The first thing i recommend you to get started with synchronization is to check demos, sdk and this article.

Quick Answers:

(1) Yes,  you need to be able to track changes on your database, the columns you listed above are one way to do it. This is only for server side, the client side provider takes care of everything for you.

(2) No,  you can have different database names and even table names (provided that you supply the mapping to the server side). Remember, we are not replicating the database, we are synchronizing data changes.

(3) Client Side

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 4:18 PM
  • Hi Rafik,

Thanks for the answers. I was going through the demos and realised that they are all in C#. From the demos, I tried writing the codes in VB but found that some codes are not in VB. One example is as follows.

VB

Code Snippet

Dim orderDetailsBuilder As SqlSyncAdapterBuilder = New SqlSyncAdapterBuilder()

orderDetailsBuilder .SyncDirection = SyncDirection.Bidirectional

orderDetailsBuilder .Connection = stringBuilder 'Error

C#

Code Snippet

SqlSyncAdapterBuilder orderDetailsBuilder = new SqlSyncAdapterBuilder();
    orderDetailsBuilder.SyncDirection = SyncDirection.Bidirectional;
    orderDetailsBuilder.Connection = serverConnection;

The last line in the VB Code gives an error cause there is no ".Connection" for SqlSyncAdapterBuilder. Do i need to insert any reference for that?

I Would also like to request you if you have any sample code in VB?

Thanks

Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:59 AM
  •  

Hi,

Yes, there are samples in VB. Check out the SDK page, there is a separate download for a sample in VB.

Thanks

Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:47 PM