Install Missing Updates for HIDDEN Windows Genuine Advantage Notification RRS feed

• Question

• OneCare keeps asking me to install Missing updates.

The only thing which is not installed is

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)

Which I have set to hidden.

I have run the "Genuine" updates about 10 time and I don't want to run it again now.

How do I disable the message for "Hidden" updates.

-Mike

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:44 PM

Answers

• You can't. Any updates identified by Microsoft (even is we don't agree!) as important or critical need to be installed or OneCare will report "at risk."

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:59 PM

All replies

• You can't. Any updates identified by Microsoft (even is we don't agree!) as important or critical need to be installed or OneCare will report "at risk."

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:59 PM
  • Thanks Stephen,

I though that might be the answer.

It would be nice if there were a way to ignore updates we had marked as hidden.

Maybe some form of advanced user overrides for OneCare.

Sometimes we really do know better :-)

-Mike

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:52 PM
  • That's why I included the "even if we don't agree" part.

I should have started with, "You won't like this answer, but..."

I don't expect to see any form of advanced over-ride functionality for any of the items that OneCare deems to be important to protecting us from ourselves... er, I mean... protecting us from threats.

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:53 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the frank answer delivered in a friendly manner.  That makes the answer easier to tolerate even as the answer represents what's wrong with Microsoft.  I doubt there is ANY rationale that would persuade the "powers that be" to do otherwise, but I do want to share my thinking on this matter. 

As a legitmate, legal owner of an XP license that permits me to use this operating system on my computer, the Fair Status (yellow) of Widows Live OneCare requiring me to install the Genuine Advantage tool just means I will select a different virus program next time around.  Why would you want to do that?  I may even change before my year is up. 

Now, here is why I don't want this tool installed on my computer:

1)  This requirement was added after my purchase of the license.  Thus, I was not informed of this requirement as a condition of purchase.

2)  You already require activation. Why would you activate copies that are not valid?  And if you cannot check validity at the time of installation, what is activation all about?

3)  There is no direct advantage to me.  My copy is legal.  I already know that.  Installing this tool can only cause me a major problem if it makes a mistake (fails) indicating my system is not legal, and I've heard of these scenarios.

4) Microsoft creating hassles like this for legal owners of their license is what creates so much ill will among their customers.  And trust me, it reduces loyalty, something you may one day need.

Enough.  I despise this OneCare requirement. 

Thanks for reading.
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:32 PM
  • Hi, T.

Yes, you're not alone with the disdain of the WGA business, in particular. I don't much care for it, too. What I find interesting is that the major pirates are not thwarted by WGA and it only targets those who don't know that they are pirating if they install the same copy of Windows to multiple computers. And, you're right, it causes legitimate users pain for the few that it teaches.

Thanks for your comments.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:44 AM