Can't find .pst files after a restore RRS feed

• Question

• My old computer crashed.   When I did a  restore to my new computer from my externial hard drive, I could not find the .pst files to restore my e-mail in MS Outlook.  Does a routine backup in OneCare save the .pst files? 

Thanks,

Kent

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:53 PM

Answers

• It appears that the Help text on this topic has been changed and it no longer explains the entire process for recovering email from a backup.

What happens is that OneCare backs up your .pst file to an alternate location if there already is a .pst file of the same name in the location where it was when it was backed up. It will not overwrite the newer file. So, if you installed Outlook and opened it before the restore was performed, outlook.pst is located in a different folder. Search your PC for *.pst and specify to look at hidden files and folders to see all .pst files on the PC.

If you left the default options to backup all files in OneCare, the .pst file was backed up and a full restore would have restored it.

Once you have restored it, you will need to import the data from the restored .pst file into your new .pst file. This procedure is in Help, but not the bit about the alternate location.

1. Start Outlook.
    2. On the File menu, click Import and Export.
    3. Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
    4. Under Select file type to import from, click Personal folder file (.pst), and then click Next.
    5. Click Browse, and then select the folder where you restored your files.
    6. Under Options, click Do not import duplicates, and then click Next.
    7. Under Select the folder to import from, make sure that the top-level folder of the mail that you're importing is selected and that the Include subfolders check box is selected.
    8. Select the folder where you want to put the imported files, and then click Finish.

If you need help, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:26 PM

All replies

• It appears that the Help text on this topic has been changed and it no longer explains the entire process for recovering email from a backup.

What happens is that OneCare backs up your .pst file to an alternate location if there already is a .pst file of the same name in the location where it was when it was backed up. It will not overwrite the newer file. So, if you installed Outlook and opened it before the restore was performed, outlook.pst is located in a different folder. Search your PC for *.pst and specify to look at hidden files and folders to see all .pst files on the PC.

If you left the default options to backup all files in OneCare, the .pst file was backed up and a full restore would have restored it.

Once you have restored it, you will need to import the data from the restored .pst file into your new .pst file. This procedure is in Help, but not the bit about the alternate location.

1. Start Outlook.
    2. On the File menu, click Import and Export.
    3. Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
    4. Under Select file type to import from, click Personal folder file (.pst), and then click Next.
    5. Click Browse, and then select the folder where you restored your files.
    6. Under Options, click Do not import duplicates, and then click Next.
    7. Under Select the folder to import from, make sure that the top-level folder of the mail that you're importing is selected and that the Include subfolders check box is selected.
    8. Select the folder where you want to put the imported files, and then click Finish.

If you need help, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Thanks, this was helpful.  I had searched for *.pst files before I posted but the key is to include hidden files.  I am still not very satisfied with the backup that was done.  I seem to have all my contacts but there are gaps in the files in the inbox.  I don't think that OneCare provides good visibility into what it is doing when it does backups.   I haven't explored that aspect so it may be that if you work at it you can figure it out but I am more in the mode of wanting applications to just take care of me now.

Friday, July 25, 2008 3:00 AM
  • If you see "gaps" in the data within the Inbox, that would mean that emails that were received after the last backup was performed are not available. Depending on the frequency of the backups, you are only going to recover the PC back to state of the last backup. Any changes after that backup will be lost on a full restore.

You may want to consider configuring Outlook to leave messages on your ISPs email server for x number of days before deleting, where x is one day greater than the backup frequency you have set in OneCare.

I agree that OneCare needs much improvement in the backup area  and not just for the visibility of what it is doing. In your case, though, email in Outlook goes to a single PST file. If you have selected to backup email, OneCare will backup that .pst  file each time backup runs. Since you located the restored .pst file, OneCare was doing its job.

-steve

Friday, July 25, 2008 1:09 PM