Accessing server backup on another computer (revisited) RRS feed

• Question

• I've read this post, but does not really answer the question:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/74690f34-7ce1-40d3-892b-8b6823a1b670

If I take my backup drive to another computer and look at it, I do not have permissions to see data (including the .vhd files). Permissions are indicating something (hex id) not local to this windows 7 machine (as we see next from the server).

Looking at the drive security on the server, my server Administrators and Backup Operators are the only users with access...so in the event of bare metal restore, am I going to have credentials to access this data for restoration? Is this part of the recovery process that I re-enter my credentials?

If I want to get data off the drive via the VHD without restoring the server, how can I add another user account on the backup hard drive (not requisite on the server system)?

If I go back under the server and map the physical drive I can see the .vhd files and than mount those files and see (apparently) the latest backup...no incremental access (better than nothing).

I have to say I miss the backup access via WHS 1...all incrementals just showed up as directories with the files linked off somewhere....but very easy to access.

Thanks for the help,

Jon

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:32 PM

All replies

• I just took a backup drive from my server and put it in my Win7 ultimate box.  Open storage manager and attach a vhd.  Browse to the folder with windows server backup.  I had 3 vhd files.  One for system reserved, one for c: and one for D:

Attcahed both the one for C: and D:  Trick though is it does not work if you tick read only.  They attached and got drive letters.  From explorer I clciked, Music I think and it said I did not have permission, click continue to get it

You have to keep in mind this is Windows Server Backup, not robo copy.  I am not sure I would trust these as good backups now that I have fingered with them.

The proper way to recover files would be to put the drive in another server 08 R2 box and use Windows Server Backup to restore the files by selecting backups are on another server and then selecting the disc.

Grey
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Thanks,

So, when you brought it to your Win 7 box, did you have any trouble seeing the .vhd files from explorer?

On my system, I received an "access denied"...looking at security permissions on the drive, they were all tied back to the server. Is your drive dedicated to backup?

My concern is I will still have no permissions to the .vhd/backup files even on another server...and raises my concern about how to do a bare metal restore...has anyone gone through the process???

Jon

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:30 PM
  • I did not explore to the vhd files.

I attached the vhd in storage manager and the vhd got a drive letter.  I then explored the drive letter.  What I did find odd, but not odd enough to worry over is I could explore the system drive no questions asked.  But when I explored the d: drive and got to the shares I had to click continue to get permission.

BMR is a totally different process and works like a charm.  I would strongly suggest you get an extra dive to go ahead and "play" with BMR.  It is easier to do when it does not count :)

And yes it is a dedicated drive.  That is the only kind :)

Grey
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:51 PM
  • On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:30:19 +0000, jmbraben wrote:

Thanks,

So, when you brought it to your Win 7 box, did you have any trouble seeing the .vhd files from explorer?

On my system, I received an "access denied"...looking at security permissions on the drive, they were all tied back to the server. Is your drive dedicated to backup?

My concern is I will still have no permissions to the .vhd/backup files even on another server...and raises my concern about how to do a bare metal restore...has anyone gone through the process???

Gaining access to the required VHD files for a server bare metal restore is
    all handled by the bare metal restore process itself. Trying to access the
    VHD files directly from another computer is a useless exercise when
    determining whether or not a bare metal restore will work as that is not
    part of the process.

If you want to access the VHD on another computer then you either need to
    modify the permissions on the VHD or run the Disk Management console in an
    elevated context as Administrator.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.  -- Brian Reid

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:55 PM
  • BMR is a totally different process and works like a charm.  I would strongly suggest you get an extra dive to go ahead and "play" with BMR.  It is easier to do when it does not count :)

Grey,

Thanks again, and I was thinking the same thing. A "dry run" on a restore will make me "feel better" about where there may be problems.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:07 PM
  • Paul,

Thanks...having had multiple h/w failures in the past, I tend to look at file access and system recovery options a little more closely.

I agree that the .vhd files themselves on another machine are a path of last resort and I don't want to go there (but will if necessary).

Thanks for confirming the bare metal restore will deal with accessing the backup drive properly...I think I'm going to grab another drive and run through the process for my own education.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:18 PM