Best practice for MCSE courses ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it a requirement, very important, beneficial, or unimportant to have the Windows 7 AD course together with Windows 7 client course? If important, should it then be taken before or can it just as well be taken after the Windows 7 client course?

I know what MS says and I know that when I studied for Windows 2003/XP MCSE I had good use of having the AD studies done prior to WinXP client but I've never tried it the other way around but now my employer, although I've pointed this out for several years (while waiting for some knowledge upgrade), does not believe me and have decided that I can do without the AD, or maybe get it another year.

I'm an old MCSE for Win2003 + XP.
    Atm I'm in charge of all computers (Windows 7), smartphones, users and their accounts, + a few other areas. I'm supposed to be able to secure these clients with GPO's and other type of registry modifications + also apps on the computers to heighten security.
    With Windows 2000 and XP (as an MCSE) I had all the knowledge on how to work the Server AD user accounts and modifying start-up GPO's, etc.. With Windows 7 Server AD and Windows 7 Client I'm quite lost. I can't secure the clients like I could on Windows XP, because of my lack of knowledge.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:31 AM

Answers

• I am not sure which courses you are referring to, but it sounds like you are interested in gaining more insight into the newer operating systems so you can manager your infrastructure more effectively. Are you interested in updating your certifications or just learning what you need want to know? I highly recommend www.CBTNuggets.com for a great classroom like experience via on demand whiteboard video series by top-notch IT pros. So, I would see of you can get your company to invest $100/month to make that available to you, or even personally buy it for a few months to invest in yourself. There is also www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com which provides a lot of useful videos for free on various Microsoft platforms and products. There is also www.trainsignal.com that provides videos with similar training videos for $50/month, but I don't get as much out of them as I do of CBT Nuggets. To each his own though.

Ultimately I recommend going for your MCSE Desktop Infrastructure (5 tests and you also get MCSA Windows Server 2012) because that will take you through the latest server operating systems, with group policy coverage, and will take you all the way to learning how System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) can make your life so much easier if you manage a mid to large environment. There is also the MCSA Windows 7 which is only 2 tests, but I don't know if that would really do a whole lot for what you are describing.

I would also recommend learning Windows Intune as it can be great, especially when coupled with SCCM, for managing mobile devices.

I would be happy to reply back and forth around on this forum if it is informative for you. I would also suggest creating a Twitter profile and connecting with @MSLearning as they can be very helpful too.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:14 PM

All replies

• I am not sure which courses you are referring to, but it sounds like you are interested in gaining more insight into the newer operating systems so you can manager your infrastructure more effectively. Are you interested in updating your certifications or just learning what you need want to know? I highly recommend www.CBTNuggets.com for a great classroom like experience via on demand whiteboard video series by top-notch IT pros. So, I would see of you can get your company to invest $100/month to make that available to you, or even personally buy it for a few months to invest in yourself. There is also www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com which provides a lot of useful videos for free on various Microsoft platforms and products. There is also www.trainsignal.com that provides videos with similar training videos for $50/month, but I don't get as much out of them as I do of CBT Nuggets. To each his own though.

Ultimately I recommend going for your MCSE Desktop Infrastructure (5 tests and you also get MCSA Windows Server 2012) because that will take you through the latest server operating systems, with group policy coverage, and will take you all the way to learning how System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) can make your life so much easier if you manage a mid to large environment. There is also the MCSA Windows 7 which is only 2 tests, but I don't know if that would really do a whole lot for what you are describing.

I would also recommend learning Windows Intune as it can be great, especially when coupled with SCCM, for managing mobile devices.

I would be happy to reply back and forth around on this forum if it is informative for you. I would also suggest creating a Twitter profile and connecting with @MSLearning as they can be very helpful too.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Thank you so much for your reply.
    Very informative and I'm going to check on all of your advices.

I am both interested in the certification and the upgarde of my knowledge to my needs with my organization.
    The certificates are nothing I personally care about but needed for future employers.

I'm not the kind that can learn by reading, I need to practice to learn and therefore, sadly, those seemingly interesting and fantastic distance courses are probably not that good for me. Still, I will check them out. Money is a big concern for an environmental organization (where I work). It's donors money and we have to think twice about how we spend them.

Again, thanks,
    Mats
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:37 AM