Activation after doing a repair installation RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 PCs.  A Dell with genuine Windows XP Professional SP2 pre-installed, a Certificate of Authenticity with a unique Product Key attached to it, and a XP Professional installation disk (supplied by Dell).  The other PC is a Sony, also with genuine Windows XP Professional SP2 pre-installed, a Certificate of Authenticity with a unique Product Key attached to it, but without any XP Professional installation disk or any other type of recovery option. 

The Sony needed a repair installation and, not having the proper installation disk, I instead used the installation disk from the Dell.  After the repair was complete, I was surprised to be asked to to activate Windows before I could login and was given a 54-digit Installation ID.  I believe I was asked to go through activation because I had used the Dell's installation disk to make the repair.  I clicked the "Change Product Key" button, entered the Product Key from the Sony's Certificate of Authenticity and was given a different Installation ID.  I would rather avoid a clean install of any operating system because the Sony also has MS Office Professional installed and I don't have the installation disk for that either.

Before I activate the repaired Windows XP Professional on the Sony, I want to be sure that using the new Installation ID will not invalidate the Windows XP Professional installation on the Dell (which has always worked with no activation or MGA problems).  There is no point breaking one PC in order to fix the other - if there is a chance of that, I'll seek another solution.  I tried calling Microsoft's "Activate by telephone" service with this question, but they suggested I call a Microsoft Customer Services Rep.  Unfortunately, after a lengthy call I was left far from confident that the rep understood my question - repeating what I had said differently several times and variously saying that it would be OK, then saying it wouldn't work because it is an OEM disk, then saying I need to call Sony for support, and finally suggesting I use Microsoft's paid support.  I am hoping the community here will inspire me with more confidence.

Friday, April 9, 2010 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hello Apollo 62,

I see your concern, but at the moment you in effect have a "zero-day trial installation" of XP.

I wanted to have a look at the mgadiag report to confirm my response, but since it does not seem like you will be able to run one, I can just go from here.

You did a repair reinstallation of Windows XP Pro on a computer that is according to the CoA licensed to run XP Pro.  However, your decision to use the Dell OEM SLP installation disc means that repair installation will never activate, because the Sony computer does not have the required Dell BIOS image that the Dell installation disc is looking for.  That's why up to this point, you never encountered a problem, as you stated "...which has always worked with no activation or MGA problems."  The Dell disc sees the Dell BIOS image and self-activates.

You have two options at this point.

(1)  Contact Sony to order a Recovery/Reinstallation disc set specific to your model of Sony.  Assuming these are available from Sony, IMO this is the best option because typically the Recovery disc set will have the drivers and the applications that came with the computer when it was new, simplifying and speeding up installation.  The bad news is that most likely you will need to rescue your data from the computer before running the recovery since as a rule, the recovery discs repartition and reformat the user partitions of the hard disk, so any data on the disc is in jeopardy until you copy it off.

(2)  Canvass friends, family, and coworkers to see if anyone can loan you a genuine Microsoft hologrammed systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer installation disc for XP Pro.  (These are genuine hologrammed discs that have "For distribution only with a new PC" and "For support, contact the manfacturer of the PC" engraved in the hologram in the upper left quadrant.  Retail full and retail upgrade discs are also hologrammed discs but they do not have the wording and will not accept the Sony's product key.)  This is the so-called "generic" OEM installation disc that can re-repair your current installation, and that will accept the product key on the Sony's CoA for installation.  However, you will likely have to use Telephonic Activation to activate this installation since major manufacturer Product Keys cannot be automatically activated if the installation was done using the generic CD.  Resist the temptation to download copies of the disc that are on the internet---none is an offically sanctioned copy from Microsoft and research shows there's better than a 50-50 chance that the disc image will have malware embedded in it.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:57 PM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 9:20 PM

All replies

• Hello Apollo 62,

Please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, April 9, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Thanks Dan,

Unfortunately, I can't get beyond the login page, can't access the internet, can't use USB drives, can't do anything without activating Windows.  Each user I click goes to the "you must activate windows" page before logging on.  I can either activate "over the internet", "activate by phone" or "activate later".  I have no internet connection, and as I said above, the telephone guys did not inspire confidence in their answers.  The "activate later" page just goes back to the login screen. 

I could use the PC I'm typing this on to download the MGA diagnostics tool onto a USB flash drive, but I would have no way to access it on the Sony.

Friday, April 9, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Hello Apollo 62,

Will the system let you follow the instructions in "Fracture's" post in this thread?  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/ece30d55-d72d-4ff9-afe8-a577f0f4564f

Friday, April 9, 2010 5:59 PM
  • I can get it into safe mode and see the start menu.  However, I would be extremely reluctant to run "rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk " and simply end up with what (according to Fracture) sounds like a 30-day trail version, when I had a working genuine XP Professional with just a few minor issues, before attempting the repair. 
    Friday, April 9, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Hello Apollo 62,

I see your concern, but at the moment you in effect have a "zero-day trial installation" of XP.

I wanted to have a look at the mgadiag report to confirm my response, but since it does not seem like you will be able to run one, I can just go from here.

You did a repair reinstallation of Windows XP Pro on a computer that is according to the CoA licensed to run XP Pro.  However, your decision to use the Dell OEM SLP installation disc means that repair installation will never activate, because the Sony computer does not have the required Dell BIOS image that the Dell installation disc is looking for.  That's why up to this point, you never encountered a problem, as you stated "...which has always worked with no activation or MGA problems."  The Dell disc sees the Dell BIOS image and self-activates.

You have two options at this point.

(1)  Contact Sony to order a Recovery/Reinstallation disc set specific to your model of Sony.  Assuming these are available from Sony, IMO this is the best option because typically the Recovery disc set will have the drivers and the applications that came with the computer when it was new, simplifying and speeding up installation.  The bad news is that most likely you will need to rescue your data from the computer before running the recovery since as a rule, the recovery discs repartition and reformat the user partitions of the hard disk, so any data on the disc is in jeopardy until you copy it off.

(2)  Canvass friends, family, and coworkers to see if anyone can loan you a genuine Microsoft hologrammed systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer installation disc for XP Pro.  (These are genuine hologrammed discs that have "For distribution only with a new PC" and "For support, contact the manfacturer of the PC" engraved in the hologram in the upper left quadrant.  Retail full and retail upgrade discs are also hologrammed discs but they do not have the wording and will not accept the Sony's product key.)  This is the so-called "generic" OEM installation disc that can re-repair your current installation, and that will accept the product key on the Sony's CoA for installation.  However, you will likely have to use Telephonic Activation to activate this installation since major manufacturer Product Keys cannot be automatically activated if the installation was done using the generic CD.  Resist the temptation to download copies of the disc that are on the internet---none is an offically sanctioned copy from Microsoft and research shows there's better than a 50-50 chance that the disc image will have malware embedded in it.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:57 PM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 9:20 PM
  • It occurred to me, that as I got the Sony PC to go into safe mode, I could run MGADiag.  Here are the results of that:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0019.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-TCW6B-6R3B9-VR838
    Windows Product Key Hash: Lr8MgYR3RQHBbeBvDSeexITe4MM=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2212527-66595
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {9A1FC4C7-9587-480A-B7AE-7EC74086DECA}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office XP Professional - 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Publisher 2002 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005_E2AD56EA-765-8009_E2AD56EA-766-2ee7_E2AD56EA-148-80004005_16E0B333-89-80004005_B4D0AA8B-1029-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{9A1FC4C7-9587-480A-B7AE-7EC74086DECA}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0019.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VR838</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2212527-66595</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-334337264-1417066420-3376078148</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Sony Corporation    </Manufacturer><Model>PCG-R600HEP(GB)     </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>R0223U1</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20011019000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>5A010000018400B6</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Sony Corporation</name><model>PCG-R600HEP/HEPD/MEP</model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.7.18.5"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.7.18.5"/></GANotification></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>5E064916BF27534</Val><Hash>sSbtLXleqmg388wGWavM293MWBc=</Hash><Pid>54186-OEM-1790551-25914</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91190409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Publisher 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>BDB6124EBC7BBB4</Val><Hash>clsR60SWJxVtwezn9B+bsggJ1SE=</Hash><Pid>54197-OEM-1690417-25914</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="10" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 88FF:Semp Toshiba Informatica Ltda|1FFB0:Sony Corporation|1FFB0:Sony Corporation ITCNC|88FF:TOSHIBA CORPORATION
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

• Edited by Apollo 62 Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:34 AM
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:05 AM
  • Referring to the above report, I notice the following:  "Windows Product Key: *****-*****-TCW6B-6R3B9-VR838" and "Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2212527-66595" which are related to the Sony PC and the Product Key on its COA.  I also notice "Windows License Type: OEM System Builder" which sounds promising - maybe the XP Professional installation disk I used to do the repair was a "systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer installation disc for XP Pro" even though it lacks the hologram?

On the other hand, I notice the apparent conflict  in: "Marker string from BIOS: 88FF:Semp Toshiba Informatica Ltda|1FFB0:Sony Corporation|1FFB0:Sony Corporation ITCNC|88FF:TOSHIBA CORPORATION" which points to it being a Sony BIOS, but "Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System" suggests oembios.dat has been copied into %windir%\system32\oembios.dat from the XP Professional installation disk.  But it is rather strange that it also says "BIOS string matches: yes".  Then again, perhaps I'm clutching at straws in thinking this might yet work.

Just in case this doesn't work, and bearing in mind the lack of any rescue disks, is there a way to reverse the repair installation at this stage? - the problems I had on the Sony PC were quite minor (an inability to do user management, or search for files using Windows Explorer, and maybe a few other things I didn't notice).

TBH, having the Sony fail to validate is less of problem than having it validate successfully and suddenly invalidate the Dell at the same time.  I've already backed up any data I wanted, and I could always do a clean install of another operating system (at the cost of losing a perfectly genuine Microsoft Office Professional)

Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:31 AM
  • Hello Apollo 62,

Sorry, repair reinstallations are not reversible.

Check with Sony support regarding the recovery discs:  http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/index.aspx?l=en_GB

Saturday, April 10, 2010 3:12 AM