File corrupted and all previous versions (shadow copies) deleted RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

While trying to revert to previous version of a file stored on the Windows Home Server, I discovered that all the shadow copies had been deleted today because "the shadow copy storage could not grow in time" while I was moving quite a lot of data to and from the server:

Code Block

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: VolSnap
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 25
    Date:  04.11.2007
    Time:  18:14:22
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HOME
    Description:
    The shadow copies of volume D: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time.  Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

According to the eventlog, this is the 6th time this has happened since I installed WHS OEM on my server in late September.

I am now very worried about keeping important data on the home server as there are apparently no other backups...

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

My setup is quite plain-vanilla: a Pentium IV at 1.5GHz, 2x new 320GB PATA 7.2Krpm disks, 1GB RAM...

Sunday, November 4, 2007 10:14 PM

Answers

•  kariya21 wrote:

(snip)

If he's moving as many GBs around as it sounds like he's doing and changes the size to no limit, he'll fill up his server space very quickly (depending on how much space he has to start with, of course).  Especially if he's moving it to another share on the server, that file would now be on the server twice (three times if it's moved to a share with duplication turned on).

Hi, I was moving things around, saving and deleting quite a lot of data until I got everything working as I wanted (MyMovies on Vista Media Center with an XBox 360).

From now on, I only expect to save DVDs to the server, like you do, so it is unlikely that this exact scenario will happen to me again, but it has tought me that I can not trust the Previous Version client as much as I tought. It might not be there when I need it, unlike on my trusty old Windows 2003 Server. Will probably set up a daily copy to that other system, on which Shadow Copy runs well...

Thank you for your help & best regards,

Stephen

Monday, November 5, 2007 1:43 AM

All replies

•  SErmann wrote:

Hi,

While trying to revert to previous version of a file stored on the Windows Home Server, I discovered that all the shadow copies had been deleted today because "the shadow copy storage could not grow in time" while I was moving quite a lot of data to and from the server:

Code Block

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: VolSnap
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 25
    Date:  04.11.2007
    Time:  18:14:22
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HOME
    Description:
    The shadow copies of volume D: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time.  Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

According to the eventlog, this is the 6th time this has happened since I installed WHS OEM on my server in late September.

I am now very worried about keeping important data on the home server as there are apparently no other backups...

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

My setup is quite plain-vanilla: a Pentium IV at 1.5GHz, 2x new 320GB PATA 7.2Krpm disks, 1GB RAM...

This happened to me in RC1.  I was moving tons of data (read muliple DVD isos) from share to share.  It deleted my Shadow Copies as well.  I think this is because I went over the maximum limit allowed for it (10% of the total drive space on each physical drive, which, in my case, was 40 GB on a 400 GB drive, which is only 10 DVDs....)

Sunday, November 4, 2007 10:25 PM
  • Thank you for your answer!

I was also moving DVD files (VOBs and WMVs) from and to the server, but I believe that I moved and deleted less than 10% of the physical disk space at the time of the failure.

On the other hand, the second disk only has 6% free space (while the first disk is still quite empty), so maybe Shadow Copy ran into an issue when trying to extend its pool on that disk...

In both cases, I am worried:

1. Saving DVDs to the server will fill the Shadow Copy storage pool very quickly and push out all other documents;

2. If only one user on a 100Mbps link can saturate the server's disk IO, it is definitively not robust enough for a real-life family like mine, where I could be uploading a DVD while my son syncs his MP3 player and my wife could be watching a movie on the XBox 360;

When you had this issue on RC1, did you find a way to avoid it happening again?

Did you find a way to disable Shadow Copy on the Video shares, knowing that on a Windows 2003 Server, this is managed on a volume basis, not a share basis? Did you increase the size of the Shadow Copy storage pool?

Best regards,

Stephen

Monday, November 5, 2007 12:54 AM
  • I don't think the maximum allowed size of the shadow copies has anything to do with it. It's more likely caused by the shadow copy of some file growing with more then 100MB while at the same time some other process (like backup) is accessing the file. On normal servers this is quite a rare event. However I can imagine that with DE making frequent use of volume snaphots this can also happen with very lengthy file transfers of large files. The scenario Kariy21 describes, copying large files from share to share is likely to cause this type of problem. I think the best solution would be that WHS team takes care of some update that supends DE activity during file transfer or backup.

MS has published a hotfix which amongst a load of other improvements stretches the 100MB limit to 300 MB. You may wish to try it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833167

To rule out maximum allowed size of shadow copy just RDP to WHS desktop, then open explorer window, right click on C drive, choose properties, go to shadow copies tab, for all listed shadow copies set size to "no limit"

Monday, November 5, 2007 1:00 AM
  •  SErmann wrote:
    Thank you for your answer!

I was also moving DVD files (VOBs and WMVs) from and to the server, but I believe that I moved and deleted less than 10% of the physical disk space at the time of the failure.

This is only my obvseration, but it makes the most sense from what I've seen:

It appears to be cumulative.  In other words, you may only move 5 GB today, but if you moved another 5 GB the day before, and another 5 GB the day before that, you've moved 15 GB total.  Also, it's per physical disk, not the entire server space.  So, if the total physical drive where the files were stored was 200 GB (and in my example you've already moved 15 GB total so far), after moving 5 more GB (which would get you to a total of 20 GB in Shadow Copies and the apparent magical 10% of the physical drive), I think at that point you will get the error and flush all of your Shadow Copies.

SErmann wrote:
    On the other hand, the second disk only has 6% free space (while the first disk is still quite empty), so maybe Shadow Copy ran into an issue when trying to extend its pool on that disk...

That's another possibility as well...

SErmann wrote:
    In both cases, I am worried:

1. Saving DVDs to the server will fill the Shadow Copy storage pool very quickly and push out all other documents;

I don't believe saving them to the server is the problem.  It's when you move/delete them from a network share that it stores it in Shadow Copies.

SErmann wrote:
    2. If only one user on a 100Mbps link can saturate the server's disk IO, it is definitively not robust enough for a real-life family like mine, where I could be uploading a DVD while my son syncs his MP3 player and my wife could be watching a movie on the XBox 360;

If you have all of that going on at the same time, you might get some problems, but I doubt that it would have anything to do with Shadow Copies at that point (more likely RAM and/or CPU).  Having said that, I've copied one DVD to the server and streamed another to my 360 at the same time without issue (but I have a dual core CPU and 2 GB of RAM on the server).

SErmann wrote:
    When you had this issue on RC1, did you find a way to avoid it happening again?

Yep, once I put a movie in the Videos share, it's there forever. Smile

SErmann wrote:
    Did you find a way to disable Shadow Copy on the Video shares, knowing that on a Windows 2003 Server, this is managed on a volume basis, not a share basis?

No, like you said, it is on a volume basis.

SErmann wrote:
    Did you increase the size of the Shadow Copy storage pool?

I thought about doing that, but I ultimately decided not to (in retrospect, considering it was beta at the time, I probably should have tried it).

SErmann wrote:
    Best regards,

Stephen

Monday, November 5, 2007 1:10 AM
  •  brubber wrote:
    I don't think the maximum allowed size of the shadow copies has anything to do with it. It's more likely caused by the shadow copy of some file growing with more then 100MB while at the same time some other process (like backup) is accessing the file. On normal servers this is quite a rare event. However I can imagine that with DE making frequent use of volume snaphots this can also happen with very lengthy file transfers of large files. The scenario Kariy21 describes, copying large files from share to share is likely to cause this type of problem. I think the best solution would be that WHS team takes care of some update that supends DE activity during file transfer or backup.

Well, it only happened to me once I got to the 10% marker (which, at the time, was 50 GB).  All other moves/deletes before and after that worked without incident (until I got to that 10% again).  Maybe it's a combination of the two causing the problem.

brubber wrote:
    MS has published a hotfix which amongst a load of other improvements stretches the 100MB limit to 300 MB. You may wish to try it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833167

To rule out maximum allowed size of shadow copy just RDP to WHS desktop, then open explorer window, right click on C drive, choose properties, go to shadow copies tab, for all listed shadow copies set size to "no limit"

If he's moving as many GBs around as it sounds like he's doing and changes the size to no limit, he'll fill up his server space very quickly (depending on how much space he has to start with, of course).  Especially if he's moving it to another share on the server, that file would now be on the server twice (three times if it's moved to a share with duplication turned on).

Monday, November 5, 2007 1:24 AM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

(snip)

Hi, I was moving things around, saving and deleting quite a lot of data until I got everything working as I wanted (MyMovies on Vista Media Center with an XBox 360).

From now on, I only expect to save DVDs to the server, like you do, so it is unlikely that this exact scenario will happen to me again, but it has tought me that I can not trust the Previous Version client as much as I tought. It might not be there when I need it, unlike on my trusty old Windows 2003 Server. Will probably set up a daily copy to that other system, on which Shadow Copy runs well...

Thank you for your help & best regards,

Stephen

Monday, November 5, 2007 1:43 AM
  • @SErmann, I wouldn't consider your post as an answer since it doesn't really solve the problem. In the documentation of the hotfix you will find the exact same error you got and the description of it's cause. Still I may be wrong, therefore I would appreciate if WHS-team expert could follow-up on this one.

kariya21 wrote:
    Well, it only happened to me once I got to the 10% marker (which, at the time, was 50 GB).  All other moves/deletes before and after that worked without incident (until I got to that 10% again).  Maybe it's a combination of the two causing the problem.
    How did you know it was 10% at that time, and how could you tell it happened when you hit that mark? Normal behaviour if it hits the max size mark is deleting the oldest copy.This is likely to happen quite often when you are using your WHS box for a prolonges time and shouldn't result in erratic behaviour

kariya21 wrote:
    It appears to be cumulative.  In other words, you may only move 5 GB today, but if you moved another 5 GB the day before, and another 5 GB the day before that, you've moved 15 GB total.  Also, it's per physical disk, not the entire server space.  So, if the total physical drive where the files were stored was 200 GB (and in my example you've already moved 15 GB total so far), after moving 5 more GB (which would get you to a total of 20 GB in Shadow Copies and the apparent magical 10% of the physical drive), I think at that point you will get the error and flush all of your Shadow Copies.
    Shadow copies don't grow like that. You can have multiple shadow copies of a volume containing 100 GB of Data occupying a total size of less then 10 - 20 GB

Monday, November 5, 2007 1:44 AM