CleanUp Task on WHS2011 disapeared RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running WHS2011 for 2 years now. Few days ago when I tried to run CleanUp manually due to lower disk space on server alert I couldn't find it Task Library at all. Google-d this problem but can't find any solution. Can you help please.

Thank you

Sunday, November 24, 2013 3:44 AM

Answers

• Are you talking about client backup cleanup?

To run the client backup database cleanup task

1. On a client computer, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Remote Desktop Connection. Log on to the server with your administrator user account and password.

2. On the server, click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Task Scheduler.

3. In the Task Scheduler dialog box, expand Task Scheduler Library, expand Microsoft, and then click Windows Server.

4. Click the Cleanup task, and then click Run in the Action pane. The Status changes to Running until the task is complete.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/backup-cleanup-2.aspx

or is the task missing?  You can recreate with this.

Program/script: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\RunTask.exe

Arguments: /asm:"C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\BackupServerProvider.dll" /class:Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.ObjectModel.PCBackupServerManager /method:DoCleanup /task:"Cleanup"

• Edited by doug2h Monday, November 25, 2013 10:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:16 AM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 10:40 AM
  • Hi,

The lower disk space may the key reason that cause your issue. So, the cleanup task won’t be able to deletes backups from the client computer backup database according to the backup retention policy.

However, you can delete client computer backups manually. For detailed operations, please refer to the following article and check if solves your issue.

Delete the client computer backup database

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/delete-client-backup-database-2.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, December 2, 2013 1:42 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:41 AM

All replies

• Are you talking about client backup cleanup?

To run the client backup database cleanup task

1. On a client computer, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Remote Desktop Connection. Log on to the server with your administrator user account and password.

2. On the server, click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Task Scheduler.

3. In the Task Scheduler dialog box, expand Task Scheduler Library, expand Microsoft, and then click Windows Server.

4. Click the Cleanup task, and then click Run in the Action pane. The Status changes to Running until the task is complete.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/backup-cleanup-2.aspx

Arguments: /asm:"C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\BackupServerProvider.dll" /class:Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.ObjectModel.PCBackupServerManager /method:DoCleanup /task:"Cleanup"

• Edited by doug2h Monday, November 25, 2013 10:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:16 AM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 10:40 AM
  • Hi,

The lower disk space may the key reason that cause your issue. So, the cleanup task won’t be able to deletes backups from the client computer backup database according to the backup retention policy.

However, you can delete client computer backups manually. For detailed operations, please refer to the following article and check if solves your issue.

Delete the client computer backup database

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/delete-client-backup-database-2.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, December 2, 2013 1:42 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:41 AM
  • This is what I was after:

Arguments: /asm:"C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\BackupServerProvider.dll" /class:Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.ObjectModel.PCBackupServerManager /method:DoCleanup /task:"Cleanup"

Many thanks. This saved me... But I have another small issue. When I manually run the re-created Task "Cleanup" a window similar to Command Prompt appears and on the top left hand side of the window frame it says taskeng.exe... It wasn't the case before. What wrong I did in task recreation???

Once again many thanks! Very much appreciate your input and time

• Edited by Belgrave Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:11 PM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Thanks Justin Gu for your try but dought2h in his second part above provided the info I was after. Thanks anyway
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:09 PM
  • Hear is how my take shows (Default).

Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:02 AM
  • Many thanks. All sorted now. There were some punctuation mistakes in Action tab.

Appreciate your assistance and time. 

All the best

Monday, December 9, 2013 7:32 PM