Backup with Timemachine RRS feed

• Question

• OK got preview 2 running, nice access with the Macs but can't get timemachine working in this setup. All our Macs run Snow Leopard but none of them work with WHS.

I can click ' setup timemachine'  and timemachine opens but I don't see a share to backup too. I guess this should be automatic to the client computer backup folder?

Did anybody got this working?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:24 PM

Answers

• On Connect, MS marked my bug report as 'resolved' but did not give any detail if there is a fix or workaround. It leaves me puzzled. :-)
    • Marked as answer by zebrafilm Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:48 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Hi, in the current preview experience, users will need to do some manual steps for Timemachine setup.  Your bug has been marked resolved as this activity has already slated in the development process as part of the continuing MAC support development.

I have the steps you need to use as a workaround for the current preview, I just want to test them before I post them here for you which i should be able to do over the next 24 hours

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by zebrafilm Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:49 AM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:09 AM

All replies

• Please submit a bug report on Connect, but first, check any documentation to make sure you've configured everything correctly. I'm pretty sure it won't back up to the client computer backup folder.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:45 PM
  • I have posted it on the connect but wanted to know if anybody else got it working.

No, I don't expect it to backup to a standard user folder but I do expect it to backup to a 'Client Computer Backup' folder on WHS.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:05 PM
  • have you installed the WHS client connector on your Mac?

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Michael Leworthy [MSFT] Senior Technical Product Manager Windows Server - SMB Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:44 PM
  • I have run MacConnector.dmg, otherwise how woud I get Launchpad on my computer? :-0

Used http:// serverIP/connect to download. 

In general most Mac Browsers dont allow 'non FQDN' names like http://server, so I used the IP for all communication. The functions: shared folders and  and remote webaccess work as expected.

I have tested on different Macs and all have the same behavior.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:53 PM
  • I'm seeing the same issue here.
    MVP - Windows Home Server | http://www.wegotserved.com
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Terry, you can tell them here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/586895/timemachine-backup-not-working

I have just uploaded my server log file, although it seems more a problem on the Mac itself.

Hope it will be solved quickly because it was exactly the feature I was waiting for.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:48 AM
  • On Connect, MS marked my bug report as 'resolved' but did not give any detail if there is a fix or workaround. It leaves me puzzled. :-)
    • Marked as answer by zebrafilm Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:48 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Hi, in the current preview experience, users will need to do some manual steps for Timemachine setup.  Your bug has been marked resolved as this activity has already slated in the development process as part of the continuing MAC support development.

I have the steps you need to use as a workaround for the current preview, I just want to test them before I post them here for you which i should be able to do over the next 24 hours

Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by zebrafilm Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:49 AM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:09 AM
  • I reviewed the response to the submitted bug and would like to inquire on if there is a timeframe to have this bug resolved? I moved away WHS because of weak mac support before in favor of a Freenas because of the ability to create afp shares which eliminates the need to do the whole sparsebundle deal. I like the idea of having one solution that backs up every system in my home but I have 3 Macs and 4 PCs and simply don't want to have to go through this process for every single system. Thank you for providing an otherwise well rounded product.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Yes the 'Sparse trick' was already available with WHS 1 so one might wonder what this extra launchpad for Mac brings. Let's hope it will all be automatic in the next preview :-)

Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:46 PM
  • sorry for the delay, here is the process which is similer to V1 - this is currently a a manual process which at RTM will be integrated into the experience.  As we have more information about it I will share it via the forum.

1. Create SMB share on homeserver machine.
    2. Make this mac change Finder->Applications->Utilities->Terminal) and enter in the command ‘defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1. (This changes TM to support windows or non mac storage).
    3. Config Time machine from "System Preferences".
    4. Create a sparse file on the mac and copy to the homeserver share
      Servername: Server
      OSXComputerName: OSX
      MAC: 00:00:1F:12:82:92
      Size of time machine space : 200GB
      command ‘hdiutil create -size 200g -fs HFS+J -volname “OSX Backup” OSX_00001F128292.sparsebundle’
    5. Configure Time machine from "System Preferences" or press backup button in LaunchPad to enter configuration on the first time
    6. Assign the share on the Server which should be visible in Mac UI at this time.
    7. Ok Start backup.

Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:53 PM
  • this is the second time I've heard that something will not be implemented until
    RTM. how would something like this be tested with a large number of network
    configurations if it isn't (apparently) going to be in any test builds made
    available to us. Or did I misread this?

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:53:25 +0000, Michael Leworthy - MSFT - wrote:

>here is the process which is similer to V1 - this is currently a a manual process which at RTM will be integrated into the experience.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:26 AM
  • Some notes on Michael's post. Some will be obvious, but I'm a master of stating the obvious and anyway, it's surprising how often people overlook it (the obvious, that is :) ):

• For the servername, substitute your actual server name.
    • For the OSX computername: substitute the actual computer name. I believe that if your OSX computer name has embedded spaces or certain other characters you will have to change the computer name.
    • For the MAC address: substitute the actual MAC address for the Mac. If you have multiple network interfaces I expect this will be complicated, but I don't have a Mac. (Too many Macs in this bullet point...)
    • For the creation of the sparse file, substitute the actual computername for the second occurence of OSX in the hdutil command, and the actual MAC address for 00001F128292.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:19 PM
  • I agree, Barb. When a release candidate is available, it will need to be feature complete. Otherwise it is not, by definition, a "release candidate".
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:21 PM
  • All I gotta say, Ken, is that you're a Gem, and no wonder you're an MVP! :)

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"Ken Warren [MVP]" wrote in message news:711a5d3d-dc2e-4365-9c65-7aae8880cb2c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Some notes on Michael's post. Some will be obvious, but I'm a master of stating the obvious and anyway, it's surprising how often people overlook it (the obvious, that is :) ):

* For the servername, substitute your actual server name.
    * For the OSX computername: substitute the actual computer name. I believe that if your OSX computer name has embedded spaces or certain other characters you will have to change the computer name.
    * For the MAC address: substitute the actual MAC address for the Mac. If you have multiple network interfaces I expect this will be complicated, but I don't have a Mac. (Too many Macs in this bullet point...)
    * For the creation of the sparse file, substitute the actual computername for the second occurence of OSX in the hdutil command, and the actual MAC address for 00001F128292.

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:19 PM
  • hi Ken,

My mac knowledge could be much better... ;-)

How do I create a sparse file ?

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:32 PM
  • How do I create a sparse file ?

<shrug>

By using the command in Michael Leworthy's post above?

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:50 PM
  • ok, I get it now

I thought a text file must be created first, including all the given parameters, and that the hdiutil command only reads contents of the text file (like configuration info)

I just noticed, that there is no SERVERNAME parameter in its syntax to be substituted with my server name.

I'll try with syntax given in Michael Leworthy's post first.

Thank you for help.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:13 PM
  • sorry for the delay, here is the process which is similer to V1 - this is currently a a manual process which at RTM will be integrated into the experience.  As we have more information about it I will share it via the forum.

1. Create SMB share on homeserver machine.
    2. Make this mac change Finder->Applications->Utilities->Terminal) and enter in the command ‘defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1. (This changes TM to support windows or non mac storage).
    3. Config Time machine from "System Preferences".
    4. Create a sparse file on the mac and copy to the homeserver share
      Servername: Server
      OSXComputerName: OSX
      MAC: 00:00:1F:12:82:92
      Size of time machine space : 200GB
      command ‘hdiutil create -size 200g -fs HFS+J -volname “OSX Backup” OSX_00001F128292.sparsebundle’
    5. Configure Time machine from "System Preferences" or press backup button in LaunchPad to enter configuration on the first time
    6. A ssign the share on the Server which should be visible in Mac UI at this time.
    7. Ok Start backup.

Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation

Hi everyone,

it seems that it doesn't work for me.

I get error 45 in Time Machine when it try to do the backup...

I used this command line for the sparse file : hdiutil create -size 100g -fs HFS+J -volname "TMA" IMACAD_002608f46567.sparsebundle

Is this correct ?

• Proposed as answer by xsteph Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:09 PM
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 4:55 PM
  • I had the same issue, and with this http://www.levelofindirection.com/journal/2009/10/10/using-a-networked-drive-for-time-machine-backups-on-a-mac.html 

it seems to be working. My problem seems to be the MAC address.

Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:11 PM
  • It might be worth pointing out (because I have only seen it mentioned once, and discovered it myself by trial and error) that the MAC address used must be that associated with en0 (as reported in the ifconfig command). In other words, if you are backing up over a wireless (airport) connection, don't use the MAC address of the airport adapter - use the one associated with the  wired ethernet adapter!
    Friday, November 19, 2010 9:00 PM