firefox and real player RRS feed

• Question

• do you think real player and firefox will be more popular than ever because of windows genuine advantage. basically all the bootleg users that used to be able to use windows media player and ie will have to find something else in the future
    Thursday, May 25, 2006 6:36 AM

Answers

• That is entirely possible and we cannot speculate on how many times a customer will look into doing this. What I can say is that it is definitely their choice and we respect their freedom of choice.

That being said, I would also like to mention that even more importantly than our install base is our desire to ensure Windows user are getting the benefits and security that come with a Genuine copy of Windows.

Thank you for your feedback!!!

dave

Monday, May 29, 2006 6:05 AM

All replies

• That is entirely possible and we cannot speculate on how many times a customer will look into doing this. What I can say is that it is definitely their choice and we respect their freedom of choice.

That being said, I would also like to mention that even more importantly than our install base is our desire to ensure Windows user are getting the benefits and security that come with a Genuine copy of Windows.

Thank you for your feedback!!!

dave

Monday, May 29, 2006 6:05 AM
  • Real Player...?!! You must be joking!  I would much rather buy windows at 5 times the price if it meant that I never had to have Real Player installed on my machine,... ever.

Unfortunately, I doubt that is the case.

There are alternatives to Real Player (and Quicktime) to play files from those die hard sites that still use those formats.

Hopefully Real Networks will soon be relegated to the spybot pen with the likes of "hotbar" and other such invasive and abusive bogusware.  And Quicktime.... pfft, what a racket.  Even if you do finally give in to the nag screen and buy the full version, your license will expire when the new version comes out a few months later.

This kind of "bogusware" is definitely not long for this world.

The very best software is written by and for the open source community with the idea that information (technology) should be available to every last human being on earth regardless of their economic capacities.

I'm glad to see ms's stance of ensuring the safest environment for windows users. Windows is quite a good (ish) product.  Hopefully they will come around to the open source model before their inevitable demise. 

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:03 AM