Folder duplication, killed my HDD? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Enabled folder duplication as per a note in my WHS for dummies book (hey its helped me ok)
    and upon coming back to my server hours later loads of storage errors and that one of the HDDs had died.

may sound like a silly question, but lets say I have 500GB of data on one of the folders does that mean if I enable folder duplication I need 1TB free for that folder alone?
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 4:18 PM

All replies

• If you have 500 GB of data in a duplicated folder, you sure need 500 MB more to store the duplicates on other disks.
    And no, usually duplicating is not killing a harddisk - this harddisk may have been broken by other reasons (in a narrow case overheating can happen for some models, if there are extended write operations).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Right, panic over.

I turned off duplication on all folders and restarted my server.
    It seems that one of the HDDs 'disappeared' from the storage pool and upon turning off duplication which I think took the drives over their limits in terms of space and the restart all was ok.

Very odd, but it would seem that the duplication made all the errors?
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Since you did not tell us any error messages in detail, it is hard to tell.
    But yes, if there is not enough storage on other data disks for duplicating a folder with duplication on, you will face errors.
    (Since duplication will not be successfully.)

A disk disappearing from the storage pool is another thing, but can also have various causes. Was it an internal disk or a USB drive?

Olaf
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 10:09 PM
  • It was an internal disk, the errors seemed to be caused by lack of space, the drive drive disapearing would account for this.
    But it seems to have been caused by folder duplication.

The reason I originally asked if you have lets say I have 500GB of data on one of the folders does that mean if I enable folder duplication I need 1TB free for that folder alone?

Is because when I enabled duplication on a 11GB shared folder and looked in the storage section, in orange it said duplicated folder space and showed it as only around 800MB rather than 11GB so I thought it took like a small image rather than a full duplicate of a folder.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:02 AM
  • Duplication always requires an identical amount of space on a different physical disk. This can be distributed on one or on multiple disks, if there is not much free space on any of the drives and more data is added to the shared folder.
    If you have one 80 GB disk as system drive and a 1 TB disk as secondary, and you add more than 60 GB in total to a duplicated folder, there will not be enough space to duplicate all data.
    The same happens, if the only other free disk appears from storage pool due to a hardware or software failure.

Olaf
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:41 AM