onecare will not start RRS feed

• Question

• onecare did an automatic update today - 0110/08,

a restart of my Windows XP system was required to complete the update.

now OneCare fails to start - service not active.

how do I activate the service.

thank you

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:22 AM

Answers

• The problem with OneCare starting up has been resolved.

I added an additional 1GB of memory, and now OneCare starts up fine.

I got the memory at Circuit City for $45.00.  (This deal was too good to pass up).

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:27 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem.  What's up with that???

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:50 AM
  • I just finished chat with support.  They gave me this tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=70adca25-950c-4b1b-a5e2-297e80aa67b1&DisplayLang=en

Save it, and then right-click on it and run as administrator.  It worked!!!

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:49 AM
  • If the tool, described here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2667445&SiteID=2 - doesn't work, then see this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

If that doesn't help, either, please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 1:48 PM
  • I finally managed to find the services command and started OneCare manually.

The update installed a new version of OneCare (v2) and appears to be working correctly.

I tried several times to contact support using the confusing maze that has been implemented.

When I finally got to the send email option and filled in the form, it simply timed out with "try again later".

Something very bad has happened to support.  It used to be fairly easy to send a request, now it is impossible.

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Now that you've gotten OneCare to start manually, have you rebooted and does it require a manual restart again or does it function normally?

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:07 PM
  • I'm not sure if it will start on reboot.  I will try it when I get home and let you know.

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:37 PM
  • I just rebooted this computer, OneCare did not start.  Had to do it manually.

The odd thing is, I have OneCare installed my laptop as well. The update worked perfectly.

The only difference is, the laptop has XP Home and the desktop has XP Professional.

Friday, January 11, 2008 11:57 PM
  • hi M8

see the post "oncare want start after update v2"

if not follow this:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:42 AM
  •  Jraym51598 wrote:

I just rebooted this computer, OneCare did not start.  Had to do it manually.

The odd thing is, I have OneCare installed my laptop as well. The update worked perfectly.

The only difference is, the laptop has XP Home and the desktop has XP Professional.

Well, I'm sorry that it requires the manual start for now. Do check to see if the other posts I directed you to will fix the problem for you. The post above this one also refers to one of those posts about services that need to be started for OneCare.

-steve

Saturday, January 12, 2008 3:18 AM
  • Nothing works, including contacting support (error sending file to support).

What a shame, I used to really like this product - took it when it was still Beta.

Back then, support worked.

I will continue to start OneCare manually unit I can find a sutiable replacement.

Thank you Stephen for your efforts.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Jraym51598, please email me at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line of "OneCare" and a link to this thread in the message body. Tell me what country you are in, too, please.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:53 PM
  • I am experiencing a similar problem with WLOC.   Somehow, WLOC got stuck during an update, and ever since it has been unable to start.  I have tried to uninstall it using the OneCare Cleanup tool, I have also used CaclsDeleteDB and the tool for Virus and Anti Spyware.  Nothing has worked, I cannot get OneCare to start, and this messes up my PC as well.  I cannot get my PC to reboot, I literally have to power down, wait 30 and then power back up.  It is also interferring with IE 7.0, I cannot access a webpage with it, yet Mozilla works fine, as does e-mail in Outlook.  And it is also stopping Control Panel from opening, I get the flashlight and the folder when I double click on Control Panel, and it stays like that forever. I have no idea what has happened, all I would like to be able to do is get this piece of *** off my machine without having to format the hard drive.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:49 AM
  • UPDATE:  I was able to get into Control Panel, turns out CaclsDeleteDB continued to run in the background even after I had closed it.  Once I terminated it in Task Manager, I was able to get into Control Panel. 

Also wanted to make clear that the OneCare services are running in the background. Virus, Firewall and Anti Spyware.  Problem is, I cannot launch the OneCare portal that allows me to manipulate these programs.  And the OneCare icon no longer appears in the system tray.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:02 AM
  •  Jonathan68 wrote:
    UPDATE:  I was able to get into Control Panel, turns out CaclsDeleteDB continued to run in the background even after I had closed it.  Once I terminated it in Task Manager, I was able to get into Control Panel. 

Also wanted to make clear that the OneCare services are running in the background. Virus, Firewall and Anti Spyware.  Problem is, I cannot launch the OneCare portal that allows me to manipulate these programs.  And the OneCare icon no longer appears in the system tray.

I'm sorry to read of the problems you've encountered. Your case sounds like issues we saw in the past with corruption of .Net Framework 2.0. Go to add/remove programs, locate and select .Net Framework 2.0 (assuming this is on XP) and when the uninstaller launches, select repair.

If you're using Vista or the above doesn't solve it, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:56 PM
  • The problem with OneCare starting up has been resolved.

I added an additional 1GB of memory, and now OneCare starts up fine.

I got the memory at Circuit City for $45.00.  (This deal was too good to pass up).

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:27 PM
  • I thought that I had a problem too.  It turns out that OneCare was working fine.  Vista was just hiding an "inactive" icon.  To retify it: R click on Start.  L click on properties.  L click on notification area.  Under icons L click on customize.  Next to  Windows Live OneCare (Status...  , select "Show" click out on--OK--Apply--OK; and things worked for me. 

I can't understand why the problem recurs each time I restart Vista, but it's easy enough to fix. 

Monday, February 11, 2008 4:49 AM