Server Backups always fail on new USB drive RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 3TB external drive to backup my WHS 2011 Server. I ran the Server Backup Wizard which recognized the drive and configured (formatted?) it for Server backups. The problem is it has never done a backup.

I've tried 3x, each time removing folders to backup, so that now I've only asked it to backup 60 GB. Each time I get the same error messages:

The scheduled backup did not finish and returned the following error code: 2155348010. The request could not be performed because of an I/0 device error.

The Windows Eventlog-Application echos that error, but adds "...  (One of the backup files could not be created.)"

Bucky
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:50 PM

All replies

• Interesting! Of course WHS2011 can only use 2TB of your 3TB drive. I would be interested to hear if it has been reformatted as a 2TB partition with the rest of the space unused?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:01 PM
  • If memory serves, there is an issue with Windows Server 2008 (inlcuding R2, the version underlying Windows Home Server 2011) and advanced format drives that report themselves to the operating system as having 4096 byte sectors (which is likely the case for your drive). The issue is that server backup is unable to use these disks as a backup target. See if there's a way to configure your drive to report it's sector size as 512 bytes. I can't find the KB article that mentions this, unfortunately. 

Also worth trying:

• Manually partition the drive into 2 TB and "everything else" partitions and try again.
    • Run chkdsk /r on the drive. This will likely take a long time. If the "device I/O error" indicates an actual error (bad sector, usually), chkdsk /r may fix it.

If none of the above helps, you'll probably need to replace the drive with one that's smaller.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Man do I miss WHS V1! It just worked. I haven't found anything better about WHS 2011. Only missing features (drive spanning) and hidden restrictions like the ones you mention Ken. Wouldn't it be nice if MS actually posted the 2TB limit somewhere?

It would be nice to hear from someone on the Microsoft team here.

So....I repartitioned the disk with a 2TB volume with a sector size of 512. And the backup wizard (Customize Server Backup) kindly offered the following:

After that process, Disk Manager reports things are back the way they were before I repartitioned the drive.

And the backup is still unsuccessful. 

Bucky
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Bucky,

Did you find a work around other than using a smaller drive?  I have exactly the same issue – I bought Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 3TB external drive and am getting the same error (should have read here first !!).  I’ve tried manually reformatting the drive with two <2tb partitions but when WHS11 goes to set the new partition up as the backup drive, it sees the partition and the unallocated space and lumps them together  (I tried creating, naming two small partitions -- but it did the same and made one big drive that WHS couldn’t read). As a USB drive, making it a GUID partition table disk is not an option.   

I’ve tried assigning the big partition (there is no option within WHS to alter the size of the backup disk, it only sees the whole drive as part of backup setup) within WHS and then going back after and making it smaller with Disk Management – still get the error when trying to back up – same as yours below.  Curiously, WHS sees it as a smaller drive (say 1.5 TB) but still can't write to it per the I/O error below. 

Would love to use this big beefy USB drive to back up my server … does anyone have any ideas how to get WHS to recognize it.  Is there a way to partition the drive so that WHS11 sees it as two hard drives and therefore doesn’t try to combine them?

-- Nat   

Nat
    Friday, December 16, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Hey guys with the Seagate Hard Drives STAC3000102 other known as the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 3 TB external I have found a work around. It may not be exactly what you are looking for but it maybe. What I have done is taken the Seagate off its dock and connected it directly as an internal hdd (you can reference this also http://www.anandtech.com/show/3858/the-worlds-first-3tb-hdd-seagate-goflex-desk-3tb-review). I got the idea from the website to trim the SATA cables to make a connection WITH OUT DISASSEMBLING the case. So what you can do is buy an extra SATA cable and a molex(4 pin) to SATA connector and trim those so you dont have to worry about ruining your power supply cables or your original SATA cables if you don't have alot hanging around. So what you are doing is bypassing the conversion done on the dock that takes the original specs of the drive from 512b sectors (the internal drive specs) to 4k (4096b) conversion. You can get a further explaination of why it is being converted to 4k in the article I referenced, and it wasn't for them to piss people off but rather to accomodate storage/performance progress. So now that you have a drive connected that supports 512b allocations (sectors) you should be able to use this drive as the backup drive for your server. Keep in mind you will probably have to go into disk management still and initialize the drive (Right-click My Computer>Manage>Storage>Disk Management) I also did use it as a GPT, I don't know why natbr though you can't, I had to previously to have support for over 2tb's of data on my RAID array and for the external before I had it working for backup. Also to clear up something that I have seen on the forums about the 2TB limit, You can have a backup drive of over 2TB's. The 2TB limit refers to the backup image format that WHS backs up the server with, not to be confused with the client computer backups. WHS uses VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) format to make an image of your server, VHD has a limit of 2TB. So what that means is as long as the source of what your backing up as an image does not exceed 2TB you should be able to back it up to a drive of as large as you want (I am being sarcastic and not considering unrelated limitations that may come up but at least a 3TB drive). So again your destination can be Larger than 2TB's, your source of backup cannot exceed 2TB in VHD format. Also this should not be a major limitation depending on your set up, exampling my setup, I have a HDD for my server O/S of an insignificant size, lets say 500GB cause I think thats all that I had lying around, but my OS only takes up 60GB so you could have a HDD of 120GB because your server O/S shoulding be cluddered up with alot of data. In additions I have (3) 2TB HDD's in a RAID-5 Array which gives me roughly 3.6TB of data(if your not familiar with RAID look it up on wikipedia), and in order to have that large of a single volume on Windows it needs to be in a GPT. So my disk management page looks like 3 DISK's right now DISK 0 is 500GB for my server O/S, DISK 1 is 3.6TB GPT RAID-5 which is may share drive and also has my client computer backups, and DISK 2 about 3TB which is the Seagate GPT, Realistically you could change this around to have DISK 0 to include your client computer backups, or data, it does not matter on the configuration. Also noted, I would like to add as an extention of the RAID array conversation bit, I would ideally like to have a RAID-1 set up with larger HDD's say, 4TB or 3TB but when I set it up it was not an option. The reason for this is that in RAID-5 my worry is not with a HDD failing but with My Motherboard failing and if that happens I would then be unable to access my data, and this would be much better setup cause I would then beable to get at my data if one failed.

Ok everyone I really hope this helps someone I usually don't post to forums but I feel I had something that actually might help people, Excuse me for my spotty punctuation, grammar, sentence structure, and any confusing things that I may have said.

And lastly here are some other forums that I researched why finding a solutions.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/5d9e2f23-ee70-4d41-8bfc-c9c4068ee4e2/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1780.external-backup-drives-compatibility-list.aspx

Enjoy,

Devin

Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:49 PM