Can't connect to the Vail Server RRS feed

• Question

• I can't connect any computers on my network to the Vail server.  I see the server in Explorer, under networks, and when I type in the http://servername it won't connect.  The troubleshooter says "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (my actual and correct server name) is not responding."  I tried pinging the server, and it responds.  Any suggestions? 
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:58 PM

Answers

• Update your host file with your data like this

192.168.1.XXX Yourservername

• Marked as answer by LewDelMar Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:01 PM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:34 PM

All replies

• You may have a static ip address set in your client machines if you do remove the static ip address and let dhcp assign the address and try connecting then , also make sure you are using IE to connect with
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:36 PM
  • I have a dynamic ip address, as shown in the router DHCP and if I ping the address, it responds.  However, if I try to ping the server by name, it doesn't succeed.  I've trid re-installing the software several times, but no luck.  Meanwhile, my HP Media Home Server works just fine.  Been fooling with this thing for over a day, and can't figure it out.  Thanks for the suggestion; any other?  

Do I have to open a port to allow communication with the server, and if so, which port?  Again. I didn't have to do that with my HP WHS.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:18 PM
  • Update your host file with your data like this

192.168.1.XXX Yourservername

• Marked as answer by LewDelMar Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:01 PM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Thanks for your help... it worked.  Strange, as i thought that seeing the server in the router DHCP list was sufficient, but it was not.  Anyhow, i made the changes and was able to connect to the VAIL server.

However, when i tried to install the VAIL connector, i got an error message saying that i couldn't connect two servers at the same time, and therefore i needed to remove one connector.  I currently have an HP WHS connected to the network, and that's the problem, which I can obviously fix.  Still, that's too bad, as I had wanted to run boith systems at the same time so I could see what are the relative advantages of VAIL over the old WHS.  I wonder if you, or anyone else for that matter, might have a suggestion for a workaround which would allow me to do this?

Thanks again!!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Microsoft has said that they will not support having the same client computer joined to both V1 and Vail at the same time. You can, however, have both versions of Windows Home Server on your network at the same time, with some clients joined to one, and some to the other.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:09 AM