none
Exam 70-536 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have completed my Bachalor`s degree in computer science. Now i am in search of job, in order to make myself employable i thought of doing MCTS 70-536 certification. I dont have any experience in . Net and also i m not in the position to join any courses also. So i thought of reading the self paced training kit provided by Microsoft . So can i pass the examination by reading that book as a fresher.

please help me with your suggestions and advice.

Regards,

Sowrabha

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:10 PM

Answers

• Hi, I have to say that your approach sounds a bit akward. You say you don't have any knowledge of .Net and yet you are willing to take an exam based on the training kit. Let me tell you that 70-536 isn't some easy exam you can just pass. First of you need to get hands on with some excercises for which you can download visual studio express edition to start with. Then find some beginner tutorials on programming .Net and use you degree in computer science to get familiar with the programming language. The .Net framework is huge and will take a lot of experience and practicing. A company that hires you will expect knowledge of .Net when you are MCTS and if you just passed the exam with no experience at all it will bounce back to you. So take the time to study. Take it step by step. Use the trainingkit but practice a lot. Ask questions in the Visual Studio forums and read white papers on .Net (you can find those on msdn.microsoft.com As for job hunting tell the companies that you are not done learning and that you are in the process of getting certified. That will show your willingness to learn besides the job. Good luck with studying ;-) Maurice
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:52 PM
  • First I have to agree to Maurice.

But I want to extend it: I always found teh Self-Paced Training Kits a great ressource to learn the technology. The books really show you some parts of the network that are not that widley used so you get a good overview.

So yes: The Self-Paced Training Kit is a great thing and I can only tell you: Go and grab it if you want to get an understanding of .Net.

But if you do not have any experience with .Net, the book is not enough! You have to read other books, too. SO first a book would be great to get an introduction to C# or VB.Net. When you know the C# stuff and youc an create a Windows Forms and Windows Console application, I think that the self-paced training kit will be great. The big reason is: it gives you examples to play with. If you want to take the exam (I think I read something about "2 years of experience" required!) you should really play around with everything so you get a deep understanding! And for that you need to read more about everything you use on MSDN on get another book. (The Self Paced Training kit does not contain everything you need. So if you just get the book and sit in an exam: I fear you will not be able to pass :) ).

That was my experience in the past. So one example I can give you from my view is: I only did some eay SQL statements in the past and I had to do much more work on the SQL Server. (Complex stored procedures and using XML in a database and such stuff). A Colleague was doing it, but I was considered as "backup". So I started liek I did always: Self-Paced Training Kit. (I have the eReference Library so it was an easy step.) Then quickly I got to a point where I simply said: "What the heck is the author writing?". It was a good and nice description, but I missed to much. So I got another book and read a full chapter about the stuff the author gave in 2 pages or so. So I used 2 books. At the end I said: Great. Now I want to take the exam (My Employer paid it, nice thing :) ) It was nothing required but it was something like a "Proof that I understood it" or "Proof that I spend so much of my sparetime on it!". At the end of the exam you get a printout that shows you, how strong you was in the different areas and you could directly see, where I was able to play around a lot and where I didn't play around that muss (= lack of experience). Creating tables, queries, whatever: No problem at all. SOme other stuff like deep analysis and profiling and so: I could have been better ...

And I always saw that in all my exams I did so far: Without really using something i was never that good. Stuff that I really used and played around with: Never a problem. I passed all my exams so far (I hope that series will not break :) ) but my experience really is: PRACTICE! Nothing is better than really play around with something. And that takes a lot of time.

I can only tell you: If you want to be a .Net developer: DO IT! You will learn a lot and you get a much better and deeper understanding than most other developers (that I have meet so far).

I hope that helped a little,

Konrad

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:56 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi, I have to say that your approach sounds a bit akward. You say you don't have any knowledge of .Net and yet you are willing to take an exam based on the training kit. Let me tell you that 70-536 isn't some easy exam you can just pass. First of you need to get hands on with some excercises for which you can download visual studio express edition to start with. Then find some beginner tutorials on programming .Net and use you degree in computer science to get familiar with the programming language. The .Net framework is huge and will take a lot of experience and practicing. A company that hires you will expect knowledge of .Net when you are MCTS and if you just passed the exam with no experience at all it will bounce back to you. So take the time to study. Take it step by step. Use the trainingkit but practice a lot. Ask questions in the Visual Studio forums and read white papers on .Net (you can find those on msdn.microsoft.com As for job hunting tell the companies that you are not done learning and that you are in the process of getting certified. That will show your willingness to learn besides the job. Good luck with studying ;-) Maurice
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:52 PM
  • First I have to agree to Maurice.

But I want to extend it: I always found teh Self-Paced Training Kits a great ressource to learn the technology. The books really show you some parts of the network that are not that widley used so you get a good overview.

So yes: The Self-Paced Training Kit is a great thing and I can only tell you: Go and grab it if you want to get an understanding of .Net.

But if you do not have any experience with .Net, the book is not enough! You have to read other books, too. SO first a book would be great to get an introduction to C# or VB.Net. When you know the C# stuff and youc an create a Windows Forms and Windows Console application, I think that the self-paced training kit will be great. The big reason is: it gives you examples to play with. If you want to take the exam (I think I read something about "2 years of experience" required!) you should really play around with everything so you get a deep understanding! And for that you need to read more about everything you use on MSDN on get another book. (The Self Paced Training kit does not contain everything you need. So if you just get the book and sit in an exam: I fear you will not be able to pass :) ).

That was my experience in the past. So one example I can give you from my view is: I only did some eay SQL statements in the past and I had to do much more work on the SQL Server. (Complex stored procedures and using XML in a database and such stuff). A Colleague was doing it, but I was considered as "backup". So I started liek I did always: Self-Paced Training Kit. (I have the eReference Library so it was an easy step.) Then quickly I got to a point where I simply said: "What the heck is the author writing?". It was a good and nice description, but I missed to much. So I got another book and read a full chapter about the stuff the author gave in 2 pages or so. So I used 2 books. At the end I said: Great. Now I want to take the exam (My Employer paid it, nice thing :) ) It was nothing required but it was something like a "Proof that I understood it" or "Proof that I spend so much of my sparetime on it!". At the end of the exam you get a printout that shows you, how strong you was in the different areas and you could directly see, where I was able to play around a lot and where I didn't play around that muss (= lack of experience). Creating tables, queries, whatever: No problem at all. SOme other stuff like deep analysis and profiling and so: I could have been better ...

And I always saw that in all my exams I did so far: Without really using something i was never that good. Stuff that I really used and played around with: Never a problem. I passed all my exams so far (I hope that series will not break :) ) but my experience really is: PRACTICE! Nothing is better than really play around with something. And that takes a lot of time.

I can only tell you: If you want to be a .Net developer: DO IT! You will learn a lot and you get a much better and deeper understanding than most other developers (that I have meet so far).

I hope that helped a little,

Konrad

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:56 AM
    Answerer