How do I browse a single forum? RRS feed

• Question

• Before this awful redesign, if I wanted to browse a single forum, I could go to the full forum list, find the one I wanted, and browse it. Unless I've missed something, which is entirely possible given the totally counter-intuitive and unfriendly redesign, I don't seem to be able to do that anymore.

Please someone tell me I'm wrong, and that this redesign isn't quite as a disaster as it looks to me.

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:26 PM

All replies

• Your best option is to add individual forms to your My Forums list and then launch them into individual tabs from there. That's how I've been handling it so far.

There's an article going with suggested changes to the "upgrade" here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17968.new-forums-design-suggestions-impressions-ideas.aspx?PageIndex=1

There are voting threads going in the suggestions forum, if you don't see one for a change you'd like to see you should start one up and add it to the wiki article. The only way we'll get change is by making noise.

Don't retire TechNet!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

Your best option is to add individual forms to your My Forums list and then launch them into individual tabs from there. That's how I've been handling it so far.

How do I add them now? It used to be easy, but like everything else in this awful botch of a redesign, they've made it very difficult. I can't see a link to add a forum.

There's an article going with suggested changes to the "upgrade" here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17968.new-forums-design-suggestions-impressions-ideas.aspx?PageIndex=1

There are voting threads going in the suggestions forum, if you don't see one for a change you'd like to see you should start one up and add it to the wiki article. The only way we'll get change is by making noise.

I wish I shared your confidence. From what I've seen, Microsoft's response to the overwhelmingly negative feedback has been along the lines of "thank you for your feedback, we are interested in your opinion, but we are going to ignore it completely and continue with our own ideas until you either give up or go somewhere else."

Don't retire TechNet!

If it's useful, then they will :)

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 2:33 PM
  • I completely agree that the method of adding to My Forums has been made entirely too confusing. There's an article going with some screenshots here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/8739.msdntechnet-forums-how-to-add-a-forum-to-my-forums.aspx

I wish my confidence level was higher, but Microsoft is making it hard to stay positive. All of this fuss over the forum redesign will be completely moot if TechNet dies though. If I don't have TechNet, I can't help people in the forums.

We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath.

Don't retire TechNet!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Look just under the Quick Access on the Top Left there are several expandable > see image

Chris Ward

• Proposed as answer by KCDW Monday, July 8, 2013 8:52 PM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

I saw that quick access, but if I want to browse just one forum, I have to deselect every other forum, then remember to go back and change the selection if I want to browser another. Plus, I imagine the selection is stored in a cookie, so I won't be able to have two tabs open with different forums.

This redesign is about the worst in Microsoft's recent spate of poor designs. I thought Windows 8 was bad, but at least that is partly usable, albeit with some extra keystrokes needed to accomplish tasks that were previously simple. This forum disaster renders them pretty unusable altogether.

Maybe this is all part of the plan. They probably figure that we'll get so frustrated at the lack of peer support, as people will stop using the forums, and we'll all go and pay Microsoft huge amounts of money for their paid support. Well, they got that wrong. The more I see of where Microsoft is going recently, the more I look around at what else is in the marketplace.

Thanks for nothing Microsoft.

Sunday, July 7, 2013 1:55 PM
  • I saw that quick access, but if I want to browse just one forum, I have to deselect every other forum, then remember to go back and change the selection if I want to browser another.

As with a group of forums, I think the best way is to create a browser bookmark/favorite.

I actually think that, using this method, the browsing of forums is better than before. Much more flexible than browsing using single forums and/or My Threads.

The new layout is however quite horrendous IMHO, both in the forum view and individual thread view. And the composition editor is as irritating as ever.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, July 7, 2013 2:35 PM
  • 1) I won't be able to have two tabs open with different forums.

2) This redesign is about the worst in Microsoft's recent spate of poor designs.

3) This forum disaster renders them pretty unusable altogether.

4) They probably figure that we'll get so frustrated at the lack of peer support, as people will stop using the forums, and we'll all go and pay Microsoft huge amounts of money for their paid support.

5) The more I see of where Microsoft is going recently, the more I look around at what else is in the marketplace.

1) Tested with10 Tabs open to 10 different Forums. Each functions independently of the other.

2) I have respect for peoples creativity here. There are those who love and create and those who hate and destroy.

3) The changes in the Forums are reasonably usable. There was a small amount of relearning for the new layout and it will continue but overall I like it.

4) This sounds incredibly delusional.

5) I think you will come to like the changes even more after they are refined.

Chris Ward

Monday, July 8, 2013 1:30 PM
  • 1) Tested with10 Tabs open to 10 different Forums. Each functions independently of the other.

I stand corrected then.

2) I have respect for peoples creativity here. There are those who love and create and those who hate and destroy.

I also have respect for creativity, but not at the expense of usability. If you look at the surveys done on this new design, you'll find that those who like the new design are far outnumbered by those who don't. See this survey for example. That shows an overwhelmingly negative response, as do the two previous surveys.

As for your last comment, I am not a hater, nor a destroyer, I am a frustrated user who comes to these forums for help and advice, as well as to help others when I can. I'm less bothered about the visual design than I am about the usability issues.

3) The changes in the Forums are reasonably usable. There was a small amount of relearning for the new layout and it will continue but overall I like it.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. I will remain with the vast majority who feel that the changes negatively impact the usability of the forums.

It's not a matter of relearning, it's a matter of not reducing the usability.

4) This sounds incredibly delusional.

IT WAS A JOKE!

5) I think you will come to like the changes even more after they are refined.

"Even more" implies that I like them at the moment. Sorry to disappoint you, but I have yet to find a single redeeming feature of the new design. I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic.

If they refine the changes, then I may come to like them, but if they continue to ignore the huge amount of negative feedback and leave the forums as they are, then I can't see why I would like them when I don't now. Even if I relearn, and work out how to use the new design, that's just learning how to work around the problem, it's not addressing the intrinsic problem.

Don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion, but would be grateful if you didn't imply that I was wrong just because i disagree with you. This is mainly a subjective issue, and I happen to be with the significant majority whose opinion is that the new design has major flaws with it.

Monday, July 8, 2013 2:13 PM
  • I respect your opinion also. Maybe we can agree that we don't agree and move on.

More to the point I was wondering since your specific question to this thread was how do I browse 1 Forum only, I believe that I answered that question exactly and also added additionally information in my post dated Wednesday, July 03, 2013 7:56 PM and at least the first part of Testing in 10 Forums on 10 Tabs about 4 and 3/4 hours ago.

If you agree that these did answer your specific question, will you mark them as Helpful and Answer?

Thank you!

Chris Ward

Monday, July 8, 2013 6:13 PM